DISCUSSION ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

Elaine

Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by Elaine »

I love Nori but fly Nori fly we are waiting :unsure:
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Wisteria wrote:Now Nori's singing a song about it.

:whistling:
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

NancyM wrote:
:whistling:

hahahah So silly!

(I'm getting a little punchy from staying up so late...waiting...for..this...bird...to...fly)
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

Kukelke wrote: Just a few remarks:

- Piret did bring a fish to the nest the other day and left it for the chicks.
- Piret has been close to the nest as good as all the time. Sitting on the cam support a.k.a. 'upstairs' to be exact. That's about 1 meter from the nest. I hear her calls from there every day. She still keeps watch and guards the nest.
- I watch other osprey cams as well, and also there the parets stay close to the nest, but not always visible. Also there I've seen that youngsters 'attack' their parents, which to me seems merely some sort of training than anything else.
- Both with our ospreys and other nests I watch I've seen that chicks sometimes peck at their parents even before they have fledged.
- The chicks pick up the pieces of spilled fish themselves now. I've seen that on enough occasions.
- Don't forget that the behaviour of females changes anyway after the chicks start to fledge. In my opinion Piret's behaviour seems rather natural.

:peek:

I can´t believe, what I have to read on and on again - :banghead:
maybe MILLIE is watching the nest without sound ^^

:help:
Antoinette

Post by Antoinette »

Moral support??? :whistling:
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once..
Jasmijn

Post by Jasmijn »

@Wisteria:
:slap: AGAIN............'a KIND of microchip!' not the same as the microchip we use for our dogs and cats.
I Just wanted to say; nót a big backpack, but a small 'thing' we can place IN the birds and (hopefully) will not bother them.
You keep writing about identification, I know that and that's NOT wat I mean, I just hope they will find something with the SIZE of a microchip that can be used as a transmitter!
I hope this is clear enough for joú now wisteria?
eaglette

Post by eaglette »

lispet

Post by lispet »

Jumping around at 9:30-9:40

Lispet, your super big pictures have been moved to viewtopic.php?f=56&t=487

If you want to re-post them here, please can you reduce them in size to 800 x 600?
Thanks.
Admin.
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

julanoschi wrote:Perhaps, Madis was hunting this fish for Elo, showing him hunting. And now, Elo should eat this fish? :peek:

ELO must not eat her fishes in the nest-bowl
maybe she has to share with NORI

I even think, that UNO is already able to catch his fishes
therefore he is not seen in the nest since yesterday early morning ^^

:wave:
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

:shock: :shock:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

lispet wrote:If I saw right Elo flew off with the "wrong" fish (=smaller tail from previous fish). Nori found the "right" fish (=fresh and bigger that Elo was eating earlier) and started eating.
I missed that he got the wrong fish, what I noticed was how beautifully he took off with his prize.
Elaine

Post by Elaine »

How many weeks till the Osprey migrate and do they migrate in a group like geese or own their own? :help:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Alice I have the feeling that today is the day! OK, we will watch at early evening.
Ranger

Post by Ranger »

Hi Elaine,

You asked when this beautiful Osprey family will migrate - and will they all go together.
I've been watching a particular Welsh Osprey family for a few months and have learned a little about Osprey behaviour. The family won't migrate as a family. Probably - Piret (the mum) will migrate first - fairly soon, then the juveniles, one by one - they won't go together, then probably Madis (the dad) will be last or close to the last. He'll hang around and make sure the juveniles are being fed.

If you have a look at this URL
http://www.dyfiospreyproject.com/blog/2 ... nth-august
then ... scroll down a bit on that particular page - you'll see what happened in 2011 with the family of Nora (the mum), Monty (the dad) and their 3 chicks Leri, Einion and Dulas. There is a nice table there with all the dates of what happened when.

This year - 2012 - Nora (the mum) has already migrated; she left a few days ago. Only one chick was successfully bred this season; his name is Ceulan (pronounced Kay-Len). I don't think it will be long now before both Ceulan and Monty start their journey.

Colleen
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Welcome to the forum Ranger Colleen, and thanks for the information. This is our first season watching Estonian ospreys so we are glad of any help :loveshower:
coffeecat

Post by coffeecat »

thank you so much for your informations, ranger colleen.
and welcome!
Ranger

Post by Ranger »

To coffeecat and JoUK
Thanks for the welcome. Hoping little Nori will be able to make her first flight soon. She looks to be in very good physical condition. According to this page about 'Osprey Facts' the average fledging age is 53 days - but can range from 49-56 days with males fledging earlier than females.
See http://www.dyfiospreyproject.com/scienc ... prey-facts
Colleen
shshen

Post by shshen »

Hi

I haven't been posting to this forum for quite a while, but have been watching the Estonia nest.

I am a bit concerned about Nori who seems reluctant to leave the nest. Nori looks healthy and does have a good appetite.

could it be that Nori have some kind of physiological problem that is preventing her from fledging? Or is Nori just lazy?

Right now it is 1245pm (Aug 12) and she has finally decided to do a couple wingers

I am hoping that itis a case of laziness and Nori will finally decide that it is time to take to the sky.
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

little tricky NORI

"Hej folks
are you still watching? :shock:

I will start to leave the cosy nest-bowl
when you take your naps ^^

promise"

:mrgreen:
Yiki

Post by Yiki »

Ranger wrote:To coffeecat and JoUK
Thanks for the welcome. Hoping little Nori will be able to make her first flight soon. She looks to be in very good physical condition. According to this page about 'Osprey Facts' the average fledging age is 53 days - but can range from 49-56 days with males fledging earlier than females.
See http://www.dyfiospreyproject.com/scienc ... prey-facts
Colleen
That's very reassuring, thank you. She's been flapping a lot today, so I think she's just taking her time.

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”