Bear Webcam 2011

Brown Bear Webcam in Alutaguse Forest
macdoum

Re: Bear Webcam

Post by macdoum »

Read this;
http://www.bearsmart.com/docs/black-bea ... -et-al.pdf

Peole who live in areas frequented by bears,or any wild animal have learnt to keep their garbage 'safe' from them. i.e. metal locked bins.!
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
cougar

Post by cougar »

That's too sad about that wolf.
But the point is, that the bear population here had grown in numbers explosively, we're not talking about 2 or 20 bears, but of many hundred. That is quite different for our little country as it is for Northern America. And so it is more and more common, that the path of bear crosses with humans. Thank god they don't eat humans as it was at the "swedish time" about 1700, lol.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

cougar wrote: ...
But the point is, that the bear population here had grown in numbers explosively, we're not talking about 2 or 20 bears, but of many hundred. That is quite different for our little country as it is for Northern America. And so it is more and more common, that the path of bear crosses with humans. Thank god they don't eat humans as it was at the "swedish time" about 1700, lol.
And here even one is posing a huge problem, so huge that they had to kill it the first chance they got (as far as I remember only hours before they finally would have forbidden the hunters shooting it)! The wolf was posing a problem for the people sending their cows and sheeps up to mountain pastures (so did the bear).
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

:offtobed: I'm off to bed now! Maybe the "night shift" will be able to see one or more bears again? Good luck! :wave:

And good night! :wave:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

It is very dark there now.
What happened to the "night vision"? It looked ike a light from a power source rather than infra-red. Still, we may see something - - -
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Jo UK wrote:It is very dark there now.
What happened to the "night vision"? It looked ike a light from a power source rather than infra-red. Still, we may see something - - -
:puzzled: I thought it was my cam and somebody mentioned 'lightning' the cam.
It is so much darker the the other two nights....pity..
Did you find out Jo who the people,motorbike and cover-cam ,were ?
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Macdoum, No. There has been no reply to my e-mail.
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

:loveshower: I saw the bear also at 22:52

he left to the left side some steps then he stocked and it seems he laid down for a short while and then left at all. But it is to see not so good - for this the pic must be bigger. So I don't put it here.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Bleggi, I zoomed the page with your picture on it, then I used Windows Snipping Tool to crop the bear from the enlarged image.

Here it is, bear shaped but a bit dark!
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Good evening! I just logged on & learned that you all saw a bear in good light. Hooray, I am glad. As for why the cam was covered-- perhaps it was nude sunbathers who did not want the world to see? :peek: :rotf: (sorry, could not resist that . . .)

As to bears, I am glad Macdoum posted info about the North American studies. I have some links to websites doing studies on bears. You will learn a lot about bears, particularly about Lily & Hope & the new cub, Faith. Bears are bears, the same behavior everywhere. Lily is the mother bear whose den had a cam in it last year so that hundreds of thousands of people watched her give birth to Hope, & the same again this year with Faith. The BBC keeps going to the bear center to make TV films about these bears & the researchers who work with them (Bearwalker of the North Woods, also The Bear Family & Me-- with Gordon Buchanan).

Links:
http://www.bear.org/website/
At this website, you can find a live webcam that often has 1 to 3 bears on it. They reside in a specially-designed rehabilitation compound; they had been raised in captivity but rescued. Though they cannot be returned to an entirely wild existence, they are provided with as close as possible to the real thing.

http://www.bearstudy.org/website/
At the above website, click on the "Research" tab & then the "Daily Updates" link to read the ongoing story about Lily & her cubs. Brit has been posting these daily updates in the "Other Birds & Animals, The Black Bear Cam - Lily and Hope" forum here on Looduskalender.
Kitty KCMO
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Kitty KCMO wrote:Good evening! I just logged on & learned that you all saw a bear in good light. Hooray, I am glad. As for why the cam was covered-- perhaps it was nude sunbathers who did not want the world to see? :peek: :rotf: (sorry, could not resist that . . .)

As to bears, I am glad Macdoum posted info about the North American studies. I have some links to websites doing studies on bears. You will learn a lot about bears, particularly about Lily & Hope & the new cub, Faith. Bears are bears, the same behavior everywhere. Lily is the mother bear whose den had a cam in it last year so that hundreds of thousands of people watched her give birth to Hope, & the same again this year with Faith. The BBC keeps going to the bear center to make TV films about these bears & the researchers who work with them (Bearwalker of the North Woods, also The Bear Family & Me-- with Gordon Buchanan).

Links:
http://www.bear.org/website/
At this website, you can find a live webcam that often has 1 to 3 bears on it. They reside in a specially-designed rehabilitation compound; they had been raised in captivity but rescued. Though they cannot be returned to an entirely wild existence, they are provided with as close as possible to the real thing.

http://www.bearstudy.org/website/
At the above website, click on the "Research" tab & then the "Daily Updates" link to read the ongoing story about Lily & her cubs. Brit has been posting these daily updates in the "Other Birds & Animals, The Black Bear Cam - Lily and Hope" forum here on Looduskalender.
Here in Looduskalander; viewtopic.php?f=11&t=267
:hi: Kitty.
Emily Dickinson
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Thanks, Macdoum-- I forgot to put the link. :blush: :rolleyes:
Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

2:54-- Bear came left to right just beyond the clearing & under tree line. Paused only momentarily, could not get pic. Bear exited at right of cam view.

Edit, 3:32-- I am logging off for a while because there are severe thunderstorms & tornadoes nearing my location. We have very hot & humid weather today (79 F or 26.1 C) & it is getting stormy outside. There was just now a warning for storms with hail & winds in excess of 60 miles per hour just a few miles northwest of me.
Kitty KCMO
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Kitty that sounds too exciting.

This forest is very lovely in the early morning light.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

I just remembered to check e-mail. Webmaster was "out of office" yesterday but knows that there was site maintenance yesterday.
Perhaps the maintenance crew wanted privacy!!
mannike

Post by mannike »

Bleggi wrote::loveshower: I saw the bear also at 22:52

he left to the left side some steps then he stocked and it seems he laid down for a short while and then left at all. But it is to see not so good - for this the pic must be bigger. So I don't put it here.
This must be Oskar. 2 year old cub. We saw this bear while driving around Alutaguse at about 18 o´clock in the 14 th of May. Bear had bit white hairs right and left shoulders area.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Again the cloth or whatever appeared!

Fleur

Post by Fleur »

maintenance again? :laugh:
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

the sound like a bit on pine cones collected in a zinc bucket :rotf:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Fleur wrote:maintenance again? :laugh:
The lights in the night definitely would need some maintenance - it was really darker than the night before

Return to “Alutaguse Bear Webcam”