DISCUSSION ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

Mulmert

Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by Mulmert »

I think that its more that they are hungry...
Now it seems that Madis has cut down on food supply (to make the more interested to try to fish for themself). When they are hungry they return to the nest, because that is where they are used to be fed.
I dont think they are thinking in terms of comfort and family as we humans do.
Celeste wrote:After the first crazy flights they seem to spend more time in the nest recently. I think they can feel the BIG CHANGE coming soon. Mum is gone, Dad is busy fishing - nobody to comfort them anymore.
They want to cherish this peaceful "at home" feeling as long as they can before they leave the Family and the Nest forever.
:unsure:
gitana

Post by gitana »

meierlein wrote:
:peek:

Who knows?

PIRET had no Transmitter before she came to Estonia ^^
even she was not ringed before

:wave:
Thanks, meierlein. I was thinking about Sudan... OK, lets wait and we'll see. Wondering if she is flying with some other ospreys or on her own? Hm... Unbelievable how these birds know direction, specially the young ones...
Starman

Post by Starman »

Celeste wrote:After the first crazy flights they seem to spend more time in the nest recently. I think they can feel the BIG CHANGE coming soon. Mum is gone, Dad is busy fishing - nobody to comfort them anymore.
They want to cherish this peaceful "at home" feeling as long as they can before they leave the Family and the Nest forever.
:unsure:
well I think there is another reason for this behaviour. Usually the babies are getting their fish in the nest. Therefore they come along when they are hungry. In the beginning Madis did a sort of full supply. So the chicks came to the nest, ate and flew somewhere else. Now Madis is reducing the amount of fish delivered, so the chicks stay in the nest waiting for fish to come because they are hungry. You could see it as well today in the morning: Uno and Nori got today in the morning one fish each and they were not seen until midday at the nest anymore while Elo was quite regular visiting the nest and waiting for fish there.
It will be intersting to see if Madis will bring today a fish for dinner. Usually at that time he delivered so fishes. After Dinner the chicks left the nest for the night. I might be wrong but in the last days at that time the nest was already empty. Maybe the chicks are learning a new lesson: fish is not flying to the nest.
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

Mulmert wrote:I think that its more that they are hungry...
Now it seems that Madis has cut down on food supply (to make the more interested to try to fish for themself). When they are hungry they return to the nest, because that is where they are used to be fed.
I dont think they are thinking in terms of comfort and family as we humans do.
They don't. But we DO :D
nirtak

Post by nirtak »

Starman wrote:Maybe the chicks are learning a new lesson: fish is not flying to the nest.
You are so right!
Dadel

Post by Dadel »

Elo becomes mean today. He attaqued Nori once again. :shock: :puzzled:
A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
Dadel

Post by Dadel »

It is sad to see they are so hungry. I hope they will fly with Madis to the fishwaters and learn soon to fish. :cry:
A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
nirtak

Post by nirtak »

Dadel wrote:It is sad to see they are so hungry. I hope they will fly with Madis to the fishwaters and learn soon to fish. :cry:
I hope this too... we will see.
gjuselover

Post by gjuselover »

Yes it must be this way..if they are not hungry they never learns to fishhunt..hungry wolves are the best hunters it sais..
That fishskin seems to be dangerous to swallow,, maybe its something else unmealtable..scuse bad english..Sorry I thought uno was number 9, the only one I am certain of is Nori..nr 7..
Remember the pic where three, Madis Elo Nd Uno sat so thin and anxious (afraid) when they saw Nori coming in for landing.. :shock: :laugh:
tikanpoika

Post by tikanpoika »

Hi everybody,
have been away for a long time and now I am soooo happy to see that the birds are still here with us :headroll:
For Piret ,good and safe journey, hopefully she will make it and we shall meet her again next spring.
Iam gonna be here in this website for sure, waiting and holding my breath :hi:

Thank you all ! :wave:
snApe1118

Post by snApe1118 »

From the first moment I saw I fell in love with Madis and Piret and also the youngsters Uno, Elo and Nori. :loveshower:

I will never forget this weeks/months.

That's why I made ​​this video:

https://vimeo.com/47880398

Hope you like it
Nori S7, Uno S8, Elo S9
Piret S0 and the father Madis

For this fantastic family: https://vimeo.com/47880398

My Vimeo Channel
click: Stephis Video

As long as humans thinks, that animals can not feel, animals must feel, that humans can not think.
Moana

Post by Moana »

Thank you so much!!

I am really moved...still having tears in my eyes!!!!
Cara

Post by Cara »

Nori and Elo in the nest at afternoon. While Elo was in the nest nearly the whole day - awaiting a fish delivery - (with some short breaks for some seconds or minutes) and looked very desperate, distressed and sometimes annoyed by waiting and waiting, Nori looked very "relaxed".....

While Elo took again a short break from waiting, Uno arrived ..... Elo back in the nest only a few minutes later .....

Then Elo decided that waiting alone without any sibling would be the better opportunity to get the fish in case of a delivery.....

Elo got rid of Uno successfully.....

“Animals have done us no harm and they have no power of resistance.…There is something so very dreadful…in tormenting those who have never harmed us, who cannot defend themselves, who are utterly in our power.” (~ Cardinal John Henry Newman ~)
ivj

Post by ivj »

Thanks a lot for the information and links (esp. meierlein). That's very kind of you :loveshower:
julanoschi

Post by julanoschi »

snApe1118 wrote:From the first moment I saw I fell in love with Madis and Piret and also the youngsters Uno, Elo and Nori. :loveshower:

Hope you like it
thank you very much, it's so nice :loveshower:
mikke

Post by mikke »

Teary eyed here too!

I cannot thank enough the hard working wildlife and technical people who made this internet miracle possible. This is without question the best "TV" I have ever seen. It has also been very affirming to know so many people care about these small wild beings. Also, I have watched ospreys since very young. I had no idea they were such engaging birds! I saw them as beautiful, wonderful raptors...but now I see them as charming.

The first time I went to the nest and it was empty, I had a physical sensation like a thud. Genuine empty-nest syndrome! (For those of you who don't have that English idiom, it refers to the sad feeling human parents get when their children move along in life.)

We have watched this nest more than daily since around April 20. We have lost amazing amounts of sleep at certain times.

We are awed by what a devoted father Madis is, awed by brave Piret's voyages on her Linnutee, her bird-path in the sky, and awed by the strength, vulnerability, and beauty of the fledglings. Last night I offered a word to Väinämöinen/Vanimuine, asking that he help Madis lead the youngsters to find their own Big Fishes. But another forum poster put it well: hungry wolves are the best hunters.

The osprey are beginning to migrate in my part of the world--the Puget Sound, NW US. Today there was one rising on a thermal overhead, early in the morning, whistling excitedly. I figured s/he had fished on our local tidal flats, then was using the morning sun's rising air to carry her up.

Thank you all, and may your warmth for these feather folk continue to enrich your life. I look forward to hearing from Urmas and others how we can support the project directly.
ivj

Post by ivj »

Urmas wrote:
Why females leave so early?
During the evolution (within millions of years) they are developed as nest protectors, who need to be always near the nest. That gave best result for fledged juveniles number. Therefore its better if they have no instinct to catch the prey for more as themselves - its too difficult to time the change of that behaviour, better avoid at all. And as you see, Madis is well managing with feeding of juveniles. But in near future he should start to avoid full service, because other ways the juveniles do not need to search food by themselves... probably they will fly once with Madis to the foraging grounds and then next instincts follow them to fish. For sure not every juvenile manages to survive in that stadium of life cycle, but our ones seem to be quite well and hopefully go through that first "bottle neck".
Think they will soon also fight for the delivered prey, what could be not nice to watch, but thats the nature.
Only possibility to know about juveniles movements, its using of transmitters on them, but as we learned - that needs to be well argumented for public. Also some of juveniles probably do not survive, so it turns always against transmitters used, because we have no chance to compare (what might be happen without of tag)...

If next year we all together decide to use transmitters, then it would be technically possible. As no funds for this I see, it can be only based on donations...
Sorry for long message, but not always I can join here!
Thank you very much!
jacinta

Post by jacinta »

snApe1118 wrote:From the first moment I saw I fell in love with Madis and Piret and also the youngsters Uno, Elo and Nori. :loveshower:

Hope you like it

I love this birds
sweet and fastacti video....thanks........... it is so beatiful ............................... :loveshower:

Madis & Piret

Chesapeake

Post by Chesapeake »

mikke wrote:Teary eyed here too!

I cannot thank enough the hard working wildlife and technical people who made this internet miracle possible. This is without question the best "TV" I have ever seen. It has also been very affirming to know so many people care about these small wild beings. Also, I have watched ospreys since very young. I had no idea they were such engaging birds! I saw them as beautiful, wonderful raptors...but now I see them as charming.

The first time I went to the nest and it was empty, I had a physical sensation like a thud. Genuine empty-nest syndrome! (For those of you who don't have that English idiom, it refers to the sad feeling human parents get when their children move along in life.)

We have watched this nest more than daily since around April 20. We have lost amazing amounts of sleep at certain times.

We are awed by what a devoted father Madis is, awed by brave Piret's voyages on her Linnutee, her bird-path in the sky, and awed by the strength, vulnerability, and beauty of the fledglings. Last night I offered a word to Väinämöinen/Vanimuine, asking that he help Madis lead the youngsters to find their own Big Fishes. But another forum poster put it well: hungry wolves are the best hunters.

The osprey are beginning to migrate in my part of the world--the Puget Sound, NW US. Today there was one rising on a thermal overhead, early in the morning, whistling excitedly. I figured s/he had fished on our local tidal flats, then was using the morning sun's rising air to carry her up.

Thank you all, and may your warmth for these feather folk continue to enrich your life. I look forward to hearing from Urmas and others how we can support the project directly.
Agree, this has been a wonderful experience and thank you for the beautiful video. I have tears in my eyes too. It has been wonderful to have an international discussion with no ranting! And a collection of bird-lovers from all over the world.
Kapa

Post by Kapa »

Urmas,
I also enjoy your informative posts.
Thanks!

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”