DISCUSSION ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

alice44

Re: Osprey-related Discussion.

Post by alice44 »

Birdie wrote:ok, break tooks not so long :rotf:
I dont like forums who deletes posts, I dont like administrators who act like gods. So... I' m wrong here :mrgreen:

:wave:
I don't think you are wrong, I feel very uncomfortable with deletions, but it is polite to use one thread for observation and one thread for emotional discussion and it is better to treat people who disagree with respect.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

The nest in my town was on power poles right over the main road into town. The nest was moved a few feet on to a fake power pole -- so that the old power pole could be replaced. The ospreys moved to their new home for two years with no problem. So although I don't know I think the problem is with the food supply. It could be that the river has been too warm for fish (we are building a new cooling tank for treated water so that we do not kill the fish with warm water) or it could be too many people playing on the river or... but I hope they will come back.

And this sort of relates because without information from many sources it is hard to know what is happening.
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

alice44 wrote: I don't think you are wrong, I feel very uncomfortable with deletions, but it is polite to use one thread for observation and one thread for emotional discussion and it is better to treat people who disagree with respect.
It is wonderful when we can have discussions that open our eyes to other points of view - I myself am of two opinions about the transmitters and will read but not argue either way (at the moment) ~ there is good, there is the not-so-good about that research protocol, but I need more information and less emotion to come to a conclusion.

One guideline that is best for all of us to follow is to respect others posting here, and not post personal insults - those will be deleted, it is part of our rules of the forum. No Admin wants to act "like a god" but the number of people who prefer posts to be on-topic and respectful to the hosts (LK and Kotkaklubi) far outnumber those who want a belligerent, I-can-say-anything-I-want atmosphere.
IKat

Post by IKat »

May I ask a question if it is in no way osprey related?

OK....I will ask and then I will delete this post.....

Are there any Hummingbird species in Estonia or Latvia?

Does anyone have a link to any bird forums that discuss other bird species for Estonia or Latvia? Thank you.
S7-Nori-F?
S8-Uno-M?
S9-Elo-F?

"There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a
landscape as it was before." ~ Robert Lynd
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

IKAt -please do not delete your post ...

there are some other topics in this forum that might answer your question (I will go look)

(we watch bird feeder cams and there are some wonderful species in Estonia to learn about)
IKat

Post by IKat »

Oh...thank you Nancy...
S7-Nori-F?
S8-Uno-M?
S9-Elo-F?

"There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

IKat wrote: Are there any Hummingbird species in Estonia or Latvia?
I looked at the Cornell U website to be sure, but hummingbirds occur only in the Western Hemisphere (North and South America).

http://www2.dnr.cornell.edu/ext/ext/new ... ngbird.pdf
Quote:
Hummingbirds are unique to the Western Hemisphere. More
than 300 different kinds (species) are known, mostly from Central
and South America, with a few species in the Caribbean, and at least
a dozen species reaching the northern limits of their ranges in the
southwestern United States.

PS. I LOVE the picture of the osprey face that you posted - is that your photo?
IKat

Post by IKat »

NancyM wrote: I looked at the Cornell U website to be sure, but hummingbirds occur only in the Western Hemisphere (North and South America).

http://www2.dnr.cornell.edu/ext/ext/new ... ngbird.pdf
Quote:
Hummingbirds are unique to the Western Hemisphere. More
than 300 different kinds (species) are known, mostly from Central
and South America, with a few species in the Caribbean, and at least
a dozen species reaching the northern limits of their ranges in the
southwestern United States.

PS. I LOVE the picture of the osprey face that you posted - is that your photo?

Thank you for looking for me Nancy....our ruby-throats are really keeping the feeders jumping here...thought perhaps there might be some little beauties in Estonia that we could check out. That photo of that little osprey is so cute....and I wish it were mine but its merely a stock (free for posting) photo that is used by the New Jersey Raptor/Wildlife research group. Love his hair-do......thanks again.. :D
S7-Nori-F?
S8-Uno-M?
S9-Elo-F?

beans

Post by beans »

We had a seabird, with a transmitter, in care at Bird Rescue a few years ago. We called the agency that put on the transmitter to discuss whether or not we should remove it. The bird, which was a male, didn't seem bothered by it, but who knows? Had it been a female, I wonder whether it would interfere with mating.

The bird was released with the transmitter.
Please help preserve wildlife and wildlife territories
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

IKat wrote:Does anyone have a link to any bird forums that discuss other bird species for Estonia or Latvia? Thank you.
At this moment, all I can find in our LK forum is this section on the bird feeder webcam:
viewforum.php?f=54

Probably the Europeans here can help you more than I can, you might try asking in this General Interest topic: viewforum.php?f=11
IKat

Post by IKat »

NancyM wrote: At this moment, all I can find in our LK forum is this section on the bird feeder webcam:
viewforum.php?f=54

Probably the Europeans here can help you more than I can, you might try asking in this General Interest topic: viewforum.php?f=11

Thank you so much Nancy.... :D
S7-Nori-F?
S8-Uno-M?
S9-Elo-F?

alice44

Post by alice44 »

IKat wrote: Thank you so much Nancy.... :D
We have a thread Birds Birds Birds under "seasons" since birds vary with the seasons, where people can post pictures of their birds, I do not think it is a thread frequented by experts but as Nancy says Europeans know their birds better than we do. I think I asked about the smallest bird and I think maybe a Yellow-crest was mentioned. They look similar to our Golden Crowned Kinglets.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=281

It would be very nice if that thread became more active.

edit:
also

Somewhere someone posted a link to a sort of online Estonian bird check list (I do not know where) -- but as I recall the list did not make it not easy to tell if a bird is rare or common. I have used a Wikipedia Estonian bird list and it definitely includes birds rarely seen.
IKat

Post by IKat »

Thank you Alice..... :D
S7-Nori-F?
S8-Uno-M?
S9-Elo-F?

Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Great pics!

Uno: "Why waddle when you can jump?"
Yiki

Post by Yiki »

NancyM wrote: It is wonderful when we can have discussions that open our eyes to other points of view - I myself am of two opinions about the transmitters and will read but not argue either way (at the moment) ~ there is good, there is the not-so-good about that research protocol, but I need more information and less emotion to come to a conclusion.

One guideline that is best for all of us to follow is to respect others posting here, and not post personal insults - those will be deleted, it is part of our rules of the forum. No Admin wants to act "like a god" but the number of people who prefer posts to be on-topic and respectful to the hosts (LK and Kotkaklubi) far outnumber those who want a belligerent, I-can-say-anything-I-want atmosphere.
I totally agree with you, Nancy. Couldn't have put it any better. I'm very sad to see people leave the community because of this, especially because most of them are people whose posts I've enjoyed reading and who contributed a lot to the community. However, I believe that - no matter how emotionally charged the subject might be for you personally - there is always a way to discuss things respectfully without insulting others and their opinions. It's the moderators' job to intervene when this line is crossed and I trust them enough to believe that this is exactly what they have done - for the good of the community.

I'm not quite sure what to make of the use of transmitters myself, but I'm definitely glad that the one used on Piret doesn't have an antenna. I've seen those used on the Dyfi ospreys and it's hard to imagine that the tagged birds can lead a normal life with that spiky "thing" on their back. :puzzled: I do hope Piret returns to the nest at least once so we know she's alright...
Cara

Post by Cara »

Okay, what I've learned now about such a high-frequented forum is: after being absent since morning until night it's better to read ALL postings of the past day before I give any reply to a comment :nod:
I gave a comment about "transmitter with antenna" and after reading all postings from the day I know the facts, which are: 1. a new forum's place for discussions about transmitting (so excuse my "antenna posting" about the video here - it was before I read) - 2. Piret with a transmitter since past midday (afternoon) and THIS transmitter has no antenna and looks like juta showed at the pic (thank you, juta!).

So inside me currently: The answer to my wondering of past evening: 1.WHERE was Piret and why she didn't come to "clean up and re-decorate the room" and to take care for her babies with a last visit before she flys to sleep upstairs?
2. Tears in my eyes..... because Piret is such a gorgeous and enchanting beauty and daily I loved to look at her and to admire her careful and tender behavior as a mother! And since now she is wearing a humanmade electric thing on her beautiful plumage and maybe I (and her babies) will not (never?) see her again :-(
3. But otherwise I try to think, that she would have left us in every case (latest in September) and I (we) would not get any sign of her to know if all would be fine with her and this transmitter will give me (us) the possibility to know where she is and to get signs of her! I hope it will be helpfully for other ospreys and will make possible a better protection of ospreys. So finally it's more positive than negative with the transmitter.

I hope that Piret will come back to her babies and we will see her again before she will migrate to a far land.
Beauty Piret
“Animals have done us no harm and they have no power of resistance.…There is something so very dreadful…in tormenting those who have never harmed us, who cannot defend themselves, who are utterly in our power.” (~ Cardinal John Henry Newman ~)
Maxiesma

Post by Maxiesma »

OK, I just turned on the nest and see 2 did someone leave, am trying to read posts I missed, but too many and I am not patient. Thank you and good evening to some and good morning to others.
Kapa

Post by Kapa »

RFG, so glad you got that on video. I am looking forward to watch that moment again. Thanks!
lasher

Post by lasher »

well, that didn't work...let me try a url

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2jsPWRDKBY
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

lasher wrote:well, that didn't work...let me try a url

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2jsPWRDKBY

Beautiful!!

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”