NEST OBSERVATIONS ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

jopie

Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by jopie »

francesca wrote:have you seen the big on biting a piece of wood? he could eat almost everything! :rotf:
Yes I saw it francesca, picking it up and throwing it away again, as if bored by the feeding :laugh:
maertha

Post by maertha »

Thank you for all the reports and pictures! :thumbs: And hello to Francesca, gala, Siriox and Reenie, welcome! :gathering:

I was glad to read that our mini chick got some food meanwhile. There was not much time for observations, but here are a few moments from yesterday. In video one the chicks are alone in the nest with the remains of a large fish – No 3 seems to be interested (or eats a bite?). Piret is visible in the background (very small…). The second video starts a moment after Piret returnes to the nest; she finds the fish

June 23rd, +/- 11:30
Three chicks and a fish in the nest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WICEJXpmUOk
A moment later (11:28) Piret returns and finds the fish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5Z1kWAv ... re=related
maertha

Post by maertha »

b.h-p wrote:
I didn´t see chick 3 get any food. He/she seemed not interested at all, was just sleeping.

But I read from previous posts from this morning that chick 3 got food earlier today, so perhaps he/she didn´t have a need but just is satisfied and sleepy, using the energy for growing
I made a video of this feeding, and b.h-p is right, No 3 got no food this time. Hope also that he/she uses the engery for growing. Would be nice to see them all grow up!

12:35 Chicks are alone
12:47 Piret is there. She finds a fish at the right side of the nest. Feeding. Mini got nothing, he/she lays behind the siblings, head on the bottom of the nest bowl
12:55 and 12:57 The mini chick lifts its head for an instant. The crop of the big brother/sister is full; feeding ends
12:58 Piret settles on the chicks

12:47-12:57 Food for the strongest eaglets
[youtube]zsEM1H8u6d8&feature[/youtube]

:wave:
jopie

Post by jopie »

And when Piret is vèry happy, she makes soft, high peeping noises and very happy she is with this giant of a fish Madis brought!

gala

Post by gala »

Big fish!. Feeding time. I can't see because Piret is blocking the camera view. :slap:
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

17.48 Madis left
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
REENIE

Post by REENIE »

maertha

Post by maertha »

Ah, Reenie, you has already posted pictures. Thanks! :2thumbsup:

Here some notes and the time:
18:11 Piret stands with her back to the camera, a large fish (with head) is in the nest
18:14 Piret leaves. Noises from upstairs…
… Madis lands and starts to eat the fish immediately. Some seconds later Piret comes back
18:16 Madis leaves the nest and takes the fish with him
jopie

Post by jopie »

Madis back with the fish he took a while ago. He wants to feed the chicks I think.
jopie

Post by jopie »

Sometimes it is hard to be a male Osprey: you just want to feed your chicks very bad,

but are ignored and rejected :cry: :laugh:

REENIE

Post by REENIE »

Here's a video with both adults, male eating. At one point when the female wasn't looking, he looked like he wanted to feed one of the little ones that was under her. They are so beautiful, so glad I found this nest since our Peregrine Falcon juvies are gone now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHXn_iGJJJA
gala

Post by gala »

The little one is getting food. Yeah! :loveshower:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Someone may be taking video! :loveshower:

Some shots:

SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
francesca

Post by francesca »

It seems to me that he is a bit stronger and stands easely! :2thumbsup:
maertha

Post by maertha »

jopie wrote:18.55

Sometimes it is hard to be a male Osprey: you just want to feed your chicks very bad,

but are ignored and rejected :cry: :laugh:
As yet I didn´t saw him manage a “real” feeding, whether Pirit was there or not. Whenever I watched them he offered the chicks at the most some morsels – so I´m not sure if he is that eager to feed them. He has many opportunities to try it or simply to do it, but it appears to me that he prefers to enjoy a meal in the nest or to “steal” the fish which he has brought before. Of course others may have noticed more successful feedings. :shake:
jopie

Post by jopie »

That was a wonderful feeding: nr 1 was not very hungry so stayed in the back for a while, nr 2 was first, but meanwhile Little one did get bites also and later it got all it want. It is good to see the litlle crop swell from flat to a good round pouch. Nr 1 was not hungry at all, only had a few bites.

NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Nice pictures of #3 getting fed! :loveshower:

#3 is 4 days younger than #1 so of course he is smaller - we should compare how they look at the same age.

Piret seems to be a very good Mother, but we cannot predict what will happen ~ I like to just watch and learn.
Olga

Post by Olga »

francesca wrote:It seems to me that he is a bit stronger and stands easely! :2thumbsup:
Yes, he/she does and the feathers on the back are changing dark also.

jopie

Post by jopie »

maertha wrote: As yet I didn´t saw him manage a “real” feeding, whether Pirit was there or not. Whenever I watched them he offered the chicks at the most some morsels – so I´m not sure if he is that eager to feed them. He has many opportunities to try it or simply to do it, but it appears to me that he prefers to enjoy a meal in the nest or to “steal” the fish which he has brought before. Of course others may have noticed more successful feedings. :shake:

Maertha, I have posted pictures of Madis really giving the chicks a whole feeding. Don't know the exact date right now. Piret stepped in at last to feed the youngest but the older 2 were fed by Madis.
Olga

Post by Olga »

at 20:02 - 20:03

The small one prefers to be standing under the chest and wings of Piret. And her feathers are growing and changing dark right in front of our eyes!

At 20:34 he/she is in a warm place under the wing of a sibling and mother

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”