DISCUSSION ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

Joem13

Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by Joem13 »

Baltar wrote:
According to this speed Piret could be in one week in Sudan... is this realistic? Do the Estonian Ospreys usually make a rest, e.g. at danube delta?
btw:
Do the parent birds recognize their children in the next year? I guess all 5 will come back to same region of Estonia, but they look and sound so similar...
It is completelly unpredictable Baltar, it depends on many factors as winds, temperature, storms (very important), other bird groups, etc.
Eagles can go several days flying 500 or more kms every day right to the south, and then suddenly stop and stay several days settled at the same point. If you check the maps page, you will see how a lesser spotted eagle from Norway called Tonn, went quickly to south, then returnet up to north to norway mountains, he was settled there 12 days almost at the same place and now he is advancing quickly to the south. They go on their own.

Your second question is no, they dont recognize their sons, and even they will atack them if they go into the breeding territory in the next years, making them to abandon the area if they feel atracted to the place of the nest where they born.
Always watching the skies...
jacinta

Post by jacinta »

Wisteria wrote:Here are some photos from the Class Of 2012:

Always in our hearts, if not always in the nest. :chick: :chick: :chick:

The fog made a beautiful backdrop this morning, but Elo would NOT pose right, so I didn't get the tag/ numbers in view. Welp... :unsure:

fantastic portraits ...our fantastic kalakotkas they are so beautiful!!!!
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

jacinta wrote:
fantastic portraits ...our fantastic kalakotkas they are so beautiful!!!!

Elo just posed again for his class picture, so here is the modified one that shows his name/number tag. (changed it in my original post too) I think it's funny that his crop looks so stuffed and he has a fish in his talons. :D

Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Hi Wisteria! :wave:

That's a fabulous photo. :nod:
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Great photos, everyone! :bow: :thumbs:
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Chimega wrote:Hi Wisteria! :wave:

That's a fabulous photo. :nod:
Thanks Chimega and Jacinta! :blush:

I printed them out on card stock and now they're on my bulletin board. I love these beauteous birds. :hi:

I think that maybe the camera is reflective...sometimes they seem to be looking at us, I wonder if it's really their reflections that they see.
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

I like those photos, too , Wisteria ... but ... "class clown" ? awww, poor misunderstood middle child

5:38
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

NancyM wrote:I like those photos, too , Wisteria ... but ... "class clown" ? awww, poor misunderstood middle child

I know, I'm glad Elo can't read, but I meant it in a good way, she's so...avid. And I'm a middle child myself, so I can identify with her. At least the photo I used is dignified. I was tempted to use this one:

Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Changed Elo's title to be nicer and more fair. :nod:

Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

NancyM wrote:6:52 cam was"stuck" and then all of a sudden, I heard the siblings calling, yelling, shouting - the picture revealed Madis delivered a fish
They had a brawl over the fish...they must be really hungry.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

One thing that was cute about Nori when they were still small...during feedings, the other two would start peeping as soon as they swallowed, but Nori would peep immediately, with her mouth still full; a little two-note peep that always sounded to me like she was saying "thank you" before she swallowed.
:bounce:
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Madis has Barishnikov legs. :headroll:
nirtak

Post by nirtak »

Wisteria wrote:Madis has Barishnikov legs. :headroll:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Antoinette

Post by Antoinette »

meierlein wrote::peek:

ELO droppt in

yelling like crazy :rant:

when will the fish come? :shake:

:whistling:
Maybe about time to catch his own??? 8-)
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once..
Ona

Post by Ona »

Wisteria wrote:
Uno's on a surfin' safari.

LOL!!! It's so cute!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sr0QH0e1O4
Àliga Perdiguera 2013 nests in the Parc Natural del Garraf (Barcelona)
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

Wisteria wrote:
Now that you mention it, it does look empty, and there hasn't been anything in it for some time now. Elo has been so patient today, I hope there is a fish soon.

:peek:

maybe tricky little NORI 8-)
will catch the fishes now :whistling:

:rotf:
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

meierlein wrote: maybe tricky little NORI 8-)
will catch the fishes now :whistling:

That would be a pretty good trick, I'd say.
:2thumbsup:
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

Wisteria wrote: I know, I'm glad Elo can't read, but I meant it in a good way, she's so...avid. And I'm a middle child myself, so I can identify with her. At least the photo I used is dignified. I was tempted to use this one:

:bow:

pinkish

Post by pinkish »

Wisteria wrote:Here are some photos from the Class Of 2012:

Always in our hearts, if not always in the nest. :chick: :chick: :chick:
beutiful portrait Wisteria!
they also make me remember some classical portrait painting :rotf:
...goodnight poor little thing
shshen

Post by shshen »

just an interesting tidbit about the name "Nori" :wave:

Originally, the term nori was generic and referred to seaweeds including hijiki.[2] One of the oldest descriptions of nori is dated to around the 8th century. In the Taihō Code enacted in 701, nori was already included in the form of taxation.[3][4] There is a description "local peoples was drying nori" in Hitachi Province Fudoki (721–721), and also there is a description "nori was harvested" in Izumo Province Fudoki (713–733). These show nori was used as food from ancient times.[5] In Utsubo Monogatari, written around 987, nori was recognized as a common food. The original nori was formed as a paste, and the sheet form was invented in Asakusa, Edo (contemporary Tokyo), in the Edo period through the method of Japanese paper-making.[6]

In 1867, the word "nori" first appeared in an English-language publication — "A Japanese and English Dictionary," by James C. Hepburn.[7]

The word nori started to be used widely in the United States, and the product (imported in dry form from Japan) became widely available at natural food stores and Asian-American grocery stores starting in the 1960s, due to the influence of the macrobiotic movement, and in the 1970s with the growing number of sushi bars and Japanese restaurants.

Use
Negitoro gunkanmaki (葱トロ軍艦巻き)

Nori is commonly used as a wrap for sushi and onigiri. It is also a garnish or flavoring in noodle preparations and soups. It is most typically toasted prior to consumption (yaki-nori in Japanese). A common secondary product is toasted and flavored nori (ajitsuke-nori in Japanese), in which a flavoring mixture (variable, but typically soy sauce, spices, and sugar in the Japanese style or sesame oil and salt in the Korean style) is applied in combination with the toasting process. It is also eaten by making it into a soy sauce-flavored paste ,nori no tsukudani (海苔の佃煮).

Nori is sometimes used as a form of food decoration.

A related product, prepared from the unrelated green algae Monostroma and Enteromorpha, is called aonori (青海苔 literally blue/green nori) and is used like herbs on everyday meals, such as okonomiyaki and yakisoba.

Since nori sheets easily absorb water from the air and degrade, a desiccant is indispensable when storing it.

People of Japanese descent have been shown to be able to digest the polysaccharide of the seaweed, after gut microbes developed the enzyme from marine bacteria. Gut microbes from North American subjects lack these enzymes.[8]

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”