DISCUSSION ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

Kapa

Re: Osprey-related Discussion.

Post by Kapa »

Willy,
thanks for your unagitated post.
I think you got the point and your example of the fishes is a very good one. How can user clap anytime a new fish is brought to the nest and on the other hand wish to shoot another bird of prey when it is making a killing itself ? (the shooting was actually suggested somewhere here in the forum, sorry when I do not recall where)
will(y) wrote:For me as an osprey-amateur with a negligible knowledge about this birds it wasn't a nice image to see Piret with that technical device on her back, and I asked myself if that must have been.
But I would never be questioning the actions of Urmas and his colleagues, because they are real experts and I know nearly nothing about ospreys, marking birds or the advantage of being able to track the migration-routes.
Dito.
And one side-effect of this work is, that we can be so close to watch these astonishing birds while breeding and the chicks becoming fully fledged. Thanks a lot for this opportunity!
Kapa
Tonia

Post by Tonia »

beans wrote:
Perhaps it's similar to Raven Fever, for which there is no cure, either...
Sounds dangerous ;) I like crows, there are many of this black fellows here and they are so clever!
Kapa

Post by Kapa »

I have some questions to the experts:
- are the Estonian ospreys remaining in the breeding ground? That is: do they always come back to that area in spring or are they "opportunists" staying wherever opportunity arises?
- do the siblings recognize each other and will there be a rising rivalry or do they spread soon?
- will they fly to the hibernation areas on their own (just by instinct) or do they follow others?
Greetings,
Kapa
Kuremari

Post by Kuremari »

Willy, i agree with you 100%!
Been there and felt that ... these feelings, they are quite normal but we have to leave some space for common sense.
Being too emotional or hysterical doesn't lead anywhere.
i appreciate the devoted work of Kotkaklubi and Urmas. Without them and their work, there would be no cameras to watch or argue to whom the ospreys, storks or eagles belong.
Thank you for your sensible post! :)
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
aita

Post by aita »

meierlein wrote:
today I also read about 7 pages and was wondering about the funny posts -
in the beginning the nest had been frequented by 3 or four different birds, but the user already decided to name a couple PIRET and MADIS :slap: and didnt notice, that there are more than two birds fighting for the nest :shock:

I wonder, on what date they will find out, who is the male and who is the right female :whistling:

:wave:
Hm?!
Right female laid an egg. You are right there was funny posts and i miss this time forum feeling.
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

I also agree with will(y)'s last post (and hello long-time-not-seen Kuremari!!!)

After watching a full season of osprey life here, I cringe every time I see a living fish being ripped up and eaten - but that is what osprey do. It is not for us to judge Nature, but to learn as much as we can, even if the lessons are very painful - I believe those lessons lead to a greater appreciation and respect for all life.
Cara

Post by Cara »

Kukelke wrote: Already yesterday and the day before Nori made some of those 'flap-jumps' across the nest. And earlier today Nori was flapping a lot for some time. Also, Nori has been much more on the rim of the nest today as usual, and spread his wings, looked in the distance, measured and followed Elo's and Uno's flights closely. Bit of the same behaviour as both Uno and Elo showed the day before they fledged.

But maybe he'll let us wait till friday, not because he isn't capable, but because he has eaten too much and is too heavy to lift off, and too much nurtured by Madis, who even fed him today.

If I were Nori I would stay very close to the steadily refilled fridge and cupboard, and let the flying wait :mrgreen:

Hello Kukelke,
my comment is not related only to THIS posting - it's to ALL of your postings:
I LOVE your comments!!!!! Mostly they are what are my observations, thinking and position, too - and also they are informing and knowledgeable! [..... and funny (and maybe true) in this case ;-) .....]
Right on! * Keep it up! :thumbs:
Greetings to the Netherlands :wave:

And thanks to everyone here for keeping me/us updated with comments, pictures and videos!
“Animals have done us no harm and they have no power of resistance.…There is something so very dreadful…in tormenting those who have never harmed us, who cannot defend themselves, who are utterly in our power.” (~ Cardinal John Henry Newman ~)
Millie

Post by Millie »

Hi UK Jo. I pesume that the sex of the young osprey is determined by checking the genitals. But if you check any of the Osprey sites such as Loch Garten, Loch of The Lowes, or Dyfi you will see that all chicks have there gender identified when they are rung, and they are all rung at around the same age as Uno Elo and Nori which is prior to their fledging, as it would not be possible after they fledged for obvious reasons. Hope this helps.
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

:wave:

Will just say thanks for all posts, pictures and also thanks very much for the moving videos of Madis´ feeding of Nori and Pirets visit at nest today.

have a nice watch
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

Kapa wrote:I have some questions to the experts:
- are the Estonian ospreys remaining in the breeding ground? That is: do they always come back to that area in spring or are they "opportunists" staying wherever opportunity arises?
- do the siblings recognize each other and will there be a rising rivalry or do they spread soon?
- will they fly to the hibernation areas on their own (just by instinct) or do they follow others?
Greetings,
Kapa
To answer your questions as far and as good as I can:

- Ospreys usually mate for life, but polyandry has been recorded. Only if a partner dies they will find a new mate. Ospreys are also very attached to their nest. So normally Madis and Piret will return to this nest next year.
For juveniles it's somewhat different. First of all, after they migrate south, they will not return next spring, but stay in Africa next summer. Spring 2014 however, they will return.
Male juveniles tend to return to the area where they were born, but when there are no vacant nests or nesting sites they will go look elsewhere and thus colonise or recolonise other areas (that's for example how Scotland became recolonised by Scandinavian ospreys in the 1950's after they died out in Scotland in the early 1930's)
Female juveniles are more flexible and more likely to stop on their way north wherever there's a vacant male with a vacant nest or nesting site.

- Right now the siblings recognise each other ofcourse and they 'talk' a lot among themselves. And I think they will recognise their siblings at least till they start to migrate. But I've no idea if they would recognise each other when they return in say 2 years and would meet each other.
From what I've read about other osprey nests there will be a fiercer competition among siblings for the fish delivered at the nest after they all have fledged. Has maybe also to do that just before they fledge they catch fish themselves sometimes, and I can imagine that this selfcaught prey is defended hard.
Here an example of such a fight about a fish between two fledglings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-UvnnygxSw

- Ospreys migrate individually and by instinct. From the British population is known that satellite tracked osprey siblings follow different routes, but somehow manage to make 'pit stops' at the very same spot, only at different days. On one occasion an osprey left a spot in the morning, and late afternoon the very same day his sibling landed on that very same spot to spend the night there.
I wonder where the members of our family will spend winter. Finnish ringed ospreys have been found as far south as South Africa, and a Norwegian ringed Osprey was found in western India, while other Norwegian ospreys migrated to West Africa.
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

Kukelke wrote:To answer your questions as far and as good as I can:

- Ospreys usually mate for life, but polyandry has been recorded. .....................West Africa.

:hi: Kulkelke
Also many and special thanks for all your informative posts!
It´s a joy to see what you find - always something to be wiser of.
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Jo UK wrote: Aah, good. It works on this page. On the other link macdoum gave it did not connect.
Yes, here is the right place for it.
Jo Maybe you need then to delete the other posts elsewhere. :puzzled:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Cydrome

Post by Cydrome »

The ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam has given my wife and I many hours of pleasure since we discovered it in May.

If donations are accepted, we'd be happy to support the work (PayPal button?).

If not, all we can offer is many thanks to the Estonian/Latvian organization that maintains it.
To a man, ornithologists are tall, slender, and bearded - so that they can stand motionless for hours, imitating kindly trees as they watch birds. - Gore Vidal
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Cydrome wrote:The ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam has given my wife and I many hours of pleasure since we discovered it in May.

If donations are accepted, we'd be happy to support the work (PayPal button?).

If not, all we can offer is many thanks to the Estonian/Latvian organization that maintains it.
http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/3058

At this link there is information about offering support, which I believe has a link for paypal donations.
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

alice44 wrote: http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/3058

At this link there is information about offering support, which I believe has a link for paypal donations.
Hello Cydrome, and thank you for you nice comments.

Looduskalender does have a PayPal Link, as alice posted, but at the moment, Kotkaklubi (which does the cams and field work) does not. It is possible to donate to them by wire transfer, tho - and we are hoping they will provide an easier way for us to show our support. If you would like the wire transfer information, please send a PM (= private message) to "Jo UK". many thanks!
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Elo is mad at that stick.
gala

Post by gala »

Wisteria wrote:Elo is mad at that stick.
Hilarious :rotf:
CaroleTM

Post by CaroleTM »

I have been watching this Osprey nest since they were young chicks. Beautiful birds. Wonderful cam. A joy to watch them growing into young birds. For the past few days I have noticed that the outward talon/toe on each foot of S7 Nori appears to be swollen. For a few days she seemed to by lying down more than standing. I still notice her holding the left foot up at times, not putting any weight on it. Has anyone else had the same observations? Would like to hear your thoughts. :unsure:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

NancyM wrote:I also agree with will(y)'s last post (and hello long-time-not-seen Kuremari!!!)

After watching a full season of osprey life here, I cringe every time I see a living fish being ripped up and eaten - but that is what osprey do. It is not for us to judge Nature, but to learn as much as we can, even if the lessons are very painful - I believe those lessons lead to a greater appreciation and respect for all life.
Here it is fish, at the other eagle cams it is moles, voles, birds, even weasels and other sometimes "cute" animals. I was thinking about this just the other day, when I read this:
Fish are not cold, dumb sea inhabitants with a glazed stare – a fish can smell of fresh cucumber or garden thyme, a fish can growl, shiver, peep or gurgle, a fish can have a “babe face“ or walk along the bottom.

If I understand one of the intentions of the transmitters, it is to find out how far fish farms near osprey nests are actually affected by the ospreys. People owning fish farms can be pretty nasty about their fish being eaten up by birds, be it ospreys, be it cormorants or other fish eaters. If experts like Urmas can say, we have taken a study about it and the osprey we watched has been at your pond only twice a day, while it was at the little lake nearby 15times ... the problem of such people shooting, poisoning or otherwise getting rid of unwanted guests will be also lessened! But one first needs to get the information, the numbers and statistics.
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
lispet

Post by lispet »

Hi CaroleTM, welcome to the forum! I have noticed that all ospreys rest their legs now and then by holding them up. Maybe others can tell more about your other observations.

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”