DISCUSSION ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

Cara

Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by Cara »

Hello maertha :wave:
thank you a lot :-)
THAT could be the reason, indeed ..... because there were to hear sounds of shots at afternoon.......

Here you can see the light at horizont late at night ;-)

Rain stopped and you can hear some movement from lonely (wet) Nori.....
“Animals have done us no harm and they have no power of resistance.…There is something so very dreadful…in tormenting those who have never harmed us, who cannot defend themselves, who are utterly in our power.” (~ Cardinal John Henry Newman ~)
Kapa

Post by Kapa »

Jasmijntje wrote:Okay, we 'understands the movements' of the bird and than what???
Did the bird feel better because we know that?
Can we prevent storms and/or hurricanes because of that?
Sorry I am a bit synical, but what is the use of knowing that, exept the satisfaction of our curiosity?
We can't change the wind or rain, we can't make migration less difficault for them (or easyer)
I realy don't understand the need to torture a bird for such little information do you?
Okay, maybee I'm also a bit (or a lot) sensitive about how to treat animals, but if the birds have no benefit from their 'backpack' I say no to such things, it makes me sad.
Hello Jasmijntje,
don't bother about the english, I think most of us are no native speakers, including me.
I think I could understand what you wanted to say.
Yet I am not so pessimistic about the issue.

Can we prevent storms or hurricanes? No (at least not yet). But steadily improvement of the weather forecast show, that warning systems can work and can save peoples life. And nobody would doubt the use of researching in this area.
Even more, there is research going on even in exact the issue you asked for: how to prevent or influence storms and severe weather. According to very local application it is already a day-to-day business (e.g. the "Hagelflieger" in the South of Germany, airplains which try to prevent from hail due to cloud injections).
This is only an example of steady research paying off later.
Jasmijntje wrote:we can't make migration less difficault for them (or easyer)
That is not true. As far as I know there are several examples where after detecting problems specific awareness training helped changing local conditions (changing knowledge and views and behavior of residents and even changing laws and restricting use of toxins).
Jasmijntje wrote:I realy don't understand the need to torture a bird for such little information do you?
How do you define torture? In our case Piret got under some stress, several minutes I guess. She was done no harm, she can fly and her behavior didn't change permanently. Every attack of a predator would certainly be more torture.
And to look for the pay-off: if the data Pirets transmitter collects help to calm down the fish farmers and to compensate for a loss in fish, it maybe avoid them to just shoot ospreys.
Surely I do not see all the possible information, the biologists will retrieve from the transmitters.
But I am sure, they do not intend to torture same animals, they want to protect. And that it is not mainly about curiosity.
Greetings,
Kapa

Question to all:
are there any known issues about shooting or trapping of ospreys? Can information about them also take effect on the access covers of the fish farms and the forest operations?
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

I was away most of the day, but happy to see and read all the updates and pictures. Thank you all for that!

Lil' Nori was smart not to try to fly under these windy and rainy conditions, and with Madis feeding him Nori is very privileged.
Speaking of which... Madis is a true hero that he even in this weather managed to keep his family so well-fed.
Cara

Post by Cara »

Past wednesday in short notes:
• until evening a very windy day with many storm winds in between
• an absolutely RAINY day - it rained cats and dogs nearly the whole day
• Nori was alone at nest the most time - but siblings visited Nori every now and then,
so you sometimes could see our family nest with two or three kids
• Nori ate A LOT! ;-) (S)he was very dominant in "appropriating" fishies, when siblings were at nest, too - and also during the day Nori had some fishies alone for (with ;-) ) her/him, which mostly landed into Nori's tummy :-)
• Uno and Elo accepted the dominat behavior of Nori, so no stress between the siblings (but hungry Uno and Elo, maybe (? :whistling: ).......
• Storm, wind and also rain stopped at evening for a new rain late at night (but a "tiny" rain in comparison to the rains over the day)
• Nori went to sleep ALONE (first time) "with (disturbing) branch-friend"
• It's 03:30 EEST currently and as far as I noticed Nori had a silent sleep until now
HIGHLIGHTS of past day:
○ PIRET visited the nest (I know of TWO times - don't know if I missed another visit?)
○ MADIS feeded Nori! He came immediately after Nori was alone in a heavy rain and it seemed, that Nori was depressed by it. He came with a fishie and started to feed Nori! It was like: "Don't be sad, I am here for you!" It was a
heart touching moment :-)

MADIS is a hero (as Kukelke typed before) in fishing and taking care
(only to mention: Also is Piret!!!!!!! But it's the (nature) time of that what Piret do currently (no feeding, only visits)! It's sad in some way, but it's NATURE! Her babies have to learn standing alone without her! :-( So Piret was and IS a wonderful mother - same as Madis is a wonderful father!)
Besides: I agree to Meierlein, Piret really is still around her babies and I can hear her talking to them over the whole day, usually from cam support (as always before) and sometimes from the distance ;-)
“Animals have done us no harm and they have no power of resistance.…There is something so very dreadful…in tormenting those who have never harmed us, who cannot defend themselves, who are utterly in our power.” (~ Cardinal John Henry Newman ~)
gala

Post by gala »

:wave: Thanks for your post Cara
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Okay, we 'understands the movements' of the bird and than what???
Did the bird feel better because we know that?
I believe that the more we can learn about a species - where it goes, what it eats, who its enemies are, how it raises its young, the more we can do to help and protect them. If we do not know where they go, how can we try to influence the people who might harm them?
if the data Pirets transmitter collects help to calm down the fish farmers and to compensate for a loss in fish, it maybe avoid them to just shoot ospreys.
although - it is the males who take most of the fish to feed their chicks, and that is why Urmas hoped to trap and transmitter Madis - he also transmittered one or two other males. Of course, Piret might fish from the farms as well, but mostly the males take the fish to feed the chicks, from what we have seen.
Cara

Post by Cara »

Gala :wave: Have a nice day :-)

I felt like being an actor in a horror movie :shock:
Daylight now and you could hear sounds of steps walking through water underneath the nest. Steps of a human? Sounds like - but there was a sound like a grumble (as bears do?) ..... in between some crows ..... Nori looked very afraid and went flat .....
..... then the voice of Piret in the distance but very loud - answer from Madis ..... you could hear Piret landing at the cam support with loud yell ..... Madis flies past the nest ..... Sounds were very creepy........

Okay, meanwhile I didn't hear that steps anymore and Nori is standing at the left side of the nest and seems to be very well :-)
Piret is yelling very loud..... sounds like she is calling for Madis and breakfast for Nori :mrgreen:

But I really wonder WHAT that steps were from????? :puzzled:
Elaine

Post by Elaine »

camera keeps freezing I can only watch for seconds at a time is one else having this problem. :banghead:
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Elaine wrote:camera keeps freezing I can only watch for seconds at a time is one else having this problem. :banghead:
Camera is fine here. It's probably your internet connection, I've had freezing problems like that before. Sometimes it helps to reload the page.
Elaine

Post by Elaine »

Thanks Wisteria :innocent:
Cara

Post by Cara »

Yes, I forgot the sounds like a "duck" ;-)

Thank you Nancy for uploading the pics, I also wanted to do, but it needs centuries for me until I got pics uploaded here :-p

Have a great day - all of you :-)
beans

Post by beans »

Elaine, clear your browser's cache. close your browser, then restart your browser. These steps may solve the problem.
Please help preserve wildlife and wildlife territories
Elaine

Post by Elaine »

Thanks Beans I will try
maroni

Post by maroni »

I think, Nori female, Elo male:
Elaine

Post by Elaine »

I this Elo and Uno are males and Nori is a female. :nod:
maroni

Post by maroni »

Elaine wrote:I this Elo and Uno are males and Nori is a female. :nod:
Yes, Elaine, here they are:
Angi

Post by Angi »

Hello @ all,
I'm pretty new to this forum, and I'm glad I've found it. It's so very interesting and informative to watch these fascinating animals in their natural behavior! It's just great!!
Thanks a lot to all the people who make this possible!! :bow:

Hope you can understand my rusty English ... :blush:
Carma

Post by Carma »

Good morning,
I was away yesterday, but thanks to your awesome posts was able to catch up -
Thank you so much for that, and what a stormy day it was!
Today seems a good day for a maiden flight, or at least some wing exercise.
:chick:
Cara, try uploading photos to http://tinypic.com/, it's the fastest free tool I know.
Have a great day with Osprey family :wave:
Kapa

Post by Kapa »

Thank you NancyM,
no I understand that remark.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

welcome Pikka :hi:

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”