DISCUSSION ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

b.h-p

Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by b.h-p »

maertha wrote:Hello everyone, after the ringing of our ospreys I received a few questions. I had collected some other frequently asked osprey questions before and forwarded a little bunch now to Urmas. He kindly answered them yesterday.

Thanks to Urmas for taking the time to answer our questions![/size]

at page 194
:hi: Maertha

Thanks so much for this - and also thanks to Urmas for the replies :2thumbsup:
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
Birdie

Post by Birdie »

andi! :2thumbsup:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Nori S7, Uno S8, Elo S9
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

NancyM wrote::wave: Wisteria - this is "my time" in Estonia - only 10 PM where I am.

5:13 Nori is full, now it is Elo's turn.

I'm the same time, Nancy, 10:00, this is kind of late for me. Have a nice night!

:offtobed:
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

Some general observations/tendencies the last few days:

1) Uno, and especially Elo, now allow Nori to get food first almost every time a fish is delivered. Could this be because Uno and Elo have reached (close to) their maximum weight and do not need as much fish as Nori who is still in the process of gaining maximum weight?
After all the only thing Uno and Elo have to do now, is to develop their feathers more, and that takes less calories than gaining weight, I would think.

2) Piret seems to eat more herself now than she did previously when all three chicks were very hungry all the time. Especially when Uno and/or Elo are lined up for food these days. Piret now often feeds Elo/Uno a few bites, then eats herself a couple of decent-sized chunks ignoring the open beaks and calls from Uno/Elo, before she continues feeding them.
Could this be because she sacrificed herself and didn't eat enough during the last crucial weeks when the chicks had to grow from the size of a golfball to 1,5 kilo birds? And that she now needs to come into shape again so she soon can help Madis with catching fish for the chicks?
MIGUEL

Post by MIGUEL »

Thank you for the photos.
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

:banghead:

NORI still hates this sugar rain :shock:

:wave:
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

14:32h

you can hear owls :shock:

:wave:
jopie

Post by jopie »

Kukelke wrote:Some general observations/tendencies the last few days:

1) Uno, and especially Elo, now allow Nori to get food first almost every time a fish is delivered. Could this be because Uno and Elo have reached (close to) their maximum weight and do not need as much fish as Nori who is still in the process of gaining maximum weight?
After all the only thing Uno and Elo have to do now, is to develop their feathers more, and that takes less calories than gaining weight, I would think.

2) Piret seems to eat more herself now than she did previously when all three chicks were very hungry all the time. Especially when Uno and/or Elo are lined up for food these days. Piret now often feeds Elo/Uno a few bites, then eats herself a couple of decent-sized chunks ignoring the open beaks and calls from Uno/Elo, before she continues feeding them.
Could this be because she sacrificed herself and didn't eat enough during the last crucial weeks when the chicks had to grow from the size of a golfball to 1,5 kilo birds? And that she now needs to come into shape again so she soon can help Madis with catching fish for the chicks?

:hi: Kukelke, I don't think birds have that kind of thinking about each other: they go after the food when they are hungry, if they let another one go first I think it only means they are not hungry. (Uno had just finished most of that fish Madis brought).
Second observation I do not know if that is true, I have the feeling it also depends on what they ate previous.
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

jopie wrote:
:hi: Kukelke, I don't think birds have that kind of altruisme: they go after the food when they are hungry, if they let another one go first I think it only means they are not hungry. (Uno had just finished most of that fish Madis brought).
Second observation I do not know if that is true, I have the feeling it also depends on what they ate previous.
Hi Jopie, my remarks weren't meant to describe some form of altruism by Uno and Elo, but just what you say: they (Uno and Elo) are less hungry now, because they don't need to gain weight anymore. The only thing they need calories for now, is to maintain their temperature and to develop their feathers more, thus they need less food, and have probably undergone some change in their metabolism, I would think. Nori still needs to grow and gain some more weight.

About Piret: there's a new fish delivered, lets see what Piret does now in this regard.
jopie

Post by jopie »

Kukelke wrote: Hi Jopie, my remarks weren't meant to describe some form of altruism by Uno and Elo, but just what you say: they (Uno and Elo) are less hungry now, because they don't need to gain weight anymore. The only thing they need calories for now, is to maintain their temperature and to develop their feathers more, thus they need less food, and have probably undergone some change in their metabolism, I would think. Nori still needs to grow and gain some more weight.

About Piret: there's a new fish delivered, lets see what Piret does now in this regard.
Okay :laugh:
andi7

Post by andi7 »

Kukelke wrote: Hi Jopie, my remarks weren't meant to describe some form of altruism by Uno and Elo, but just what you say: they (Uno and Elo) are less hungry now, because they don't need to gain weight anymore. The only thing they need calories for now, is to maintain their temperature and to develop their feathers more, thus they need less food, and have probably undergone some change in their metabolism, I would think. Nori still needs to grow and gain some more weight.

I think it depends on Madis fishing success. If the food supply is sufficient, the chicks will be able to share "peacefully". Yesterday Madis got that big fish. All three chicks lost interest for eating during this feeding twice. I can't remember Uno being so eager for food as Elo and Nori at same age. Maybe it's because of Elo being female, Uno and Nori male. Was Piret feeded by Madis since the chicks hatching date or got herself some food during her absences? Where did she fly when Madis was upstairs and she returned without nest material?
pinkish

Post by pinkish »

Kukelke wrote:Some general observations/tendencies the last few days:

Very good analysis!
I really think you're right about everything you thought!
...goodnight poor little thing
jopie

Post by jopie »

pinkish wrote: Very good analysis!
I really think you're right about everything you thought!
Sorry, I do not agree at all with these observations: a) they are not eating less, and b) they do need to eat as much as usual because all the wing exercises take a lot of energy.
I know of bird parents who reduce the food of the chicks a few days before they leave the nest, but our osprey's are not at that point yet.
gala

Post by gala »

thoview wrote: I got a pic of that situation..
Uno and Nori can't believe their eyes! :rotf:
jopie

Post by jopie »

gala wrote: Uno and Nori can't believe their eyes! :rotf:
Wonderful picture, Gala, thanks :loveshower:
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

Lovely picture, thanks. :D

Elo behaving as a real teenager; sometimes being difficult and giving mum a big mouth. :mrgreen:
gala

Post by gala »

Jopie: It's not my picture (I wish). I think it's Thoview's :bow:
Starling

Post by Starling »

Great pic! :thumbs: :laugh:
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

jopie wrote:Sorry, I do not agree at all with these observations: a) they are not eating less, and b) they do need to eat as much as usual because all the wing exercises take a lot of energy.
I know of bird parents who reduce the food of the chicks a few days before they leave the nest, but our osprey's are not at that point yet.
I've been researching a bit, and found this information from the Dyfi Osprey Project in Wales. These are the weekly numbers of fish caught by their male in 2011. They had also three chicks in 2011, just like we have too.

You can see a clear decrease in the amount of delivered fish after their chicks were about the same age as ours are now.
In the text there is also stated:
Week 14-15. A predictable decrease in fish consumption during these two weeks down to 22/23 fish per week - all three chicks are now the same weight as their parents - a little heavier sometimes. Most of the body mass is achieved and it's only the feathers, particularly the flight feathers, that are growing at this stage.

http://www.dyfiospreyproject.com/scienc ... h-bar-2011
To me it looks like this more or less confirms my observations that the two oldest chicks aren't hungry all the time anymore, and therefore often allow Nori (who is a few days behind) to eat first.

I don't know if Urmas & Kotkaklubi also keep track of the amount of fish delivered each week, but it would be interesting to compare those numbers.
gala

Post by gala »

Birdie wrote:20:35 Nori makes some trouble and puts branches on his/her siblings :rotf:
I saw it!. Too funny :rotf:

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”