NEST OBSERVATIONS ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

Urmas

Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by Urmas »

We have only information that Madis is ringed with Finnish ring, but we did not receive official information about ringing. If it arrives, we let you know somehow.

Think location towards feeding places is really nearly ideal, but as you hear noise of traffic shows quite risk of disturbance, though probably the Ospreys here have not been disturbed by human, yet. In that case they make special voice, what I know well from each ringing trip during the years.
ame

Post by ame »

asteria wrote: That is interesting because other birds(WTE or BS) bring the whole fish and only ospreys bring them headless.
i've seen WTEs bringing headless fish to the nest more often than fish with head still attached. i guess it's only practical to eat the head at once: the fish will kick much less during the rest of the flight to the nest. :D
jopie

Post by jopie »

Last fish of the day, I think, and it was without its head :laugh: Good night all :wave:

Edit: I think she must have lost it. So soon finished eating is not possible, is it?
Millie

Post by Millie »

Many thanks again for stunning photos and interesting forum. I have been watching Osprey for 4yrs now and have found that most times the male brings the fish to the nest headless as he eats the head first. Whole live fish brought to the nest when there are chicks can cause serious injury to the little ones. I have seen a couple of incidents when a live fish was flapping around in the nest, but fortunatly the female managed to grab it in time. Pike are particularly aggressive and can cause a lot of damage, trout on the other hand are not. So it does depend on the fish and the Osprey is a wise bird and knows his fish.
Very pleased that Madis has not to travel too far to fish.
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

:wave:

big thanks to all for updating what is going on :thumbs:

also many thanks to Urmas for infomation on Osprey habits etc. :thumbs:

concerning fish with or without heads I did yesterday evening at 20.04 see Madis bring fish with head as far as I could see (sorry I have been busy, so no time for uploading pic before now)

also just as ame also says, WTEs usually brings headless fish to nest - seen at Linda and Sulevs nest and also in the field
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

from this evening:

19.40 noise from upstairs, Piret in nest pieping and looking up
19.54 Madis came to nest from upstairs and Piret flew out
20.22 Piret returned to nest with twig and Madis left

21.36 Madis with a headless fish for Piret

21.38 Piret already back in nest – has she lost her fish while flying away or did she swallow it very, very quick? – Madis flew out.

22.02 Madis back in nest for a minuts time, Piret talked as if she was begging him to go out hunting another fish for her

:offtobed:
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Saturday, May 26

3:19 First Light - was this a changing of parents?

3:22 this looks like Piret, but at some point she flew off the nest

4:20
Piret returns to the nest

4:22
Piret walks around the edge and Madis flies off

Up again
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

and off - the eggs at 4:53

4:54

Madis returns
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

5:22
Piret returns with a branch

She puts it on madis - even when he gets up, it is there

5:23 Madis leaves
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

5:54 Madis returns

5:55 Piret leaves

maertha

Post by maertha »

Good morning.

8:23 One bird in the nest, looking around attentively
8:25 It gets up, stretches its wings, leaves the nest – it´s the female, as far as I can see
8:28 Female returns to the nest, sits down
8:29 Gets up, rolls the eggs, sits down again
8:32 Puts a piece of bark within her reach aside
8:33 I closed the cam

Piret, landing approach

jopie

Post by jopie »

:hi: b-h-p That was my question too: can they swallow fish? Maybe Millie knows? I saw the moment too and have a picture, but I think that fish was too big to swallow. I thought she must have dropped it and later on urged Madis to catch her another one.
jopie

Post by jopie »

About 20 minutes ago: Madis brought large fish, Piret flew away with it.

Millie

Post by Millie »

Thank you all for more wonderful pics. These are such stunning and remarkable birds and I could spend all day watching.(If I had time) that is why its so good to be able to catch up, so thank you all again.
Osprey always tear chunks off the fish starting with the head, and that is how they kill it. Not nice to watch and I do feel sorry for the fish. But that is nature and has to be accepted. Nothing is wasted and the bird always swallows the tail last.
I have heard it said that Osprey will hide fish if they are not hungrey, and collect it later. Dont know how true this is but I have seen females hide fish under their wings when there are chicks to feed. This can be very funny sometimes as the male will hunt around the female to try and snatch it back.
You can learn something new every day, and that is why they are so interesting to watch. There is a condition called Ospryitis or Ospryholic for which there is no cure
and I caught it some years ago. LOL
jopie

Post by jopie »

Change, Piret went, Madis arrived.
jopie

Post by jopie »

Piret back, but Madis is still enjoying himself and does not want to go yet.

Edit: some talking and shifting with branches and then Madis gets the message and leaves.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

19:49 Piret is sitting with wings spread out... ? too hot or is she protecting the nest from some intruder ?
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
jopie

Post by jopie »

Pirets calling, louder en longer was succesfull: Madis brought a very large, headless fish. When Piret saw it she almost yelled :)
Such very loud sounds.

Piret gone with the fish, Madis on the eggs
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

I am listening to beautiful birdsong on this cam already for quite a while, but I don't know what bird is singing.
Taped a bit of it, the video is actually black, as it's dark at the nest. Maybe somebody knows what bird it is (and maybe confirms my guess)

:wave: Good night!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

NEW TOPIC for ESTLAT OSPREY NEST 2

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=462

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”