DISCUSSION ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

Antoinette

Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by Antoinette »

Kapa wrote:Baltar,
I agree with you. Right now it would be much too early to postulate something would be wrong.
In my posts here you can find the exact dates (well transfered to your signature 8-) ) and also a comparison about the development of the three chicks:
http://looduskalender.ee/forum/viewtopi ... 01#p162601
http://looduskalender.ee/forum/viewtopi ... 78#p163978

The breeding phase for Nori took as long as for Elo and it was 1 day shorter than for Uno.
So the phase after hatching and before fledging is longer compared to her siblings. One day longer than Unos, two days longer than Elos. But compared to the whole development from the egg on today would be the day.

Give or take one or two days shouldn't be alarming. And there are (in my mind) some good reasons for that. First of all I think he often got short in fish when his older and stronger siblings were quicker at Mummy's and Daddy's beak.
Also the weather was not ideal for 2-3 days. Clear weather and good winds animated Elo and Uno to do exercises and finally take off for their maiden flight.

I am no expert in this and I did not have too many time to watch them.
So please correct if these conclusions are wrong.
I am no expert either, but let's not forget that each individual is different from the next, whether they are animals or human....
She'll fly when she's good and ready :nod:
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once..
Antoinette

Post by Antoinette »

Alex germany wrote:Hello

Nice forum here. I'm watching Nori, Elo, Uno and their parents for some weeks and just found this forum. It's not really a typical hobby of mine to watch nature and birds but this ospreys are really fascinating. I think i spend more time to observe animal webcams in the future.

Here is a funny screenshot i took from Nori on 9th august - A rainy day:
Hilarious!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:
Welcome, Alex!!
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once..
Jasmijn

Post by Jasmijn »

Kapa wrote:This morning I was listening to a radio interview with a German stork expert. It was rather about first storks preparing for the return to the winter habitats but beside that the expert also pointed out, that there is a growing rate of returning storks throughout Germany.

I then did a quick research on the internet and found the information, that in southern Germany only 10 out of 100 storks return, 90 get lost during migration. (More information in German).

So what are the reasons for this?
  • hunting
  • pesticides
  • giving up of agriculture esp. ranching
  • drainage
  • river development
  • overhead lines and power poles (responsible for 70% of all accidents)
  • loss of resting ground along the migration routes
  • decrease of diet (due to change in soil conditions and planned elimination of mice and locusts by pesticides)
  • weather conditions (e.g. droughts) in the winter and summer habitats which can restrict food supply
I am totally aware that this list might not be complete and maybe it can not be transfered to ospreys.
Yet it shows, how important it is to have a global view on the problems in order to protect migrating birds.
And it allows to concretely plan improvements. So if you know the migrating routes you can assure food supply by offering protected areas. Also you can improve power poles and lines as it has to be done in Germany (we talked about that lately). Farmers can helb by mowing and prohibition in the use of pesticides can improve the situation for migrating birds.

Little articles in German:
http://www.swr.de/swr1/rp/programm/akti ... index.html
http://www.kreiszeitung.de/nachrichten/ ... 19037.html
http://www.swr.de/swr1/rp/programm/akti ... index.html
Thanks for the information Kapa.
I think this report can be used for each migrating bird.
I follow in our contry the organisations that protect birds (all kind of birds) and they have unfortunattely the same conclusions.
For example apus apus, barn-swalows, Vanellus vanellus and Limosa-limosa all less than ever (the barn swalows I see for myself, this year we only have 2 breeding pears, while a view years ago we had about 8 or 9 pairs)
Sorry I don't now the English names for the other ones.

But now I wonder even more what a transmitter will ad/change to all that?
Will the hunting stop? or the use of pesticide? or will powerpoles taking away?
As long as governments finds economy more importend than ecology nothing will change!
That was (among other things) what I was trying to explaine, we, human beeings are quilty of the return (or not) of the birds (exept extreme weather offcause) and I don't believe a transmitter will give birds a better chance tó return only we KNOW than (as we find them dead) that they are dead and only because of the transmitter we know WHERE they are found dead.
So, I still believe a change of our attitude is more importent than put a transmitter on a birds back.

Someone may call that emotional or over-sensitive well, maybee it is, but that makes my opinion not wrong, just different and I will (can) not change that in the name of so called sience.
(now I can only hope I did not irritate some people, but if so.....so be it)
coffeecat

Post by coffeecat »

Alex germany wrote:
[...]
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
so nice!
welcome, alex!
Jasmijn

Post by Jasmijn »

will(y) wrote: You surely know, that a chipped animals can be tested only from a distance of 50 cm maximum.
Sorry, but I'm a bit confused about your wish to catch the birds wherever they may be seen (it's clear, that many not chipped birds would be caught senseless).
I can take away your confussion: I was writing about a KIND of microchip like we use on cats and dogs (and than the chicks, nót to the adults, when they are banded) so, I have no wish to catch adult birds.
Alex germany

Post by Alex germany »

I have a question:
There is that kalakotkas2 webcam. What is that and does it belong to the Piret, Madis family?
Sorry if that question is already answered but i didn't read all that 327 pages here.
Pontu viewer v2.2 2013 - Tool to look through the Pontu webcam picture archives.
lumberjack

Post by lumberjack »

Alex germany wrote:I have a question:
There is that kalakotkas2 webcam. What is that and does it belong to the Piret, Madis family?
Sorry if that question is already answered but i didn't read all that 327 pages here.
Alex,

I send you a PM ...
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Alex germany wrote:I have a question:
Welcome Alex, very funny picture of Nori!

Here is info on the other osprey webcam (Osprey camera 2), from the front page of this site:

"Both Estonian osprey nest cameras were installed at artificial nests built within the ESTLAT Eagles project. The Osprey 2 camera nesting territory is known as one of the oldest and most successful in South Estonia. Last year the ospreys built a new nest here. However, with the autumn storms it fell down from the tree and so we built an artificial nest in the same tree in winter. After the camera installation in spring it turned out that the same pair had another nest as well, about 400 meters away, and this year they are using that. So maybe we will not see ospreys very often in this camera, but the view can be enjoyed..."
Angi

Post by Angi »

Antoinette wrote: I am no expert either, but let's not forget that each individual is different from the next, whether they are animals or human....
She'll fly when she's good and ready :nod:
I agree with you. I believe in mother nature. She will do it right. :nod:
nirtak

Post by nirtak »

Nori, stop eating! you can stay very fat and cant fly
nitram

Post by nitram »

hehe ^^ ich glaube auch :) nori zu viel fressen
Alex germany

Post by Alex germany »

@Wisteria and Lumberjack
Thank you very much.
Pontu viewer v2.2 2013 - Tool to look through the Pontu webcam picture archives.
terbobun

Post by terbobun »

Who is that on top of the cam always 'talking', er. yelling... ekk my ears. It seems like it is elo who visits nori most of the time, Uno is not interested. I truly believe Nori will fly when she is good and ready. As they say in the bald eagle cam, We are not on OUR time. we are on "Osprey" time. Thank you again for all of the wonderful pictures and funny comments that get me laughing so hard. This is the first bird cam where there are chatters from all over the world and not just USA. You people are wonderful!!! And i feel lucky to have found this cam and forum.
Tonia

Post by Tonia »

Helmut wrote:Everyone is in sorrow on this, the onlyone who is not in sorrow, seems to be Nori itsself.
I don't agree with you. Nori will fly, I am sure. Maybe she is a little slow on the uptake, but don't forget: she is younger than the others, and the weather might be an extra factor. But I don't think that Nori is ill or not complying with the standard!
:thumbs:
wega07

Post by wega07 »

Hello everybody from Munich.
I have a question about the guides: why has the number 7 Nori as the youngest and most recently hatched and not the number 9?
Eden

Post by Eden »

I watch this osprey-family since a couple of weeks, the forum however I discovered only a few days ago.
My congratulations to this forum, I appreciate very much all the postings, pictures and videos.
Just one question:
does anybody know how far away the water is where Madis and Piret get their fishes from?
One planet meets another. Planet 1 says to Planet 2, “Hey you look terrible”. Planet 2 says, “Yes I know. I have Homo Sapiens.” Planet 1 says, “Don’t worry. I had that too and it will soon disappear.
Starling

Post by Starling »

wega07 wrote:Hello everybody from Munich.
I have a question about the guides: why has the number 7 Nori as the youngest and most recently hatched and not the number 9?
:hi: I think they were put in size order: 7 smallest (Nori), 8 Uno and 9 (Elo) the biggest.
wega07

Post by wega07 »

Or ladies first ;-) ?
Starling

Post by Starling »

Eden wrote:I watch this osprey-family since a couple of weeks, the forum however I discovered only a few days ago.
My congratulations to this forum, I appreciate very much all the postings, pictures and videos.
Just one question:
does anybody know how far away the water is where Madis and Piret get their fishes from?
Eden :hi: This is from page 40 (25th May):
Urmas wrote: ...
Fish farm is not far, did not measure, but about two-three kilometers and the natural lake is even a bit closer...
Lunan

Post by Lunan »

wega07 wrote:Hello everybody from Munich.
I've heard that they start with the smallest when they ring them. Young Nori was the smallest and got S7. And Uno, the oldes, was a bit smaller than Elo, the middle chick, so Uno got S8, and Elo, the middle chick was the biggest/heaviest when they were ringed and therefor got S9.

So wight-order from smallest to biggest, thats my guess.
If you would like to support the Eagle Club, the bank account details are:

KOTKAKLUBI (address if needed: Hauka kula, Valgjarve vald, 63406 Polvamaa)
IBAN: EE182200221040359778
BIC: HABAEE2X
Swedbank AS, 8 Liivalaia Street,15040 Tallinn, Estonia

If you like to donate some for specific action, please mention it when you make your donation.

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”