It is currently January 20th, 2018, 4:59 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4875 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 244  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012
PostPosted: May 8th, 2012, 4:46 pm 
Offline
Registered user
User avatar

Joined: November 30th, 2009, 2:22 pm
Posts: 5990
Location: the Netherlands
:hi: Fleur! How are yóu?
Yes, strange isn't it. Dictionary says zeearend. Well, doesn't matter, it is a beautiful bird :)

Edit: it is a Prisma dictionary, must be reliable :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012
PostPosted: May 8th, 2012, 4:50 pm 
Offline
Registered user
User avatar

Joined: November 11th, 2009, 10:01 am
Posts: 26004
Location: Netherlands - Groningen
jopie wrote:
:hi: Fleur! How are yóu?


:thumbs: ... :laugh:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012
PostPosted: May 8th, 2012, 4:52 pm 
Offline
Registered user
User avatar

Joined: November 30th, 2009, 2:22 pm
Posts: 5990
Location: the Netherlands
Fleur wrote:
jopie wrote:
:hi: Fleur! How are yóu?


:thumbs: ... :laugh:



Good, great :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012
PostPosted: May 9th, 2012, 5:13 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: October 14th, 2008, 5:20 pm
Posts: 5690
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA
jopie wrote:
Mutikluti, Thanks, although it is not clear still. Last link is the White Tailed Eagle, other kind of Eagle than the Sea Eagle.

:wave: jopie

All eagles in the genus Haliaeetus are popularly called "sea eagles" -
There are eight living species:
Bald Eagle (H. leucocephalus)
White-tailed Eagle (H. albicilla)
White-bellied Sea Eagle (H. leucogaster)
Sanford's Sea Eagle (H. sanfordi)
African Fish Eagle (H. vocifer)
Madagascar Fish Eagle (H. vociferoides)
Pallas's Fish Eagle (H. leucoryphus)
Steller's Sea Eagle (H. pelagicus)

The osprey is also know as "Fish hawk" - sometimes the popular names can get us very confused but the Latin names show that the Haliaeetus species and the osprey Pandion belong to two different groups of animals (all of them beautiful!)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012
PostPosted: May 9th, 2012, 7:41 am 
Offline
Registered user
User avatar

Joined: November 30th, 2009, 2:22 pm
Posts: 5990
Location: the Netherlands
NancyM, thank you so much for this answer. NOW it is completely clear to me. :loveshower:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012
PostPosted: May 9th, 2012, 10:20 am 
Offline
Registered user
User avatar

Joined: April 17th, 2010, 10:54 am
Posts: 2426
Location: Germany, Bavaria
Nancy: Thank you for your explanation of the different kinds of Eagles. It helps me a lot.
Bleggi :hi:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012
PostPosted: May 9th, 2012, 2:53 pm 
Offline
Registered user

Joined: December 5th, 2008, 7:00 pm
Posts: 1836
ame wrote:
--------------------------------
fish hawk and fish eagle sound quite reasonable names for this corgeous bird. for some reason the name in Finnish is kalasääski where kala = fish and sääski = mosquito! :mrgreen: i have no idea why the name is such.
another name for it in Finnish is sääksi (which only means the name of this bird; note the order of s and k)

Just a guess but: - the sääksi in its name can have a quite reasonable etymological ancestry, but people at some point in time no longer recognised the original word . However, they did and certainly do know sääski. So it was assumed sääksi was a mistake, and was "corrected" to sääski.
Cf. MS Word "correcting" your more esoteric vocabulary :mrgreen:

EDIT. Actually there is a thesis (of sorts; not doctoral) from 2008 on the names of diurnal birds of prey in Nordic languages. P 36-37 about the osprey; oldest written evidence seems to be -säxi, and one guess is that it is a call imitation (onomatopoeic, that is ...) :innocent:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012
PostPosted: May 9th, 2012, 4:16 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: April 7th, 2009, 9:26 pm
Posts: 33604
Location: Turku, Finland
Liis wrote:
ame wrote:
--------------------------------
fish hawk and fish eagle sound quite reasonable names for this corgeous bird. for some reason the name in Finnish is kalasääski where kala = fish and sääski = mosquito! :mrgreen: i have no idea why the name is such.
another name for it in Finnish is sääksi (which only means the name of this bird; note the order of s and k)

Just a guess but: - the sääksi in its name can have a quite reasonable etymological ancestry, but people at some point in time no longer recognised the original word . However, they did and certainly do know sääski. So it was assumed sääksi was a mistake, and was "corrected" to sääski.
Cf. MS Word "correcting" your more esoteric vocabulary :mrgreen:

EDIT. Actually there is a thesis (of sorts; not doctoral) from 2008 on the names of diurnal birds of prey in Nordic languages. P 36-37 about the osprey; oldest written evidence seems to be -säxi, and one guess is that it is a call imitation (onomatopoeic, that is ...) :innocent:

i checked my etymological dictionary on both words sääski and sääksi, too. the written/spoken forms seem to have been mixed and confused over the times in both ways. i suppose it hasn't mattered much since people have known the difference well enough. :mrgreen:
or maybe the fish has been added in front of the mosquito to make the difference clearer. 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012
PostPosted: May 10th, 2012, 1:08 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: September 20th, 2008, 12:40 am
Posts: 15870
Location: Winchester, UK
Poor Mutikluti has lost her photobucket pictures - that's awful for all of us!

It is due to some kind of hitch in the account renewal process. I do hope it can be sorted out quickly. I will phone to bucket later today - it is a USA number


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012
PostPosted: May 10th, 2012, 1:16 pm 
Offline
Registered user
User avatar

Joined: August 16th, 2009, 12:19 am
Posts: 756
Location: DK
Jo UK wrote:
Poor Mutikluti has lost her photobucket pictures - that's awful for all of us!

It is due to some kind of hitch in the account renewal process. I do hope it can be sorted out quickly. I will phone to bucket later today - it is a USA number


yes indeed - hope you can sort it out, Jo

I had just discovered, because I was reading from the very beginning of this forum, and did wunder why all Mutiklutis photos has vanished - it was while the second egg appeared

and now I have to leave because of duties :cry:

_________________
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012
PostPosted: May 10th, 2012, 1:27 pm 
Offline
Registered user
User avatar

Joined: November 30th, 2009, 2:22 pm
Posts: 5990
Location: the Netherlands
B.H.P. some of yours are also gone, who will be next???? :cry:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012
PostPosted: May 10th, 2012, 5:02 pm 
Offline
Registered user
User avatar

Joined: August 16th, 2009, 12:19 am
Posts: 756
Location: DK
jopie wrote:
B.H.P. some of yours are also gone, who will be next???? :cry:


oh no, not again. It´s excatly the same photos that also disappeared shortly after I put links here in forum.
Hope I´ll find them in the Photobucket-folder when I get time to see.

I found all photos in the folder at PB - have replaced the links once again in the posts and it works for the time being, but perhaps they´ll vanish again although I don´t hope so

_________________
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012
PostPosted: May 10th, 2012, 9:22 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: September 20th, 2008, 12:40 am
Posts: 15870
Location: Winchester, UK
b.h-p wrote:
Jo UK wrote:
Poor Mutikluti has lost her photobucket pictures - that's awful for all of us!

It is due to some kind of hitch in the account renewal process. I do hope it can be sorted out quickly. I will phone to bucket later today - it is a USA number


yes indeed - hope you can sort it out, Jo

I had just discovered, because I was reading from the very beginning of this forum, and did wunder why all Mutiklutis photos has vanished - it was while the second egg appeared

and now I have to leave because of duties :cry:

Helpful Hint when dealing with Photobucket -
DON'T CALL THE PHONE NUMBER which is listed somewhere. There are no humans there, only a silicone-based life form with a recorded message.

Instead, go to your Album page. Top right where you see your username, there is a drop-down box. Choose Help.
There, you can write your question or request.
Then wait. The query about Mutikluti's account is "Awaiting assignment to a help desk operator"

I expect Mutikluti is spitting nails by now, but I don't know what else to do!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012
PostPosted: May 10th, 2012, 10:21 pm 
Offline
Registered user
User avatar

Joined: August 16th, 2009, 12:19 am
Posts: 756
Location: DK
Jo UK wrote:
b.h-p wrote:
Jo UK wrote:
Poor Mutikluti has lost her photobucket pictures - that's awful for all of us!

It is due to some kind of hitch in the account renewal process. I do hope it can be sorted out quickly. I will phone to bucket later today - it is a USA number


.....................:

Helpful Hint when dealing with Photobucket -
DON'T CALL THE PHONE NUMBER which is listed somewhere. There are no humans there, only a silicone-based life form with a recorded message.

Instead, go to your Album page. Top right where you see your username, there is a drop-down box. Choose Help.
There, you can write your question or request.
Then wait. The query about Mutikluti's account is "Awaiting assignment to a help desk operator"

I expect Mutikluti is spitting nails by now, but I don't know what else to do!


I have replaced links in the first posts with missing photos today (p.18), which I also had to do the day after I posted them for the first time and they are still there (or was at least last time I checked), but now I have discovered that other photos in a post (p.21) are vanished .................... it seems that PB is not relieable for the time being :cry:
I´ll look at the PB help tomorrow - thanks for the advice
:offtobed:

_________________
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012
PostPosted: May 11th, 2012, 11:19 pm 
Offline
Registered user
User avatar

Joined: August 16th, 2009, 12:19 am
Posts: 756
Location: DK
I have now replaced links to my missing photos, and hope they´ll stay now.

I have noticed that Mutiklutis photos are back again :D

_________________
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012
PostPosted: May 12th, 2012, 1:29 am 
Offline
Registered user
User avatar

Joined: November 17th, 2008, 12:12 am
Posts: 6786
Location: Alsace, France
b.h-p wrote:
I have now replaced links to my missing photos, and hope they´ll stay now.

I have noticed that Mutiklutis photos are back again :D


:loveshower: Good news b.h-p. and Mutikluti. :2thumbsup:

I will add that the incubation time for osprey's eggs is;
35 to 42 days from date the first egg is laid and so on, egg No 2 (or three) days later and so on until all the eggs are hatched.
Average hatching time is 37 days
Now who is good at sums ? :shake:

_________________
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012
PostPosted: May 12th, 2012, 2:12 pm 
Offline
Registered user

Joined: May 11th, 2012, 8:28 pm
Posts: 285
Just to say hello to all and to say how marvelous this webcam is. I came upon this site by accident and have become hooked on the going's on on the nest. A big thank you to all who have posted photos etc. They are spectacular and so so clear.
I have been concerned at the length of time that the eggs are left unattended and sincerly hope they will ok. I have no history of this nest so dont know if this pair have returned this year or is it their firsr year together? I must also say that I am not great with computers and dont know how to record or post pics etc, but am gratefull to those that can.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012
PostPosted: May 12th, 2012, 2:14 pm 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: May 5th, 2010, 8:10 pm
Posts: 3964
14:43-14:53 One osprey on the eggs, nothing special happened

I had a look at the egg-laying dates of another osprey nest. The eggs arrived in three-day intervals, so if Piret and Madis will have another egg, we should see it probably tomorrow between 12:00 and 16:00. :shake:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012
PostPosted: May 12th, 2012, 2:27 pm 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: May 5th, 2010, 8:10 pm
Posts: 3964
Millie wrote:
Just to say hello to all and to say how marvelous this webcam is. I came upon this site by accident and have become hooked on the going's on on the nest. A big thank you to all who have posted photos etc. They are spectacular and so so clear.
I have been concerned at the length of time that the eggs are left unattended and sincerly hope they will ok. I have no history of this nest so dont know if this pair have returned this year or is it their firsr year together? I must also say that I am not great with computers and dont know how to record or post pics etc, but am gratefull to those that can.



Hello Millie, welcome :wave:

I think there is no reason to be concerned, there is almost always one of the parents in the nest. Sometimes one of them sits on the cam ("upstairs"), out of sight, but there. You´ll notice that if you wear headphones.

If I remember right, Urmas wrote somewhere here that "the right female" of this nest has a ring at the left leg, but I´m not sure - maybe you can find the message. The female of "our" breeding pair is not ringed, and there were at least three females who inspected the nest - and the male. LK member Mutikluti gave the osprey breeding couple Estonian names: Piret = female & Madis = male osprey.

Here some more information about the osprey nests:
http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/13110
http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/13126

You can make videos and take pictures with VLC player, it´s a freeware. If you have any questions about how to install it or how to handle it, please post your question. I´m sure somebody from the forum is able to help you. And a lot of answers can be found here: viewforum.php?f=3


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012
PostPosted: May 12th, 2012, 7:26 pm 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: May 5th, 2010, 8:10 pm
Posts: 3964
You´re right, Carmel, it´s very tempting to interpret their facial expressions... :mrgreen: :laugh:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4875 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 244  Next

All times are UTC + 2 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group