DISCUSSION ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

Fee

Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by Fee »

Hello!

Little Switzerland also has a very big fan :hi:

My english ist not very good, but I read and watch for about 6 weeks the ospreys.

Every day it's the first thing I do: watching. It's so great!

What I do I just, when they leave the nest all? :unsure:
Lizitas

Post by Lizitas »

Fee wrote:What I do I just, when they leave the nest all? :unsure:
Hi Fee! :hi: Well, I'm wondering that, too... :unsure: But hopefully it will still take some time until all will have left the nest... :bow:
Fee

Post by Fee »

Hallo Lizitas

Oh yeah, I hope so too.

My boss would reply: working!!!! :blush: :laugh:
Jasmijn

Post by Jasmijn »

NancyM wrote: I believe that the more we can learn about a species - where it goes, what it eats, who its enemies are, how it raises its young, the more we can do to help and protect them. If we do not know where they go, how can we try to influence the people who might harm them?
although - it is the males who take most of the fish to feed their chicks, and that is why Urmas hoped to trap and transmitter Madis - he also transmittered one or two other males. Of course, Piret might fish from the farms as well, but mostly the males take the fish to feed the chicks, from what we have seen.
But isn't that 'old news' Nancy?
Will they take lesser fish now, because of the transmitter?
I mean; the owner of the fishfarm allready knows they 'steel' fish, how will the transmitter change that?
We also Know that humans are the biggest enemy of ALL animals, how will you change the human behaviore against that?
It needs a change of mentality from human in general, I don't believe a transmitter will help do that.
I know I am hardheaded (am I?), but I will understand the reasons off things and in this I really don't see a solution/improvement for the birds.
Angela

Post by Angela »

Hello at all of you,

it's so great how many countries are looking these little birds... :hi: My scool-english is not so good to write with you... but I'm reading... :nod:

I'm looking to the webcam since a few weeks, now I'm in holiday and hope to see Nori also flying... :mrgreen:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

meierlein wrote: :peek:

PIRET came to the nest
a big fish was delivered by MADIS
PIRET took the fish and flew off

NORI is not happy about :rant:

I think, she is beeing pushed to do her first flight ^^

:wave:
I wonder if there is any information on the speed the last chick fledges. It seems like they might get pushed a bit.
Joem13

Post by Joem13 »

Hello from Majorca, I am also new to the group, but wathing the nest for more than 2 months now, I guesses the only female was Elo, but i am not sure now.
Not sure also about what part of the darkness in their chest is dirty from the nest, Nori is almost all the time laying on the wet nest now, so he got more dark.
Always watching the skies...
Lunan

Post by Lunan »

Fee wrote:she looks like a duck...

Lizitas, it's very difficult to adjust the picture? I don't know how to do that... :help:
If you mean adjust the size of the picture, you have that choice when you upload the pic to Tinypic. There you shall choose the size 800 x 600 pixels. Then it adjusts automatically.

(Perhaps you already got an answer, sorry, I haven't read all posts for today yet. Catching up :))
If you would like to support the Eagle Club, the bank account details are:

KOTKAKLUBI (address if needed: Hauka kula, Valgjarve vald, 63406 Polvamaa)
IBAN: EE182200221040359778
BIC: HABAEE2X
Swedbank AS, 8 Liivalaia Street,15040 Tallinn, Estonia

If you like to donate some for specific action, please mention it when you make your donation.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

:hi: welcome
Angela and Joem13

About the chest bands -- observers have found that juvenile bands vary -- S7, S8 and S9's bands may look quite different in a few years when they are adults.
Joem13

Post by Joem13 »

alice44 wrote::
About the chest bands -- observers have found that juvenile bands vary -- S7, S8 and S9's bands may look quite different in a few years when they are adults.
Yes, that is what I mean, adult females have a big chest band, but it could vary alot from juveniles to adults, so now they are not a sign of the sex of the chicks
amber

Post by amber »

I am also new here. I enjoy a lot of watching these beautiful birds en to read this forum. I started to look, when the babies were a few days old. My heart broke when I saw little Nori fight for his/her meals, she was to little. But now she is growing so well and is a beautiful bird. I don't wory any more. :loveshower:
Thank all for your comments, pictures and films. It is the first thing I do, when I get up. [addicted? yessss :nod: ]
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

:peek:

ELO
"hej NORI - you should take your first flight now!"

NORI
"I am still afraid for that" :blush:

:rolleyes:
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

Millie wrote:Carma, I also think that Nori seems tired today. Pire's behaviour concerns me, I have been watching Osprey for five years and never have I seen the the female take food from her chicks.
Normally at this stage she would have started fishing for herself and also bringing fish to the nest. Madis has been magnificent and it was wonderful to see him feed Nori yesterday, What a champion he is, and deserves a gold medal. He is now having to fish for five, which is a lot to expect, hope he continues to manage, as it will be some time before any of the chicks can fish for themselves.
Nori's behaviour changed from the moment she was trapped and tagged.
Does anyone have a link to the dicussion on the transmitters ? as would be interested to see what others think on this subject.

Millie
you dont need a special link for that
but I am tired to explain how to handle this loodus-site :rolleyes:

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=489

:wave:
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

Millie wrote:Carma, I also think that Nori seems tired today. Pire's behaviour concerns me, I have been watching Osprey for five years and never have I seen the the female take food from her chicks.
Normally at this stage she would have started fishing for herself and also bringing fish to the nest. Madis has been magnificent and it was wonderful to see him feed Nori yesterday, What a champion he is, and deserves a gold medal. He is now having to fish for five, which is a lot to expect, hope he continues to manage, as it will be some time before any of the chicks can fish for themselves.
Does anyone have a link to the dicussion on the transmitters ? as would be interested to see what others think on this subject.
Here's the link to the topic you asked for: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=489
Jasmijn

Post by Jasmijn »

Here is the 'special-discussion' page Millie ( I do agree with you that there is some change since the 'backpack' is placed)

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=489
Joem13

Post by Joem13 »

Millie wrote: Nori's behaviour changed from the moment she was trapped and tagged.
Completelly agree with you, since that day Piret abandoned the nest, she stopped feeding the chicks and she has a very very strange behaviour, i am worried about that for the last 5 days, but even more when she started to get the fish from Madis when she should be fishing on herself.

It is strange and i hope it is normal for ospreys and the problem is than we are not familiar with ospreys behaviour, so they trapped her when they know she would abandon the nest when the first chick flies.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

And I will post link to all the Osprey discussions

viewforum.php?f=56

At that link you will find threads where you can look at pictures from the other Osprey cams as well as the the transmitter discussion.
But I think Piret has taken fish or partial fish from the nest several times.
Kapa

Post by Kapa »

Meierlein,
yes, he is resting on 1 leg!

Joem13,
I really see Nori developing from chick to eagle. Can not confirm standing on the legs all too often. Rather I see Nori standing on the pawns and the feathering get darker. He is definitely on his way.
But I agree in the reasons for Nori not being that active.

Millie,
thanks for sharing your concerns. I am a newbie to this and I thought and the refraining from feeding and so on would be normal.
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

:peek:

NORI
"its really boring
to sit alone in that rain"
:sleep:

:unsure:
Millie

Post by Millie »

Thank you to all who gave me the link, Millie

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”