NEST OBSERVATIONS ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

maertha

Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by maertha »

granny48 wrote:Good afternoon, I have been watching the nest and following the discussion for weeks now. This is a dream come true: to watch eagles closely for as long as I wish. Thank you moderator and administrator for the interesting comments and wonderful pictures, , thank you technicians for the high quality, and thank you all for sharing your knowledge and fotos. It moves me very much to witness so much respect and love from all over the world for these eagles. It truly makes the world a better place....
Hello granny, thank you for your kind words! I feel very much the same about watching eagles this way; it´s a unique opportunity to learn something about their life.
Nice to meet you, welcome to the forum! :wave:
maertha

Post by maertha »

Kurre Smakk wrote:Good evening everybody. Just became a member.
I have been watching the livecams of the Lesser spotted eagle and this Osprey as well for a couple of months by now.
It is really exiting. I live in Sweden whre we have quite a lot of Ospreys in the surroundings, so it's really interesting to be able to watch them so close.
I have bee spending a lot of hours with the Mac staring at the screen. :laugh:

I wonder if anyone has been wiping off the poop on the camera, or has the the rain and wind done the work?
Hello Kurre, welcome! I´m pretty sure the rain cleaned the camera.
Kurre Smakk

Post by Kurre Smakk »

I thought so, about the camera. It was a little disturbing with the blurred area.

Thank you, my friends, I feel welcome! :loveshower:
lasgo

Post by lasgo »

is that smallest chick now under the mom..? cant see her/him :puzzled:
Manu

Post by Manu »

Hello granny48 and Kurre Smakk all other new members :wave: , a friendly welcome on this forum..
macko50

Post by macko50 »

Piret went to the smallest chick, and covered it.

"One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals." - Mahatma Gandhi
George
http://madarlesok.lapunk.hu/
lasgo

Post by lasgo »

okei thanks,thats good to know :wave:
andi7

Post by andi7 »

Hello from Germany. I'm watching this webcam for five weeks now. No dinner for the chicks today? I haven't seen Madis after the storm, but there was a feeding at 19:55. Who brought that fish?
ASA

Post by ASA »

Hello all birdloving friends! :wave: I have just become a member and I find this opportunity to see into a birds nest in real time just amazing! I have seen an Ospray baby hatch! I had tears in my eyes... :rolleyes:
maertha

Post by maertha »

andi7 wrote:Hello from Germany. I'm watching this webcam for five weeks now. No dinner for the chicks today? I haven't seen Madis after the storm, but there was a feeding at 19:55. Who brought that fish?
Welcome to the forum, andi. Very good idea to add the camera time to your observation, thanks. :2thumbsup: I checked the Pontu achive and found this picture.
This is Piret, the female (no rings). http://pontu.eenet.ee/kalakotkas/2012-0 ... -19-56.jpg

A delivery was not visible, but that happens often within some seconds, so Pontu (one picture per minute) can´t catch every visit of the male bird. Maybe the fish was not fresh but some remainders? I havn´t seen Madis either, but I think I heard him "upstairs" (= the place on or above the camera) while Piret sat at the edge of the nest.
maertha

Post by maertha »

Hello ASA, welcome!
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

:gathering: Welcome Kurre,andi and ASA to the forum, also anyone I may have missed.its good to see you here. :D

Yes,the hatching was a lovely experience. But everyday now brings more events.

(now the Latvian nest will soon be empty as the three there learn to fly..)
The ringing/banding should soon take place, maybe this week for the three chicks in the Estonian nest.
:wave:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Kurre Smakk

Post by Kurre Smakk »

I saw the ringing of the Lesser spotted eagle chick by chance. (Me and my friends call him/her Earnie).
Suddenly I noticed a pair of rubber boots in the right corner of the picture. I almost fell off my chair.
And by then I had the great opportunity to follow the procedure.
That made my day. :headroll: I was happy the rest of the day.
And now I hope to be able to see the ringing of the Osprey chicks as well, if there will be any.
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

Welcome to new members :wave:

21.48 when rain starts again Piret went to nest from upstairs - mostly she gives shelter to Nori, although the oldest also seek as much shelter under her as possible.......

23.10 - 23.21 rain stopped and by sounds to judge I think Piret left nest to strecht her wings, and landed upstairs half a minut later. A chick chirps few times. Then raindrops to hear again and Piret jumped to nest. Can hear one of the chicks again.

and everyone, when reporting anything about what is going on in nest here in forum please do also note the cameratime (the timestamp in the upper right corner of the stream) which is "common time" for all of us and when get used to it, it´s easy to use too.
It will be a great help if a need occur for looking special events up in the Punto Archive.

:offtobed:
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
maertha

Post by maertha »

20:08 After the storm. One parent bird is upstairs on the camera. Not possible to say which one, but wing tips are visible. Piret arrives at the nest. Then she “talks” to somebody. So probably Madis was there all the time or since a while.

maertha

Post by maertha »

Kurre Smakk wrote:I saw the ringing of the Lesser spotted eagle chick by chance. (Me and my friends call him/her Earnie).
Suddenly I noticed a pair of rubber boots in the right corner of the picture. I almost fell off my chair.
And by then I had the great opportunity to follow the procedure.
That made my day. :headroll: I was happy the rest of the day.
And now I hope to be able to see the ringing of the Osprey chicks as well, if there will be any.
Lucky you! It´s interesting, isn´t it? There´s also a video from last year, if you want to have a look.
mms://video.eenet.ee/2011/konnakotkas-2011-07-25.asf
Liis made a translation, you can find it here at this page:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=287&p=112292&hilit ... eo#p112292

For a short version cklick here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcGti3VByOk
andi7

Post by andi7 »

00:40 It's raining again. Sometimes a noise by the chicks.

Maybe it's too difficult to get a fish during the storm.

Will Piret replace the missing branches? The construction was not wind-resistant. I believe the branches Piret installed during the last days were not connected to the nest very well and she built some parts to high in the wind. Last week a great L-shaped branch fell off the nest after she tested some positions for it. Is it necessary to build the nest higher? In the Latvian osprey nest the parents bring branches although the chicks are to fly away soon and the nest is deeper than the nest of Piret and Madis.
Kurre Smakk

Post by Kurre Smakk »

What are these strange sounds from the Osprey cam in the middle of the night?
Never heard before. Perhaps they are just snoring, strange sound anyway.
Estonian time around 02.10 AM.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4317725/Firefo ... 200101.m4a
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

July 13

3:35 -4:58 from First Light, there has not been much action
4:58 a loud call, a landing, I can hear someone scratching (Piret?)
5:00 a little murmur from one of the chicks

4:08 (from Pontu)
2012-07-13-04-08 by aurospio, on Flickr

5:00
2012-07-13-05-00 by aurospio, on Flickr
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

5:21 Fish delivery. Piret feeds, but takes off suddenly at 5:24

:D

5: 30 Piret lands on the nest and seems to "pretend feed" two of the chicks (I am not convinced she had any food there to feed them).

ImageImage

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”