DISCUSSION ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

maertha

Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by maertha »

I compared some more dates, this time from a nest in the Müritz National Park, Germany. :wave:

E Egg laying dates
H Hatching dates
F Fledge dates

E April 12/14/17
H May 18/20/22

E April 14/17/19
H May 21/-/26
F July 10/17

E April 12/14/17
H May 19/20/22

An interesting detail: In 2010 the female left the yesterday mentioned nest at Schlaitz on July 6 after being there five weeks more or less constantly. Two young eagles fledged on July 22/24, and the male provided them with food until they left the area for the migration (first young eagle on August 28, second young eagle on September 2, adult male on September 3). That´s a long time, even though it seems to be common that the female leaves earlier for the journey to Africa. (But not all females of a region at the same time – another note from Schlaitz says, that after the female of a breeding pair had left the nest, several others came and inspected it.)

From this place it has been also reported that not only the breeding pair but also other ospreys were seen at the nest during the breeding period.

It´s maybe not impossible to observe similar visitings here.
maertha

Post by maertha »

I can´t remember if this video has been already posted somewhere?

“Wonderful footage of an osprey catching fish”, published on 5 Mar 2012 by arkive

Millie

Post by Millie »

Congratulations to Madis and Piret on3rd chick. Also thank you for welcoming me to this forum. The pictures are stunning of this lovelly Osprey family. Here's looking forward to healthy chicks. I have been watching Ospreys for 4yrs now and have always observed incubation from laying of first egg and that is why I have been concerned about first and second egg on this nest as I have seen both eggs left for up to ten minutes on some occasions. Wonderfull video of Ospre fishing, it never fails to amaze me the skill and energy they put into it.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

I will post this link again (already posted P 15 April 30th) as we have permission to consult this from SWT;

http://blogs.scottishwildlifetrust.org. ... prey-faqs/

All you ever wanted to know.... :rolleyes: Breeding,nesting, mores, habitats etc etc.
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

A strange occurance at the osprey nest in Dyfi (wales) today.
Nora(F) feeding Monty(M) who doesn't quite know what to make of the situation. :rotf:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... f8QnmMz3v4
Courtsey of Dyfiospreyproject.
(this should be elsewhere ? Please move if so.)
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Osprey- Evolutionary Adaptations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... tGsu-Y22fI

Courtesy of Dyfi difyospreyproject. :thumbs:
Emily Dickinson
Millie

Post by Millie »

What a contented scene and so pleased Piret has had a good breakfast.
Birds and nest looking good in the sunshine
Millie

Post by Millie »

Just to say big thank you to all who have posted superb pics.
Liis

Post by Liis »

00.00 - 00.35 cam time this Monday morning -
Birdsong - several birds - at both Estonian osprey cameras (very faintly at the Latvian too), also dogs barking far off.

At a guess, one might have been nightingale (L. luscinia, eastern or thrush nightingale :innocent: ) not singing at full voice or full programme yet. Other candidates?
Song thrush is called ööbikusulane, "nightingale's handyman", in some areas, because te songs are similar..
h
Also a pinpoint light winking on and off in Camera 2, top left area of the screen.
EDIT: "Pinpoint" is there on screen captures, but not for other cams, so no computer artefact; probably a warning light on power or telecommunication mast (or industry chimney, but less likely from daytime view)
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Both osprey cams had stopped briefly.. :puzzled: (Esti & Latvia )

Liis,I admit I rarely visit the Cam 2 as its obvious no osprey will visit this season.
The background view is marvellous and one can see right to the horizon. :D
I saw no blinking light just now. Is it just at nightime ?
Emily Dickinson
Liis

Post by Liis »

macdoum wrote:Both osprey cams had stopped briefly.. :puzzled: (Esti & Latvia )

Liis,I admit I rarely visit the Cam 2 as its obvious no osprey will visit this season.
The background view is marvellous and one can see right to the horizon. :D
I saw no blinking light just now. Is it just at nightime ?
Light - yes, no chance it would be visible in daylight. Just a small pinpoint - but I have only a 19' screen - off periodically, blinked itself up to glass-topped pin size at most, and didn't change position during 45 mins or so, so not a plane (unless it was hovering).
Birdsong: loud and clear at black stork nest now, none when I checked there at midnight.
scylla

Post by scylla »

Thank you for the superb captures!

I found out today about Monty and Nora at Dyfi, Wales (UK) whom someone mentioned earlier:

They were new parents last year and their first egg was not covered as well as it should have been. In the end it hatched at 42 days, several days after the second egg. So Madis and Piret's #1 is not necessarily doomed :2thumbsup:
HemplerRitter

Post by HemplerRitter »

Hi there. i'm watching the two since quite a while now from a link i found on a funpic page. Now i found this forum and i always wondered when the babybirds are going to come. Is there an estimated time they should hatch?

Best greeting to all
jopie

Post by jopie »

Hello HemplerRitter. Nobody answered your question yet, so I shall try. Several sites give several answers as far as the incubation time lasts. It is between 35 and 42 days, it varies a few days depending which site you watch. If you can keep a close watch from the 17th of June, you won't miss the first hatching.
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

maertha wrote: I would be glad if I could help with the programme. Just let me know. :wave: :offtobed:
Thanks Maertha - I know you will :D . I´ll try to find the time for news at the PC and let you know
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
jopie

Post by jopie »

b.h-p wrote: thanks jopie! But it was pure luck.

Was in another room when I for don´t know what time again during the last ½ an hour heard Piret call loudly, did look the other times too but she was just calling "without reason" and therefor I hesitated, but suddenly realized that this time it might be for some reason and ran to the PC and pressed a buttom in hope it was the right one. I was lucky.
It is just the way it works here. I can only take printscreens and have to be lucky too :laugh: This time I saw Madis flying in, saw the fish and was too late to take a picture. But you were there.
macko50

Post by macko50 »

Good morning Everybody!

Non of the cameras are working at my place which are using the new stream format :(

It's OK now! :)
"One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals." - Mahatma Gandhi
George
http://madarlesok.lapunk.hu/
jopie

Post by jopie »

Macko50, I had problems too, no images at all, but then I made a restart and now everything is fine again.
maertha

Post by maertha »

Thanks for information and pictures! :wave:
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

:wave:

thanks to all for report and photos for today :2thumbsup:
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”