DISCUSSION ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

woopy

Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by woopy »

Hallo folks - here is a link to a well used fishing pond - I think this has been posted before but better safe than sorry.

http://www.saaksisaatio.fi/en/ospreycen ... webcam.htm

Probably not so much now but at the height of feeding youngsters etc this pond is well used.
wega07

Post by wega07 »

@Urmas: Thank you for the very interesting information.

I wish all the best to travel on the Piret :wave:

I ask one student to all forums: how do I make pictures of the webcam.

Thanks for your help
alice44

Post by alice44 »

wega07 wrote:@Urmas: Thank you for the very interesting information.

I wish all the best to travel on the Piret :wave:

I ask one student to all forums: how do I make pictures of the webcam.

Thanks for your help
---
I would send you to the technical thread but I am not sure how up to date it is -- as the players have changed, the problems have changed

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=60

first you need to save an image to your computer
with print screen or some other capture program
then you may need to trim away the non-cam parts (this can also be done in photobucket)
or if you use vlc you just click snap (and there might be information on that in the thread)

second
you need to save the image on a web host something like Photobucket or.... many countries have their own versions and most are free

and then to post here you chose the img form or a direct link and put in img brackets by clicking the img tab on the message editing screen here
wega07

Post by wega07 »

alice44 wrote: ---
I would send you to the technical thread but I am not sure how up to date it is -- as the players have changed, the problems have changed

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=60

first you need to save an image to your computer
with print screen or some other capture program
then you may need to trim away the non-cam parts (this can also be done in photobucket)
or if you use vlc you just click snap (and there might be information on that in the thread)

second
you need to save the image on a web host something like Photobucket or.... many countries have their own versions and most are free

and then to post here you chose the img form or a direct link and put in img brackets by clicking the img tab on the message editing screen here
Thanks for the help. I will try the tips very much.

Very best wishes to you to Oregon :wave:
julanoschi

Post by julanoschi »

Starling wrote::hi:
I think it´s this one: http://saaksisaatio.fi/saaksikeskus/saa ... webcam.htm

And there is an own section here in Looduskalender, "Ospreys and Eagles in Finland 2012": viewtopic.php?f=26&t=378
thx for the link. I've been just watching an osprey by fishing...

meierlein

Post by meierlein »

julanoschi wrote: thx for the link. I've been just watching an osprey by fishing...

:peek:

good shot :2thumbsup:

lots of fishes are jumping
and on the left side on the grass, there are several animals walking -
I cannot see, if that are Ospreys or Ducks

edit: now the Ducks are in the water ^^

:wave:
Baltar

Post by Baltar »

Urmas wrote: Think they will soon also fight for the delivered prey, what could be not nice to watch, but thats the nature.
I noticed this in the behavior of the last 2 weeks. The chicks are looking more hungry than ever; often Madis cannot land in the nest withouth one juvenile is taking the fish immediately from his talon... and the "fish stealing" thing is not a single case; I saw this several times in the last 2 weeks. I have noticed that even Nori is more aggressive in demanding fish and defending the fish.

So I think you are right. Only the high amount of fishes each day can prevent this fighting.

Urmas, are they any bird watcher in the near of the nest and ponds? It would be fine if we could get a message when the juvenile start to fish and to know what they do the whole day out of their nest.

Sorry for long message, but not always I can join here!
I really enjoy your messages, you are welcome!
What do you hear? Nothing but the rain.
coffeecat

Post by coffeecat »

urmas - thank you so much for your informations.
you are the most important connector to "our" ospreys.
there is a lot to learn about these fascinating birds.

and thanks for piret's flight route. my heart will go with her.
Cara

Post by Cara »

Since hours Elo "comes and goes" awaiting a fish delivery.....
Uno arrived at nest for a short moment, too.
..... and if there's no Elo in the nest yelling, she and Uno can be heard nearby the nest and also in the distance ..... yelling and yelling .....

..... during all that once again a small cute "intruder" visited the nest.....

“Animals have done us no harm and they have no power of resistance.…There is something so very dreadful…in tormenting those who have never harmed us, who cannot defend themselves, who are utterly in our power.” (~ Cardinal John Henry Newman ~)
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

PIRET on Tour ^^

Maxie4Paws

Post by Maxie4Paws »

just came from nest only 1 chck there.It was very quiet in the forest. has anyone seen all 3 chick today? :bounce:
fraszka

Post by fraszka »

Eden wrote:I wonder who had actually the ridiculous idea to describe man as “creation’s crowning glory”?There are so many animals who are not only in their abilities but also in their morals, reliability, honesty etc. etc. far superior to the people – but that is acc. to Fontane a far too wide field.
"The holy men of the Church" :faint:
to comfort the imperfect god's creation :mrgreen:
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

btw -
that pinky colour for PIRET is to light -
in the normal Map you cannot see the Route so clear like in this one :unsure:

why ERIKA did not start her Migration?

Cara

Post by Cara »

Urmas wrote:Here is the link to Pirets yesterday trip, what terminated (for probably stop over) in Dnepr River mouth, probably rich of fish area.
http://goo.gl/maps/6lGwn

I thought about to bind different days in one link, but did not succeed, yet.
The final aim is, nevertheless, to insert new type transmitters data into migration map. But it takes some time to solve data transfer problems.

Why females leave so early?
During the evolution (within millions of years) they are developed as nest protectors, who need to be always near the nest. That gave best result for fledged juveniles number. Therefore its better if they have no instinct to catch the prey for more as themselves - its too difficult to time the change of that behaviour, better avoid at all. And as you see, Madis is well managing with feeding of juveniles. But in near future he should start to avoid full service, because other ways the juveniles do not need to search food by themselves... probably they will fly once with Madis to the foraging grounds and then next instincts follow them to fish. For sure not every juvenile manages to survive in that stadium of life cycle, but our ones seem to be quite well and hopefully go through that first "bottle neck".
Think they will soon also fight for the delivered prey, what could be not nice to watch, but thats the nature.
Only possibility to know about juveniles movements, its using of transmitters on them, but as we learned - that needs to be well argumented for public. Also some of juveniles probably do not survive, so it turns always against transmitters used, because we have no chance to compare (what might be happen without of tag)...

If next year we all together decide to use transmitters, then it would be technically possible. As no funds for this I see, it can be only based on donations...
Sorry for long message, but not always I can join here!

Hello Urmas,
I can't notice a long message, I only can notice a very useful and informing message! :D
We love and need your messages and informations!
Thank you very much! :-)
“Animals have done us no harm and they have no power of resistance.…There is something so very dreadful…in tormenting those who have never harmed us, who cannot defend themselves, who are utterly in our power.” (~ Cardinal John Henry Newman ~)
gitana

Post by gitana »

Thank a million, Urmas!

I was away just for a few days and I see that Piret has reached the Black sea already! Didn't realize that birds were flying so fast. I thought they stop for a few days to take a rest etc. So Piret did almost a half of her way, am I right?
Cara

Post by Cara »

Maxie4Paws wrote:just came from nest only 1 chck there.It was very quiet in the forest. has anyone seen all 3 chick today? :bounce:

The whole morning until now there's a "come and go" for Elo, awaiting fish.
Also Uno came into the nest several times. Nori visited the nest 2 or 3 times around 45 minutes ago.
Only a few minutes ago, Uno was alone in nest. Elo landed in the nest, too, and then she "kicked out" Uno.
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

gitana wrote:Thank a million, Urmas!

I was away just for a few days and I see that Piret has reached the Black sea already! Didn't realize that birds were flying so fast. I thought they stop for a few days to take a rest etc. So Piret did almost a half of her way, am I right?

Who knows?

PIRET had no Transmitter before she came to Estonia ^^
even she was not ringed before

Starman

Post by Starman »

Hello @all,
I am watching the cam since second half of June, a few days after our little Nori hatched but registered only today for the forum. I would like to thank all the people who are putting so much effort to save our nature for the next generations.
Meanwhile my whole family is watching the osprey cam including my 6 year old son and my mother. Lets hope the best for the migration of our beloved osprey family and maybe we will se one of the “kids” again in a few years. I am so happy that all three of them made it – of course nature can be very hard and probably not all of the will survive the first year, but lets keep our finger crossed for them. They are all three so beautiful.
Starman

@ ranger: I think Elo is on diet today. Only two fishes delivered by daddy. Nori took first, Uno the second one.
Cara

Post by Cara »

Ranger wrote:Hi all,
Has little Elo been fed today?
Colleen

Hi Ranger (Colleen),
I visit the cam since about 7 hours (sound on loudly - so even if I am not at monitor I can HEAR what's going on). All that past 7 hours there was NO fish delivery and it looks like NO food for Elo, Nori and Uno the past 7 hours..... at least no food in the nest..... :-(
Elo seems to be VERY hungry!
Ranger

Post by Ranger »

@ Starman and @ Cara,
Thanks for the updates. Poor little Elo; he/she just looks so alone and dejected - and ... soooo hungry.
Colleen

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”