Bear Webcam 2011

Brown Bear Webcam in Alutaguse Forest
Lussi05

Re: Bear Webcam

Post by Lussi05 »

I thought I never would see a bear "live" because I could not stay up all night. But I had the cam open just in case. And suddenly THERE IT WAS!! I nearly fell out of my chair :faint: :headroll: :bow:
Are the bears mostly out after dark, or do we have a chance to see it in daylight ( maybe a silly question :blush: )
cougar

Post by cougar »

No, it's not a silly question. Bears do walk out at daylight alright, especially late summer, when there are raspberries and blueberries available, oates, rhye and honey. They're not actually so night animals as people think. And all bear attacks that have been there lately, happened during the daytime.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

I also thought so, I was joking in the afternoon I'll have to tell my boss I have to sleep because I watched the cam all night. I'm just sitting and answering some mails and from time to time click to the cam(s) ... good that I found all the buttons alright! :bounce:
Don't know about day, but I guess they rather rest than roam around. the only bear that came to Germany after 100 years was killed almost immediately, but I think I remember that the sightings were mainly during night and dawn.
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

:cry: I missed the Bear

Thanks for pictures and movie felis :thumbs:
cougar

Post by cougar »

Now it's lurkin' again, behind the big tree on the right
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Thanks cougar - you see, we have no experience with such animals anymore. In Germany (Bavaria) the last bear was killed 100 years ago and the first one to come back (Bruno) was also killed, because he was a "problem". :cry:
Does it happen very often, that bears become a "problem" in Estonia? What is done about that? I know that in Rumania they are a problem because they are raiding the trash, even near and in cities.
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Keep on looking, Fleur, maybe he/she will come out again! :wave:

Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

cougar wrote:No, it's not a silly question. Bears do walk out at daylight alright, especially late summer, when there are raspberries and blueberries available, oates, rhye and honey. They're not actually so night animals as people think. And all bear attacks that have been there lately, happened during the daytime.
Thank you Cougar :wave: Maybe, when the berries comes, we can see the bears in daylight. But it is a great pleasure to see them in the dark also.
cougar

Post by cougar »

They attack people as well. The last case was about a month ago, when mother with cubs attacked man almost a km from his farm an bit his leg. And there are several similar cases during the last year.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

That's the sad thing about wildlife, it's somehow not fitting into modern man's life ... :shock:

Fleur

Post by Fleur »

I made ​​the picture a bit lighter I see no bear
I have patience :laugh:

Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Felis silvestris wrote:Thanks cougar - you see, we have no experience with such animals anymore. In Germany (Bavaria) the last bear was killed 100 years ago and the first one to come back (Bruno) was also killed, because he was a "problem". :cry:
Does it happen very often, that bears become a "problem" in Estonia? What is done about that? I know that in Rumania they are a problem because they are raiding the trash, even near and in cities.
It happens in Norway also. Especially when they are attacking sheeps who is out in the woods in the summertime.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Cougar:
that is the other side of the story.
If berries grow, I hope to see them once during the day
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

wow, those claws in the second movie :shock:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Had a good laugh about the google translation of the first article ... :dunno: But I got the meaning.

macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Well anyone who has been following the stories about the Black Bears in Minnisota will have learnt the attacks on people are very rare...on animals too are rare.
They are essentially vegetarians.
You can read this study on the Black Bear in America;
http://www.bearsmart.com/docs/black-bea ... -et-al.pdf
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
cougar

Post by cougar »

Yes, well, those here didn't attack humans for food, lol. And I haven't heard about attacking sheeps or cattle by bears here. Wolves do that and that's why farmers are angry to them.
Those bears were mostly disturbed or surprised mothers with cub. The moose cow with child and female boar with piglets can also attack and it had happen too.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

That's what I meant - there is no longer the space for them to live well apart from human beings. They are disturbed and naturally sheep and other domestic animals (Bruno liked honey and I think he also emptied a few rabbit cots) are easy prey.

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

By the way - wolf - only today I read about the wolf visiting the Bavarian alps. It has disappeared and was not seen since January. Most people think he "was done away" secretly.

Return to “Alutaguse Bear Webcam”