DISCUSSION ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

Wisteria

Re: Osprey-related Discussion.

Post by Wisteria »

Millie wrote:As have not seen Piret today and would like to know if she is still about, as she now has a transmitter her location will be known by those who are monitoring her.
I hope they will be kind enough to let us know where she is and if she has started her migration.
Here is a link to the migration map, Millie

http://birdmap.5dvision.ee/index.php?lang=en
Lunan

Post by Lunan »

Wisteria wrote: Come on, meierlein, tell the truth...you are writing a children's book about Nori, aren't you? :laugh:
Oh, that would be wonderful! Please do, meierlein! :chick:
If you would like to support the Eagle Club, the bank account details are:

KOTKAKLUBI (address if needed: Hauka kula, Valgjarve vald, 63406 Polvamaa)
IBAN: EE182200221040359778
BIC: HABAEE2X
Swedbank AS, 8 Liivalaia Street,15040 Tallinn, Estonia

If you like to donate some for specific action, please mention it when you make your donation.
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

Millie wrote:As have not seen Piret today and would like to know if she is still about, as she now has a transmitter her location will be known by those who are monitoring her.
I hope they will be kind enough to let us know where she is and if she has started her migration.
As said before: female ospreys stay at least two weeks after the last chicks have fledged, often even some longer time, before they migrate. So Piret will be back for sure. I heard Piret's calls from the cam support a couple of times today too. Piret is still close to the nest even when she's not visible.
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

Wisteria wrote: Here is a link to the migration map, Millie

http://birdmap.5dvision.ee/index.php?lang=en
Piret is not plotted in yet, I think. Or have I looked wrong?
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Kukelke wrote: Piret is not plotted in yet, I think. Or have I looked wrong?
No, she is not on there yet. I linked it so Millie can see it once Piret does start to migrate.

I heard Piret upstairs today too., directing traffic. :wave:
Yiki

Post by Yiki »

Oh, I can just see it: "Nori, the tricky ospreylet". :chick: :chick: :chick:
Helmut

Post by Helmut »

meierlein wrote::peek:
"after that nightmeal
I will need an Ouzo for sure"
:whistling:
:help:
I'm confident, she will ! Nori is pleasure oriented.

Helmut
Helmut

Post by Helmut »

To be honest, watching this kamera since several weeks, I no longer can see fish.... :peek:

Helmut
Alex germany

Post by Alex germany »

Oh, there's a Pontu archive, that's nice.
Is there any tool or anything to step through all the pictures?
Pontu viewer v2.2 2013 - Tool to look through the Pontu webcam picture archives.
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

beans, thank you for the video! We are trying to keep track of the number and species of fish for Urmas.

Alex, I don't know of any tool to change the date and time automatically on the Pontu archives, but I think a couple of people may have manufactured something themselves. :puzzled:
Alex germany

Post by Alex germany »

@NancyM
Then I try to make a simple tool and post it here if you like.
Pontu viewer v2.2 2013 - Tool to look through the Pontu webcam picture archives.
Lunan

Post by Lunan »

Alex germany wrote:@NancyM
Then I try to make a simple tool and post it here if you like.
That would be great, Alex! :2thumbsup: Right now I change the date and time manually wich takes a lot of time.
If you would like to support the Eagle Club, the bank account details are:

KOTKAKLUBI (address if needed: Hauka kula, Valgjarve vald, 63406 Polvamaa)
IBAN: EE182200221040359778
BIC: HABAEE2X
Swedbank AS, 8 Liivalaia Street,15040 Tallinn, Estonia

If you like to donate some for specific action, please mention it when you make your donation.
Cara

Post by Cara »

meierlein wrote::peek:

NORI :shock:

"O Mum - I nearly was sleeping!
what shall I do with that fat big piece of fish?" :cry:

:mrgreen:

Image Indeed, Meierlein, Nori had a good dinner (some parts of this were still in the nest, obviously too much food..... )..... after dinner she did her homeworks like wing training, cleaning the room Image body cleaning and she was nearly fallen asleep Image when Madis came with that huge night meal ..... and she really looked very astonished about it Image
“Animals have done us no harm and they have no power of resistance.…There is something so very dreadful…in tormenting those who have never harmed us, who cannot defend themselves, who are utterly in our power.” (~ Cardinal John Henry Newman ~)
Millie

Post by Millie »

Thank you Astria and Kulkelke for your information. From my experience Pire should be activly involed in building her strength up for fishing, and also catching for the young for at least a couple of week more. Normally the female stays close to the nest and keeps it free from bits of dead fish etc. This has not happened on this nest from the moment Piret was trapped. She has not spent five minutes in all sinse then. Yesterday Nori attacked her and treated her as an intruder, forcing Piret to leave and take fish with her which Madis had brought for the chicks.
Cara

Post by Cara »

Tonia wrote:
Will they not come back in spring? :shock:

Hello Tonia,
meierlein answered your question very correctly!
Thank you, meierlein :-)
Osprey female and male have a "marriage", means they are together as a couple for breeding in the same nest (if possible) their whole life, so if Piret and Madis will survive their migration, they will come back next spring. Osprey youngsters will stay at their migration place about 3 years before they (maybe) come back. They stay at the migration place until they are sexually mature, what will need about 3 years.

And thank you MEIERLEIN and MACDOUM, that you take a liking for my presentations Image
“Animals have done us no harm and they have no power of resistance.…There is something so very dreadful…in tormenting those who have never harmed us, who cannot defend themselves, who are utterly in our power.” (~ Cardinal John Henry Newman ~)
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

Millie wrote:Thank you Astria and Kulkelke for your information. From my experience Pire should be activly involed in building her strength up for fishing, and also catching for the young for at least a couple of week more. Normally the female stays close to the nest and keeps it free from bits of dead fish etc. This has not happened on this nest from the moment Piret was trapped. She has not spent five minutes in all sinse then. Yesterday Nori attacked her and treated her as an intruder, forcing Piret to leave and take fish with her which Madis had brought for the chicks.
Just a few remarks:

- Piret did bring a fish to the nest the other day and left it for the chicks.
- Piret has been close to the nest as good as all the time. Sitting on the cam support a.k.a. 'upstairs' to be exact. That's about 1 meter from the nest. I hear her calls from there every day. She still keeps watch and guards the nest.
- I watch other osprey cams as well, and also there the parets stay close to the nest, but not always visible. Also there I've seen that youngsters 'attack' their parents, which to me seems merely some sort of training than anything else.
- Both with our ospreys and other nests I watch I've seen that chicks sometimes peck at their parents even before they have fledged.
- The chicks pick up the pieces of spilled fish themselves now. I've seen that on enough occasions.
- Don't forget that the behaviour of females changes anyway after the chicks start to fledge. In my opinion Piret's behaviour seems rather natural.
Cydrome

Post by Cydrome »

Cara wrote: Osprey female and male have a "marriage", means they are together as a couple for breeding in the same nest (if possible) their whole life, so if Piret and Madis will survive their migration, they will come back next spring. Osprey youngsters will stay at their migration place about 3 years before they (maybe) come back. They stay at the migration place until they are sexually mature, what will need about 3 years.
If you think about it, Piret and Madis' mating, brooding and parenting behavior is amazingly complex.

Obviously it starts with inborn instincts, but I imagine much was learned by trial-and-error. They probably weren't nearly as good at it with their first chicks, suggesting that each successive year's family will have a better chance of prospering in their care.

Can't wait until they return in April.
To a man, ornithologists are tall, slender, and bearded - so that they can stand motionless for hours, imitating kindly trees as they watch birds. - Gore Vidal
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Estigia wrote:...
NORI: "Hhhmmm let's see those wings of mine... Are they large enough to fly already?"

Holy mother of God, I almost JUMPED out of my chair. There was a moment few minutes ago when NORI just ran to the edge of the nest flapping his/her wings and in the last moment... he/she STOPPED!

Little troll NORI! Don't shock me like this :shock:

I saw that too, and the wing stretch. Nori's just messing with our minds now. :shake:

And for some reason, I have a feeling that's exactly how Nori will fledge...a run and a jump into the wild blue yonder.
Estigia

Post by Estigia »

Wisteria wrote: I saw that too, and the wing stretch. Nori's just messing with our minds now. :shake:

And for some reason, I have a feeling that's exactly how Nori will fledge...a run and a jump into the wild blue yonder.
Yeah, I'm sure he/she knows we all are GLUED to the screen XD waiting for see him/her to fly by first time

Tricky NORI!
maroni

Post by maroni »

Wisteria wrote:A pine cone with wings

That's it! :2thumbsup:

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”