DISCUSSION ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

jopie

Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by jopie »

:hi: Fleur! How are yóu?
Yes, strange isn't it. Dictionary says zeearend. Well, doesn't matter, it is a beautiful bird :)

Edit: it is a Prisma dictionary, must be reliable :)
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

jopie wrote::hi: Fleur! How are yóu?
:thumbs: ... :laugh:
jopie

Post by jopie »

Fleur wrote: :thumbs: ... :laugh:

Good, great :)
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

jopie wrote:Mutikluti, Thanks, although it is not clear still. Last link is the White Tailed Eagle, other kind of Eagle than the Sea Eagle.
:wave: jopie

All eagles in the genus Haliaeetus are popularly called "sea eagles" -
There are eight living species:
Bald Eagle (H. leucocephalus)
White-tailed Eagle (H. albicilla)
White-bellied Sea Eagle (H. leucogaster)
Sanford's Sea Eagle (H. sanfordi)
African Fish Eagle (H. vocifer)
Madagascar Fish Eagle (H. vociferoides)
Pallas's Fish Eagle (H. leucoryphus)
Steller's Sea Eagle (H. pelagicus)

The osprey is also know as "Fish hawk" - sometimes the popular names can get us very confused but the Latin names show that the Haliaeetus species and the osprey Pandion belong to two different groups of animals (all of them beautiful!)
jopie

Post by jopie »

NancyM, thank you so much for this answer. NOW it is completely clear to me. :loveshower:
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

Nancy: Thank you for your explanation of the different kinds of Eagles. It helps me a lot.
Bleggi :hi:
Liis

Post by Liis »

ame wrote: --------------------------------
fish hawk and fish eagle sound quite reasonable names for this corgeous bird. for some reason the name in Finnish is kalasääski where kala = fish and sääski = mosquito! :mrgreen: i have no idea why the name is such.
another name for it in Finnish is sääksi (which only means the name of this bird; note the order of s and k)
Just a guess but: - the sääksi in its name can have a quite reasonable etymological ancestry, but people at some point in time no longer recognised the original word . However, they did and certainly do know sääski. So it was assumed sääksi was a mistake, and was "corrected" to sääski.
Cf. MS Word "correcting" your more esoteric vocabulary :mrgreen:

EDIT. Actually there is a thesis (of sorts; not doctoral) from 2008 on the names of diurnal birds of prey in Nordic languages. P 36-37 about the osprey; oldest written evidence seems to be -säxi, and one guess is that it is a call imitation (onomatopoeic, that is ...) :innocent:
ame

Post by ame »

Liis wrote: Just a guess but: - the sääksi in its name can have a quite reasonable etymological ancestry, but people at some point in time no longer recognised the original word . However, they did and certainly do know sääski. So it was assumed sääksi was a mistake, and was "corrected" to sääski.
Cf. MS Word "correcting" your more esoteric vocabulary :mrgreen:

EDIT. Actually there is a thesis (of sorts; not doctoral) from 2008 on the names of diurnal birds of prey in Nordic languages. P 36-37 about the osprey; oldest written evidence seems to be -säxi, and one guess is that it is a call imitation (onomatopoeic, that is ...) :innocent:
i checked my etymological dictionary on both words sääski and sääksi, too. the written/spoken forms seem to have been mixed and confused over the times in both ways. i suppose it hasn't mattered much since people have known the difference well enough. :mrgreen:
or maybe the fish has been added in front of the mosquito to make the difference clearer. 8-)
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Poor Mutikluti has lost her photobucket pictures - that's awful for all of us!

It is due to some kind of hitch in the account renewal process. I do hope it can be sorted out quickly. I will phone to bucket later today - it is a USA number
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

Jo UK wrote:Poor Mutikluti has lost her photobucket pictures - that's awful for all of us!

It is due to some kind of hitch in the account renewal process. I do hope it can be sorted out quickly. I will phone to bucket later today - it is a USA number
yes indeed - hope you can sort it out, Jo

I had just discovered, because I was reading from the very beginning of this forum, and did wunder why all Mutiklutis photos has vanished - it was while the second egg appeared

and now I have to leave because of duties :cry:
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
jopie

Post by jopie »

B.H.P. some of yours are also gone, who will be next???? :cry:
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

jopie wrote:B.H.P. some of yours are also gone, who will be next???? :cry:
oh no, not again. It´s excatly the same photos that also disappeared shortly after I put links here in forum.
Hope I´ll find them in the Photobucket-folder when I get time to see.

I found all photos in the folder at PB - have replaced the links once again in the posts and it works for the time being, but perhaps they´ll vanish again although I don´t hope so

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

b.h-p wrote: yes indeed - hope you can sort it out, Jo

I had just discovered, because I was reading from the very beginning of this forum, and did wunder why all Mutiklutis photos has vanished - it was while the second egg appeared

and now I have to leave because of duties :cry:
Helpful Hint when dealing with Photobucket -
DON'T CALL THE PHONE NUMBER which is listed somewhere. There are no humans there, only a silicone-based life form with a recorded message.

Instead, go to your Album page. Top right where you see your username, there is a drop-down box. Choose Help.
There, you can write your question or request.
Then wait. The query about Mutikluti's account is "Awaiting assignment to a help desk operator"

I expect Mutikluti is spitting nails by now, but I don't know what else to do!
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

Jo UK wrote: Helpful Hint when dealing with Photobucket -
DON'T CALL THE PHONE NUMBER which is listed somewhere. There are no humans there, only a silicone-based life form with a recorded message.

Instead, go to your Album page. Top right where you see your username, there is a drop-down box. Choose Help.
There, you can write your question or request.
Then wait. The query about Mutikluti's account is "Awaiting assignment to a help desk operator"

I expect Mutikluti is spitting nails by now, but I don't know what else to do!
I have replaced links in the first posts with missing photos today (p.18), which I also had to do the day after I posted them for the first time and they are still there (or was at least last time I checked), but now I have discovered that other photos in a post (p.21) are vanished .................... it seems that PB is not relieable for the time being :cry:
I´ll look at the PB help tomorrow - thanks for the advice
:offtobed:

b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

I have now replaced links to my missing photos, and hope they´ll stay now.

I have noticed that Mutiklutis photos are back again :D

macdoum

Post by macdoum »

b.h-p wrote:I have now replaced links to my missing photos, and hope they´ll stay now.

I have noticed that Mutiklutis photos are back again :D
:loveshower: Good news b.h-p. and Mutikluti. :2thumbsup:

I will add that the incubation time for osprey's eggs is;
35 to 42 days from date the first egg is laid and so on, egg No 2 (or three) days later and so on until all the eggs are hatched.
Average hatching time is 37 days
Now who is good at sums ? :shake:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Millie

Post by Millie »

Just to say hello to all and to say how marvelous this webcam is. I came upon this site by accident and have become hooked on the going's on on the nest. A big thank you to all who have posted photos etc. They are spectacular and so so clear.
I have been concerned at the length of time that the eggs are left unattended and sincerly hope they will ok. I have no history of this nest so dont know if this pair have returned this year or is it their firsr year together? I must also say that I am not great with computers and dont know how to record or post pics etc, but am gratefull to those that can.
maertha

Post by maertha »

14:43-14:53 One osprey on the eggs, nothing special happened

I had a look at the egg-laying dates of another osprey nest. The eggs arrived in three-day intervals, so if Piret and Madis will have another egg, we should see it probably tomorrow between 12:00 and 16:00. :shake:
maertha

Post by maertha »

Millie wrote:Just to say hello to all and to say how marvelous this webcam is. I came upon this site by accident and have become hooked on the going's on on the nest. A big thank you to all who have posted photos etc. They are spectacular and so so clear.
I have been concerned at the length of time that the eggs are left unattended and sincerly hope they will ok. I have no history of this nest so dont know if this pair have returned this year or is it their firsr year together? I must also say that I am not great with computers and dont know how to record or post pics etc, but am gratefull to those that can.

Hello Millie, welcome :wave:

I think there is no reason to be concerned, there is almost always one of the parents in the nest. Sometimes one of them sits on the cam ("upstairs"), out of sight, but there. You´ll notice that if you wear headphones.

If I remember right, Urmas wrote somewhere here that "the right female" of this nest has a ring at the left leg, but I´m not sure - maybe you can find the message. The female of "our" breeding pair is not ringed, and there were at least three females who inspected the nest - and the male. LK member Mutikluti gave the osprey breeding couple Estonian names: Piret = female & Madis = male osprey.

Here some more information about the osprey nests:
http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/13110
http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/13126

You can make videos and take pictures with VLC player, it´s a freeware. If you have any questions about how to install it or how to handle it, please post your question. I´m sure somebody from the forum is able to help you. And a lot of answers can be found here: viewforum.php?f=3
maertha

Post by maertha »

You´re right, Carmel, it´s very tempting to interpret their facial expressions... :mrgreen: :laugh:

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”