DISCUSSION ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

macdoum

Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by macdoum »

Millie,you are welcome here,pics or videos or not. You can always join in the chat and note your observations. :gathering:
:wave:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
maertha

Post by maertha »

scylla wrote:Hello everyone. I have been watching these beautiful ospreys every day for a couple of weeks, since our webcam at Loch Garten, Scotland, had problems. What fabulous quality it is, both picture and sound. Thank you for all the wonderful pics and videos!

Ah, so it was your video, scylla! Thanks again, fine that you have recorded it! I am also not an experienced osprey-watcher, but I think Madis and Piret are doing a fine job :headroll: . We´ll see. :nod:

If you want to share your YouTube videos, please click here to get some information:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=145
scylla

Post by scylla »

Thank you Maertha :loveshower:
maertha

Post by maertha »

scylla wrote:THANK YOU FOR THE INSTRUCTIONS, Maertha :D EASY-PEASY!
You´re welcome, scylla! :D Well done! :thumbs:
flora_belle

Post by flora_belle »

:wave: Hello, I have a question how do u make this photos from the cams?
maertha

Post by maertha »

flora_belle wrote::wave: Hello, I have a question how do u make this photos from the cams?
Hello flora_belle, welcome! Please check VLC player at Google and the topic "Technical questions" at Looduskalender viewforum.php?f=3
ame

Post by ame »

maertha wrote: Hello flora_belle, welcome! Please check VLC player at Google and the topic "Technical questions" at Looduskalender viewforum.php?f=3
...and maybe more specifically from this address: viewtopic.php?p=91369#p91369

the addresses of the cameras attainable with the VLC-player start with rtsp---etc something. they are not in quite public distribution, like JWPlayer addresses which you are connected to when you choose these cameras from the front page drop-down menus. they too can be recorded and pictures can be taken from them but that is a bit more complicated procedure. something like VLC is easier (quite of us we old fa---s are used to that. 8-) )

btw: welcome to the forum! and welcome ChemCibi, Millie and Scylla, too!! :thumbs:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

:loveshower: Welcome Scylla and Flora_belle too.Its great to see we have more observers for the osprey nests. :D
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Nancy..re: sum from The Free Online Dictionary;
sum (sm)
n.
1. Mathematics
a. An amount obtained as a result of adding numbers.
b. An arithmetic problem: a child good at sums.
2. The whole amount, quantity, or number; an aggregate: the sum of the team's combined experience.
3. An amount of money: paid an enormous sum.
4. A summary: my view of the world, in sum.
5. The central idea or point; the gist.
I meant the date when we can expect the first hatching/s .. :rolleyes:
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

macdoum wrote:Nancy..re: sum from The Free Online Dictionary;
I meant the date when we can expect the first hatching/s .. :rolleyes:
I was thinking that doing sums (calculations) in base (approximately) 30 (days in a month), is exceptionally difficult.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

alice44 wrote: I was thinking that doing sums (calculations) in base (approximately) 30 (days in a month), is exceptionally difficult.
Exactly Alice... :rotf: I was hoping someone else had enough fingers to calculate the hatch-dates. :help:
Emily Dickinson
maertha

Post by maertha »

macdoum wrote: I was hoping someone else had enough fingers to calculate the hatch-dates. :help:
Maybe other ospreys are more useful than fingers :mrgreen:

Egg laying and hatching dates, osprey nest Schlaitz (Saxony-Anhalt), Germany

Egg laying dates: April 17/20/23, hatching May 25/26/29
Egg laying dates/eggs noticed in the nest: April 23 (8:38)/26 (about 7:50)/29, hatching June 1 about 6:30 (two eggs were stolen by a marten)
Egg laying dates/eggs noticed in the nest: April 21 (about 8:05)/24 (about 9:10) /27 (about 8:10), hatching May 30 (20:58)/31 (14:11)/June 3 (14:15)

Source: http://www.informationszentrum-hausamse ... 4266000041

:wave: :offtobed:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

alice44 wrote: I was thinking that doing sums (calculations) in base (approximately) 30 (days in a month), is exceptionally difficult.
I have just counted days on the calendar.
First egg on 7th May
2nd Egg on 10th May,
Therefore, 35 days from 7th May takes us to 11 June
42 days to 18 June.

Suppose there is a third egg???
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

maertha wrote: Maybe other ospreys are more useful than fingers :mrgreen:

Egg laying and hatching dates, osprey nest Schlaitz (Saxony-Anhalt), Germany

Egg laying dates: April 17/20/23, hatching May 25/26/29
Egg laying dates/eggs noticed in the nest: April 23 (8:38)/26 (about 7:50)/29, hatching June 1 about 6:30 (two eggs were stolen by a marten)
Egg laying dates/eggs noticed in the nest: April 21 (about 8:05)/24 (about 9:10) /27 (about 8:10), hatching May 30 (20:58)/31 (14:11)/June 3 (14:15)

Source: http://www.informationszentrum-hausamse ... 4266000041

:wave: :offtobed:
Thank you Maertha. Useful data.

In that nest in 2009, incubation was for 38 days from the date of the first egg
In 2010 it was 39 days from first egg
In 2011 (?) it was 39 days from first egg.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Another thought - maybe it is not correct to say that "incubation" happens from the moment the first egg is laid. Adult birds tend to let the early eggs remain rather cool until they have produced all the eggs that they want for that year, then incubation starts in earnest and is an almost 24 hour situation. As we haven't seen an osprey nest before now on this forum (has anyone here?) we don't really know what to expect.

Loooking at Maertha's dates in her post above, it seems that the general tendency is to arrange for chicks to hatch within the shortest time.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Jo UK wrote:Another thought - maybe it is not correct to say that "incubation" happens from the moment the first egg is laid. Adult birds tend to let the early eggs remain rather cool until they have produced all the eggs that they want for that year, then incubation starts in earnest and is an almost 24 hour situation. As we haven't seen an osprey nest before now on this forum (has anyone here?) we don't really know what to expect.

Loooking at Maertha's dates in her post above, it seems that the general tendency is to arrange for chicks to hatch within the shortest time.
I have been thinking this is a reason not to worry about the eggs being left alone for what feels to us to be a long time.
scylla

Post by scylla »

Jo UK wrote:Another thought - maybe it is not correct to say that "incubation" happens from the moment the first egg is laid. Adult birds tend to let the early eggs remain rather cool until they have produced all the eggs that they want for that year, then incubation starts in earnest and is an almost 24 hour situation. As we haven't seen an osprey nest before now on this forum (has anyone here?) we don't really know what to expect.
Ospreys incubate the eggs from Day1, so that the chicks hatch a few days apart, in line with the laying of the eggs (though it's not exact of course: some eggs may hatch in 35 days, others 37, it varies).

Owls do the same - barn owls often lay 6-7 eggs and one that I am watching at the moment has eggs laid over a period of 3-4 weeks, so the youngest will be tiny compared to the No1, and will be vulnerable to being eaten :cry: It's to do with survival of the fittest in difficult times.

I recently read about Canada geese - they wait until all their eggs are laid before incubating - then all the goslings hatch at about the same time and can toddle-waddle after Mama down to the water :D I expect most geese and ducks are the same.

I am not an expert but I followed the Loch Garten osprey family very closely last season - and if I know something I have to share it! :blush:

Oh! and by the way - I just read something about bark (like Madis brought in yesterday) being good for bug-infested nests. It was very vague, I will ask about it and let you know when I find out :thumbs:

I think it's Piret on the nest at the moment, looking around, very alert.
jopie

Post by jopie »

Mutikluti, I have to steal a picture from you, but you are used to that, aren't you? :laugh:
Liis

Post by Liis »

Jo, you have a point there - when does incubation and maybe more precisely ”full incubation” start?
There is quite likely a difference between sitting on the eggs, for protecting and keeping them reasonably warm, and incubating them.
Our buzzards leave their first egg alone for quite long periods. Piret and Madis seem to air and cool? theirs quite often.

Some time ago I checked briefly on Internet for data on variations in egg-laying, hatching etc dates. There are several osprey cameras around. Ospreys are almost unanimously stated to begin incubating from egg 1. However, I haven’t seen any firm references to an actual study, and Internet is well known for its predilection for handed-over / ”borrowed” information pieces.

So: egg-laying time, and when the birds start ”sitting on” the eggs is easy to see. When proper incubation conditions begin (and what they are – temperature, ”sitting periods” etc) is maybe a little more difficult, even with nest cameras.
Another question: are eggs absolutely alike? That is, there may be an individual variation in incubation time needed even when incubation starts at the same time. It has generally simply been assumed that Egg 1 in laying is the one to hatch first ...
Liis

Post by Liis »

Congratulations to Piret (and Madis)!

About other osprey webcams, see http://www.viewbirds.com/#osprey
41 entries for ospreys, although not only live web cameras listed. Some more about the site in post at "Other webcams" topic.

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”