DISCUSSION ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

Jasmijn

Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by Jasmijn »

Mariano wrote:
Thanks Maertha, I read a lot about this forum and others. I felt very sad about the death of Stephy. I learned a lot and I admire you all for the knowledge and the harmony that exists between you. I know there are other people in my country that so far only read. I hope they will be encouraged when they see me here. Thank you.

Mariano.
Hi Mariano, welcome here, and yes there is, Gitane is here, also from Spain.
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

IKat wrote:Piret's behaviour is the norm:

~The female osprey will almost always lay three brown-blotched whitish or pinkish eggs several days apart. <snip>
IKat, I know I have read this somewhere, but could you please cite your source?

I think many of us are writing as though we know what is going on with Piret (she is worried, she is scared, she is teaching ...) but in fact, all we can do is make observations. We should not impose human emotions on birds of any species.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Note;
There is a Griffon Vulture thread in this forum. The nest is in Portugal but the nesting season in long over,until next spring ;

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=274

The young can,maybe be still seen on cam. I haven't loked for a long time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do remember Piret has helped prepare the nest building, layed the eggs,brooded them and fed them until they are able to feed themselves.
Piret has moulted too whilst brooding. Now she needs to clean/prepare her feathers and eat a lot to regain her strength for the long migration flight.Her work is done and well done. :D
:wave:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
maertha

Post by maertha »

Mariano wrote:
Thanks Maertha, I read a lot about this forum and others. I felt very sad about the death of Stephy. I learned a lot and I admire you all for the knowledge and the harmony that exists between you. I know there are other people in my country that so far only read. I hope they will be encouraged when they see me here. Thank you.

Mariano.
Dear Mariano, thank you for your message! I think we all learn a lot about wildlife while we are watching those fantastic Looduskalender cameras. Here, as anywhere, is not always harmony – but fortunately LK cross borders… :2thumbsup: One of the many pleasant aspects of this project and this forum is – in my opinion – that we can discuss controversial topics in a civilized way. You might have seen this in the discussion about the poor, brave and beloved Stephy - I was very sad about this message too :-( - and also in the discussion about Piret and the transmitter. I´m glad you found the forum, and I would like to invite everybody from your beautiful country to join the LK community.
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Angi wrote:I have so many questions and I'm so curious. :unsure:
Hi Angi and all the other new members of the Forum! WELCOME to all of you - this international community is really wonderful. :gathering:

I would like to mention that there are many parts to this Looduskalender forum (and the website, too). If you look at the first index page:
http://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/
you will see a number of topics on different cameras that LK and Kotkaklubi broadcast and on birds and other species in general; we also have a Social Corner (viewforum.php?f=27 ) where you are all welcome to chat and talk a bit about yourselves and your local area, or ask questions.
IKat

Post by IKat »

NancyM wrote: IKat, I know I have read this somewhere, but could you please cite your source?

I think many of us are writing as though we know what is going on with Piret (she is worried, she is scared, she is teaching ...) but in fact, all we can do is make observations. We should not impose human emotions on birds of any species.
Sure Nancy....the link is right here:

http://www.njpalisades.org/cn2006_07-08.htm

Have a couple of others that I'll post also..... :D
S7-Nori-F?
S8-Uno-M?
S9-Elo-F?

"There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a
landscape as it was before." ~ Robert Lynd
IKat

Post by IKat »

Other info sites Nancy......

http://www.articlesbase.com/education-a ... 98596.html

http://www.friendsofblackwater.org/ospr ... 00095.html (first entry)

http://palmettoospreys.blogspot.com/ (June 18th entry)..... :D

I hope by reading some of this information it will help anyone who is concerned with the way Piret is behaving toward the chicks to know that it is normal behavior and she doesn't suddenly hate her babies....she's just being an osprey mother....and sometimes that can be very hard. Thanks Nancy.
S7-Nori-F?
S8-Uno-M?
S9-Elo-F?

"There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a
landscape as it was before." ~ Robert Lynd
Cara

Post by Cara »

maertha wrote:16:50 Piret brings a fish

THANK YOU a lot, dear maertha, for all your wonderful videos :-)
Also THANKS to all the others, who post videos of our Osprey family! :-)
I love your videos and I'm glad that you're doing this!
“Animals have done us no harm and they have no power of resistance.…There is something so very dreadful…in tormenting those who have never harmed us, who cannot defend themselves, who are utterly in our power.” (~ Cardinal John Henry Newman ~)
Cara

Post by Cara »

meierlein wrote::peek:

tricky NORI

"Before I leave
I better clean the nest

maybe a visitor comes, when I`m out"
^^

:mrgreen:

:rotf:
Yeah! I've seen this scene at evening after "late night dinner" - your interpretation of this is great :rotf:
“Animals have done us no harm and they have no power of resistance.…There is something so very dreadful…in tormenting those who have never harmed us, who cannot defend themselves, who are utterly in our power.” (~ Cardinal John Henry Newman ~)
Angi

Post by Angi »

Thanks to Joem13 and fraszka for the explanations, they were really helpful. :thumbs:

And special thanks to NancyM for the warm welcoming and also for the hint.
I think I have a lot to dig here. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Nice weekend @ all :wave:
Fee UK

Post by Fee UK »

A couple of good UK sites

Rutland has been operating for 18 years now and there's lots of information and photographs. Really interesting for me, is the education programme they run in the Gambia where their Ospreys migrate.

http://www.ospreys.org.uk/osprey-facts/west-africa/

Loch Garten (I wonder if this is where Urmas has gone? The man who runs this in Scotland is a bit of an Osprey guru!)
http://www.roydennis.org/animals/raptors/osprey/

I hope it is OK to post these here - kind of a sideshow while we wait for the youngest to take off!
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Thank you for all the sites and references, Ikat and Fee. It is good if when we put information here that we give the original source.

The one book I have is: Ospreys: A Natural and Unnatural History, by Alan F. Poole. Cambridge University Press, 1989, 246 pp. (based on his studies in the NE USA, but giving a global perspective - well worth the price of this scholarly book, if you can find a used copy).

Of interest to me is this comment by Roger Tory Peterson at the end of the forward to Dr Poole's book:
"Of all the raptors, the Osprey is the one that can live most happily with modern man, if given a chance."
0hansen

Post by 0hansen »

Are there any positive confirmations on the gender of the birds?

I think S8/9 are males, and S7 is female.

:whistling:
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

0hansen wrote:Are there any positive confirmations on the gender of the birds?

Not yet, Ohansen, still waitng for the DNA results.
Kapa

Post by Kapa »

This morning I was listening to a radio interview with a German stork expert. It was rather about first storks preparing for the return to the winter habitats but beside that the expert also pointed out, that there is a growing rate of returning storks throughout Germany.

I then did a quick research on the internet and found the information, that in southern Germany only 10 out of 100 storks return, 90 get lost during migration. (More information in German).

So what are the reasons for this?
  • hunting
  • pesticides
  • giving up of agriculture esp. ranching
  • drainage
  • river development
  • overhead lines and power poles (responsible for 70% of all accidents)
  • loss of resting ground along the migration routes
  • decrease of diet (due to change in soil conditions and planned elimination of mice and locusts by pesticides)
  • weather conditions (e.g. droughts) in the winter and summer habitats which can restrict food supply
I am totally aware that this list might not be complete and maybe it can not be transfered to ospreys.
Yet it shows, how important it is to have a global view on the problems in order to protect migrating birds.
And it allows to concretely plan improvements. So if you know the migrating routes you can assure food supply by offering protected areas. Also you can improve power poles and lines as it has to be done in Germany (we talked about that lately). Farmers can helb by mowing and prohibition in the use of pesticides can improve the situation for migrating birds.

Little articles in German:
http://www.swr.de/swr1/rp/programm/akti ... index.html
http://www.kreiszeitung.de/nachrichten/ ... 19037.html
http://www.swr.de/swr1/rp/programm/akti ... index.html
0hansen

Post by 0hansen »

Wisteria wrote: Not yet, Ohansen, still waitng for the DNA results.
My guess is based on size and how soon they leave the nest, females are usual bigger and it takes a while longer to get on the wings..
pinkish

Post by pinkish »

0hansen wrote:Are there any positive confirmations on the gender of the birds?

Me too...

Nori has a very different kind of feathers and behavior..
...goodnight poor little thing
alice44

Post by alice44 »

0hansen wrote: My guess is based on size and how soon they leave the nest, females are usual bigger and it takes a while longer to get on the wings..
I had thought Elo was maybe female, but I have been changing my thoughts -- today it really seemed that Nori was bigger than Elo, but I do think the nest is bigger than I really understand so my depth perception and judgements about size are a bit iffy.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

alice44 wrote: I had thought Elo was maybe female, but I have been changing my thoughts -- today it really seemed that Nori was bigger than Elo, but I do think the nest is bigger than I really understand so my depth perception and judgements about size are a bit iffy.
Nori does seem to be the biggest of the three, I think she's female too, the others I'm not sure of.
nitram

Post by nitram »

Nori is healthy?

mhhh ist Nori gesund oder warum will sie/er nicht fliegen? Ich mache mir langsam Sorgen :(

habe ein Video in Bearbeitung mit Bildern und Videos von Geburt bis zum Flug. Warte nur noch auf Nori um es fertig zu stellen. Aber Nori will nicht.

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”