DISCUSSION ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

Cara

Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by Cara »

NancyM wrote:Someone was sitting in a tree --- in the distance (I saw him (her) flutter her wings).

THEN ...

Hi NancyM,
I hadn't time for watching the cam until afternoon and more than some seconds of time for this forum only now (around 1am for me here) and I am glad about this forum once more because I got my missed news here ;-)
(Thanks to all here)!
Thank you so much (!), Nancy, for these pics - wonderful :loveshower: (and funny :laugh: )
“Animals have done us no harm and they have no power of resistance.…There is something so very dreadful…in tormenting those who have never harmed us, who cannot defend themselves, who are utterly in our power.” (~ Cardinal John Henry Newman ~)
Cara

Post by Cara »

NancyM wrote:nest is crowded

:rotf: :laugh:
THANK YOU AGAIN!
“Animals have done us no harm and they have no power of resistance.…There is something so very dreadful…in tormenting those who have never harmed us, who cannot defend themselves, who are utterly in our power.” (~ Cardinal John Henry Newman ~)
Cara

Post by Cara »

pinkish wrote:'morning everyone!

thanks for your pics and comments! they crack me up :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I quite agree, Pinkish
So much awesome funny pics! Thanks to ALL who posted these images or links to "Pontu" :wave:
gjuselover

Post by gjuselover »

Hey ! Where can I find the migrationmap?
Thanks for wonderful pics..I am not technical so wonder where this will come up..
Because of you I now can see that I had wrong about Noris lack of food..everytime I looked it seemed that her siblings got it all..her mother made something once, she ran away with the wings over her head ..sat so for five minutes ..but here I see that she was well fed.. although I havent read it all yet. And in the end..she is a fighter . Sometimes I felt so sorry about her that I didnt like the other two. shame on me.. Now I love them all (Nori most) and admire the parenting and the nature so wise. Dont know how much I shall follow this birds, it has been a happy end so far.

Oh sorry I am blind..now I have it saved the map...Fantastic !! :bow: :bow:
Cara

Post by Cara »

gjuselover wrote:I have watched from the middle of this adventure..I have followed Nori with love..thought I was the only one :) and here I find so many like me..and beatiful pics and caring people..today I joined this forum and I want to thank everybody, now I have plenty to read and look at, from side 100 and forworth..my english is no good..I am a 60 years old lady in Sweden who is in love with those brave birds called Fiskgjuse in Sweden.

NO! You wasn't the only one who followed (little) Nori with LOVE as you see Image

Very welcome here, gjuselover
Best wishes
to you in Sweden :wave:
Cara

Post by Cara »

Morlach wrote:I've noticed a few times recently the nest is empty then suddenly one or more of the babies arrives on the nest squawking like crazy, then about 20 seconds later Madis arrives with a fish. Wonder if they are following and observing him fishing then scamper back to the nest once he gets a fish. Maybe they are just perched nearby and see him coming I guess, but would this be a part of the learning experience and Madis teaching them. However if they where perching say, on the cam housing and the see him coming, I would think that the they would jump down onto the nest then Maids would arrive almost immediatety but the time delay indicates to me they know hes coming earlier and race back to the nest. Any thoughts or observations?

Hi Morlach,
.....yes, same question for me since I watch this cam (also with Piret when Madis came to bring in fish..... you could feel (see or notice) that she KNEW exactly that Madis will come with fish minutes before he arrived at nest.
My personal oberservations and thoughts:
Piret always knew, when Madis "went fishing" - so she knew, that he will arrive soon with fish for the chicks. In addition to this she must have heard him in the air before he arrived. The three "babies" (before fledging) must have heard him in the air, too. Longer while before his landing in the nest - in the distance......
Meanwhile things changed a bit, I think. I think that Uno and Elo have "fishing trips" together with Madis to LEARN how to hunt food. So they SEE when Madis had success and they RUSH to the nest to await Madis with the fish. I think, they are a bit more fast without transporting a fish than Madis ;-) that's why they arrive before Madis. Maybe Nori does the same meanwhile, but I think for Nori it will need some days more. So Nori only HEARS Madis coming (same as before she fledged) and also a thing of "experience"..... guessing he will come, born out of her experience (time period or/and just HOPE in HUNGER? :mrgreen: ). But independent of "common hunting" also Uno and Elo will still hear Madis in the distance air and will have the "hope in hunger" ;-)
Also a communication must loom large of this "knowing that Madis will bring in food" (for ALL: Piret AND the siblings) .....
That are my personal thoughts about :-)
Cara

Post by Cara »

meierlein wrote::peek:

smart little NORI

"Hej folks
isnt it boring waiting for this fish deliveries?"
:sleep:

:unsure:

*LOL*
..... at this time I was able to watch the cam ..... YES! BORING! :rotf: ..... also annoying?! :whistling:
Cara

Post by Cara »

Urmas wrote:Today about 10:00 Piret turned to migration and was 15:00 in eastern edge of Latvia. Probably she will reach Belarus still today.
Yesterday she visited nesting place between twice - 11:00 and 12:00, also around 14:00, but was not on nest observed. Though once there were three juveniles in nest and one Osprey upstairs as I noticed...

..... her farewell to her kids and home..... :-(

Thank you very much for the information, Urmas!!! ..... and also THANKS (!) to you for your work!
Cara

Post by Cara »

lukris wrote: Somehow sad news... the summer is over and they are leaving, soon the "babies" will be gone too and most importantly, they have a hard trip ahead of them. But on the other hand - their job is done and they need to go... :wave:

I absolutely agree to all what you typed!
Cara

Post by Cara »

Wotid wrote: Welcome. I am simliar to you, except I'm from Australia, Male and not quite 50 yet :) Nori has been my favorite since day 1. I think Nori and us are lucky that there has been plenty of food for all, as in the early days, Nori was so far behind the others he/she was lucky to make it IMHO. :help:

Go Nori! :bow:

YES!!!!!!! ..... so true!
Cara

Post by Cara »

Lunan wrote: Don't worry, asteria, it's daddy's job to teach them how to fish, not mum's, and he will stay until the chicks has learnt enough and migrated themselves. Then he will leave to.

Yes, exactly as Lunan told you! So don't worry about our little Nori, Asteria! Nori has the best Osprey father ever: HERO Super-Madis ;-) Image
..... But..... Asteria, I understand..... I am sad about this news, too Image - even if I knew that THIS will come within these days!
Cara

Post by Cara »

Dadel wrote:I :cry: :hi: WISH pIRET A VERY SAVE JOURNEY. I WILL MISS HET TO. gO FOR IT GIRL.

I am with your words, Dadel.....!
Cara

Post by Cara »

julanoschi wrote:thank you, Urmas for the information about Piret.

Good luck, very best mom of BirdsWorld, hope we see us next spring... Image
:thumbs:

".....very best mom of BirdsWorld....."
Yes :-) very best mom of BirdsWorld and also very best DAD of BirdsWorld! :-)
Cara

Post by Cara »

meierlein wrote::peek:

smart little NORI

"Listen UNO
nice, that you took Mums yelling-place at the cam
but you better should learn how to catch the fish!"
:unsure:

:whistling:

:rotf: LOL Image
Cara

Post by Cara »

meierlein wrote::gathering:

smart little NORI

"Listen UNO
we better clean this stinky place
a lot of disturbing flies because of that leftovers"
:shock:

8-)

:rotf:
Meierlein, it's impossible to reply every of your comments with a :rotf: (would be really too much Image ) ..... but usually most of your "quotations" are worth a big Image ;-)
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

On the bright side, Piret seems to be making good time, according to Migration Map.
IKat

Post by IKat »

Wisteria wrote:On the bright side, Piret seems to be making good time, according to Migration Map.

She sure seems to be.....bless her heart, she's got quite a trip ahead. I'm checking the map for bodies of water ahead of her where she may stop to fish along her journey. This will be quite fun I think. :D
S7-Nori-F?
S8-Uno-M?
S9-Elo-F?

"There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a
landscape as it was before." ~ Robert Lynd
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Uno posed for his class picture this morning:

edit: what a noisy bird he is!

edit: NancyM I hope you don't mind that I used your image. Yours had the better angle :shake:
Cara

Post by Cara »

maertha wrote:Image

AWESOME great pics and vids, maertha! :-))))) .....(related to the pics and vid just before, too)
Thank you! :-)
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Nori's class picture:

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”