Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by alice44 »

:wave:
Since you caught it I can go to bed without safely saving my image

:offtobed: for real now
Kapa

Post by Kapa »

Nitram,
what makes you think Nori is not healthy?
nitram

Post by nitram »

will not fly^^
Kapa

Post by Kapa »

No, Nitram, she/he just didn't fly yet.
That does not mean she/he won't fly at all.
Probably tomorrow or Monday at latest.
Hikkaus

Post by Hikkaus »

Did anyone see Uno lately?
Joem13

Post by Joem13 »

Kapa wrote:Nitram,
what makes you think Nori is not healthy?
Kapa, sometimes i am worried too, of course Nori will fly, he is a bird and the birds just fly, it can't be other way.

But if you compare his behaviour this days with their siblings, they were the 4 o 5 days before they fledge always jumping, training wings, walking or lifting up the nest, but Nori is just laying hours and hours, like if he wasn't healthy at all. And repeat, he will fly because all birds do, there are not another possibility than fly.
Always watching the skies...
nitram

Post by nitram »

ok I'm waiting :headroll:
Baltar

Post by Baltar »

nitram wrote:Nori is healthy?

mhhh ist Nori gesund oder warum will sie/er nicht fliegen? Ich mache mir langsam Sorgen :(

Nori does very well, nitram. She's eating much fish and does her daily wing and jump exercises (like Uno & Elo before). Nori is absolutely in the normal timeframe for her first flight (see my signature), also you must take into account the bad weather in the last days. According to her jumps in the nest this morning she is ready to fly. I guess she will fly tomorrow in the morning. :)

Joem13 wrote: But if you compare his behaviour this days with their siblings, they were the 4 o 5 days before they fledge always jumping, training wings, walking or lifting up the nest, but Nori is just laying hours and hours, like if he wasn't healthy at all.
Sorry Joem, that's not true. Nori had serveral phases with wing/jump exercises right in the dawn and morning. I dont see that she is more "inactive" than Uno & Elo. The other birds had their phases of activity and inactivity, too. May be this is caused by selective perception because of the fact that only one bird is now in the nest? Especially in the morning Nori did her (extensive) plumage cleaning, looked from the edge of the nest to the world, did her wing exercises, eat that big fish, etc. That's pretty normal.
What do you hear? Nothing but the rain.
asteria

Post by asteria »

NORI: "Tomorrow, tomorrow, not today!"
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
coffeecat

Post by coffeecat »

and nori is the in german called "nesthäkchen". she is a little bit younger than her siblings.
she needs a little more time to grow up.
Carma

Post by Carma »

Priscillash18 wrote:http://youtu.be/5NhSWBOw-Zk S7 caring around a big stick lol,so ready to fledge :wave: all
Loved this video! There is much intention and thought in placing this big branch :loveshower:
asteria

Post by asteria »

coffeecat wrote:and nori is the in german called "nesthäkchen". she is a little bit younger than her siblings.
Like Neli last year. :mrgreen:
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
Baltar

Post by Baltar »

coffeecat wrote:and nori is the in german called "nesthäkchen". she is a little bit younger than her siblings.
That's right, it's often not easy being the "runt" in a nest, see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t-n5bUG-OM ("ESTLAT Osprey Nest - Biggest chick attacks Nori 07.07.2012. 5:07")
What do you hear? Nothing but the rain.
Helmut

Post by Helmut »

I think, there are no doubts that Nori 1st flight is overdue. Everyone is in sorrow on this, the onlyone who is not in sorrow, seems to be Nori itsself.
Yesterday she got shouted down very intensively by her siblings, but Nori does'nt care on it.
For Nori life is ok, free punctional meal service, sleeping, sun bathing a.s.o. I guess, in short time Nori will ask for a mini bar and a TV set.

In place of the parents, I would give her an initial kick.

Helmut
coffeecat

Post by coffeecat »

Helmut wrote: For Nori life is ok, free punctional meal service, sleeping, sun bathing a.s.o. I guess, in short time Nori will ask for a mini bar and a TV set.
:rotf:
hi helmut, welcome!
maroni

Post by maroni »

Hi!
I think, Nori got fish enough for the next 2 days ... :slap:
So she would be a couch potato!
She is the baby of the family :loveshower: !
Kapa

Post by Kapa »

Baltar,
I agree with you. Right now it would be much too early to postulate something would be wrong.
In my posts here you can find the exact dates (well transfered to your signature 8-) ) and also a comparison about the development of the three chicks:
http://looduskalender.ee/forum/viewtopi ... 01#p162601
http://looduskalender.ee/forum/viewtopi ... 78#p163978

The breeding phase for Nori took as long as for Elo and it was 1 day shorter than for Uno.
So the phase after hatching and before fledging is longer compared to her siblings. One day longer than Unos, two days longer than Elos. But compared to the whole development from the egg on today would be the day.

Give or take one or two days shouldn't be alarming. And there are (in my mind) some good reasons for that. First of all I think he often got short in fish when his older and stronger siblings were quicker at Mummy's and Daddy's beak.
Also the weather was not ideal for 2-3 days. Clear weather and good winds animated Elo and Uno to do exercises and finally take off for their maiden flight.

I am no expert in this and I did not have too many time to watch them.
So please correct if these conclusions are wrong.
coffeecat

Post by coffeecat »

maroni wrote: So she would be a couch potato!
nice prospects for nori. :rotf:
coffeecat

Post by coffeecat »

nori looks strong and healthy. she made a lot of exercises.
ich think, sie only needs a little more courage. the nest seems so high.
Alex germany

Post by Alex germany »

Hello

Nice forum here. I'm watching Nori, Elo, Uno and their parents for some weeks and just found this forum. It's not really a typical hobby of mine to watch nature and birds but this ospreys are really fascinating. I think i spend more time to observe animal webcams in the future.

Here is a funny screenshot i took from Nori on 9th august - A rainy day:

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”