NEST OBSERVATIONS ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

Mulmert

Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by Mulmert »

Hello everybody!
I am one more "lurker" with has decided to come out of the closet and register :D
Living in Sweden and not founded of birds earlier, but since I found this Eagle-Family,
I find myself more or less addicted :innocent:
Thanks for the good work many of you do here, with reports and pictures!
(I am not so talented with video/picture capture so I am not shure if I can contribute so much,
at least not for the moment...
maertha

Post by maertha »

b.h-p wrote:Strange that Madis just left without trying to feed - and where is Piret since she do not come in nest.
Chick obviously do not know how to handle a fish on their own yet

19.20 Madis left chicks on their own with fish
Hi b.h-p :hi: I think jopie has mentioned something similar - probably the parent birds encourage the chicks to eat like adult birds now? More or less... :-)
Tormi, the little Lesser Spotted Eagle from last year managed this task when he/she was four weeks old. I´m curiours when we will see our trio do this the first time. Yesterday Elo ate a small bite without help, and Uno hid the fish today in a quite professional way in my opinion :D .

Thank you everybody for sharing your observations and pictures, and have a good evening! :wave:
macko50

Post by macko50 »

21:29 Madis brought a carp.

"One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals." - Mahatma Gandhi
George
http://madarlesok.lapunk.hu/
maertha

Post by maertha »

Hello mulmert, welcome to the forum. No need to contribute something, but if you want to, please add the local Estonian time (we call it "cam time"– visible in the top right corner of the camera picture). This makes every oservation more valuable. No matter if you post observations or not: nice to have you here! :D
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

maertha wrote: Hi b.h-p :hi: I think jopie has mentioned something similar - probably the parent birds encourage the chicks to eat like adult birds now? More or less... :-)
Tormi, the little Lesser Spotted Eagle from last year managed this task when he/she was four weeks old. I´m curiours when we will see our trio do this the first time. Yesterday Elo ate a small bite without help, and Uno hid the fish today in a quite professional way in my opinion :D .

Thank you everybody for sharing your observations and pictures, and have a good evening! :wave:
yes, there can be something about it. I just wundered because until now chicks have not been special eager to try something on their own concerning eating. And they are not able to stand on their legs for very long yet either. To tear bites of a prey demands they are able to balance on a prey and use their weight as counterbalance.
But well I know althing suddenly happens very fast. White-tailed Eagles chicks begin in the age of about 6-7 weeks to eat on their own if I remember right. Perhaps therefor I think this is a bit early although everything of what I have seen until now here at the Ospreys generally happens faster.
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

jopie wrote:Good morning!

@Maertha, that is very interesting: I copied both pictures and try to compare then with my pictures. There is the tail also with rather "pointed" tail ends and the other picture where both birds in the nest, we have good vision of their breasts and surrounding of the eyes. Exciting!
:hi: jopie

if you want to study tails Maertha posted excellent photos of both Piret and Madis´s tails in the weekend one week ago - taken in nearly the same lightening.

Madis´s tail was then very nice - no signs of moulting and he had all tailfeathers as far as I could count as far as I remember.

Piret is moulting tailfeathers for the time being, miss perhaps one and a new fullgrown feather is to see and two other new on their way out if I remember right.

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

at the feeding from the 21.29 fish: Uno wasn´t interested in food, so Nori and Elo got their share. As mentioned earlier the fish wasn´t that big so not much for Piret 21.39 the feeding was over
21.42 after having searched the nest through and picked up all wasted Piret went upstairs, was calling more times
22.12 Piret in nest again
22.13 Piret flew - this time towards forest in background
22.53 sounds of landing upstairs, no reaction from chicks

thanks to all for updates during the day :2thumbsup:

and welcome to new members

alice44

Post by alice44 »

About eating -- the big fish that ospreys and WTEs eat seem to require more education to be able to manage. The other day Remo brought Stephi a smallish pretty much whole fish. It took, just over one month old, Stephi a while, but working from just below the head or from under the chin he managed to eat most of the fish on his own.

This is a link to one post with videos of Stephi tackling the fish

viewtopic.php?p=152331#p152331

I find it quite interesting how different birds develop their eating skills.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

alice44 wrote:About eating -- the big fish that ospreys and WTEs eat seem to require more education to be able to manage. The other day Remo brought Stephi a smallish pretty much whole fish. It took, just over one month old, Stephi a while, but working from just below the head or from under the chin he managed to eat most of the fish on his own.

:hi: Alice.
Alice is comparing one of the LSE's nestslings.
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
maertha

Post by maertha »

alice44 wrote:About eating -- the big fish that ospreys and WTEs eat seem to require more education to be able to manage. The other day Remo brought Stephi a smallish pretty much whole fish. It took, just over one month old, Stephi a while, but working from just below the head or from under the chin he managed to eat most of the fish on his own.

Thank you for the link, alice. I find it very interesting too. Tormi, the Lesser Spotted Eagle chick from last year, managed the same task when he/she was four weeks old.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WroPNpS0 ... plpp_video

The day-by-day playlist for this eaglet can be found here http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... ature=plcp

A brief summary from hatching to the first attempt to fly is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76Rgpd6i ... ature=plcp

All the best for little Stephi!
maertha

Post by maertha »

Just some pictures from this afternoon

:offtobed:
Susie

Post by Susie »

Ha ha ha, maertha, the series is great! :loveshower:

Did somebody watching Piret biting the whole head of the fish and eating it in one piece? I couldn't believe my eyes.

Today it seems to be as windy as yesterday, hopefully not so rainy.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged
by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Gandhi
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

July 16
Priscillash18

Post by Priscillash18 »

Elo or Uno doing wings flaps falls forward lol to cute :rotf:
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

I think that was Elo - wings flaps and a poop shot

(Elo is my favorite :loveshower: )
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

5:11

5:12
lispet

Post by lispet »

Susie wrote:
Did somebody watching Piret biting the whole head of the fish and eating it in one piece? I couldn't believe my eyes.
I watched this eating closely as the camera angle was just right! They really can swallow big bites, like the tail as well!
jopie

Post by jopie »

Good morning!

Madis brought a very small piece of fish, Piret feeds it mainly to Elo and Nori.
A few bites each.
Piret finds a forgotten piece of intestine and eats it.

Piret back to the cam
jopie

Post by jopie »

Poor Piret, fighting a branch :rotf:
She has her left leg leg at the wrong place, and can not remove it.
All she had to do was lifting her left leg, but when you are a bird.....

At last, she found a way

jopie

Post by jopie »

Have a nice day all, 'till later :wave:

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”