DISCUSSION ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

Maxiesma

Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by Maxiesma »

CaroleTM wrote:I have been watching this Osprey nest since they were young chicks. Beautiful birds. Wonderful cam. A joy to watch them growing into young birds. For the past few days I have noticed that the outward talon/toe on each foot of S7 Nori appears to be swollen. For a few days she seemed to by lying down more than standing. I still notice her holding the left foot up at times, not putting any weight on it. Has anyone else had the same observations? Would like to hear your thoughts. :unsure:

CaroleTM, I have noticed that also, especially today. Maybe the stick got her/him. Does seem to favor that foot.l
Kapa

Post by Kapa »

Maxiesma wrote: CaroleTM, I have noticed that also, especially today. Maybe the stick got her/him. Does seem to favor that foot.l
Hello CaroleTM and Maxiesma,
didn't the siblings do the exacly same thing shortly before fledging? I thaught I noticed them both standing on one leg 1-2 days before their first flight and I related that behaviour to the ongoing growth.
Greetings
Kapa

Post by Kapa »

Hello Kukelke,
I just read your answers to my questions and want to say a special and huge thank to You.
It is really informative an I enjoy learning new things, especially when so precise and complete.
Kapa
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

:peek:

tricky NORI
"look Mum - my right wing is also not large enough"

:mrgreen:
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

"Mum - I really cant fly now -
I am already seasick"
:cry:

:whistling:
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

Kapa wrote:Hello Kukelke,
I just read your answers to my questions and want to say a special and huge thank to You.
It is really informative an I enjoy learning new things, especially when so precise and complete.
Kapa
No problem. Your questions were also mine when I started to watch this osprey cam a few months ago, so I began digging up info on the internet and tried to absorb as much as I could. I'm no expert by any means, just someone who is very enthousiastic and enthralled by these wonderful creatures, and the answers I tried to give you were straight from my memory. I didn't bother to doublecheck them because it was late already and I was about to go to bed, so it could be that some things in my answers aren't as accurate as they should. In that case people should correct my answers ofcourse.

@ Cara and b.h-p - Thanks for your kind words. :)
Millie

Post by Millie »

Good morning/night all. I have a question, Are Osprey protected in Estonia? as they are in the UK. Here in the UK you have to have a special licence to handle eggs or chicks, and there is only one man (that I know of) who does all the ringing and tagging. His name is Roy Dennis and he has written books on the Osprey and Osprey conservation which contain a wealth of knowledge for anyone interested.
I think he has been involved in this work for about 50 yrs.
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

tricky NORI
"look Mum - I already tried to fly" :bounce: :chick:

:mrgreen:
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

Millie wrote:Good morning/night all. I have a question, Are Osprey protected in Estonia? as they are in the UK. Here in the UK you have to have a special licence to handle eggs or chicks, and there is only one man (that I know of) who does all the ringing and tagging. His name is Roy Dennis and he has written books on the Osprey and Osprey conservation which contain a wealth of knowledge for anyone interested.
I think he has been involved in this work for about 50 yrs.
Hello Millie. Yes Osprey are under first category protection in Estonia.
Here is the list:

http://bio.edu.ee/animals/Linnud/lilk.htm
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
alice44

Post by alice44 »

About the WTEs I remember reading that because the females are heavier they often fledge later. As Nori takes her time fledging. she encourages me to think of her as female.
Lunan

Post by Lunan »

alice44 wrote:About the WTEs I remember reading that because the females are heavier they often fledge later. As Nori takes her time fledging. she encourages me to think of her as female.
I also think Nori's female. But is she really late fledging yet? I think tomorrow she'll be the same age as her siblings were when they fledged.
If you would like to support the Eagle Club, the bank account details are:

KOTKAKLUBI (address if needed: Hauka kula, Valgjarve vald, 63406 Polvamaa)
IBAN: EE182200221040359778
BIC: HABAEE2X
Swedbank AS, 8 Liivalaia Street,15040 Tallinn, Estonia

If you like to donate some for specific action, please mention it when you make your donation.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Lunan wrote: I also think Nori's female. But is she really late fledging yet? I think tomorrow she'll be the same age as her siblings were when they fledged.
No I don't really think she is late -- as a non-flyer, I say she is being sensibly cautious. The wind is so fierce today if she stood up and flapped she might get blown away. But had Nori flown today, I might have thought maybe Nori is a male (and I don't even know if male Osprey's like male WTEs fly a few days younger than their sisters). (And, it is still possible Nori will fly once I go to bed.)

The downy feathers are cute dancing in the wind on the nest.

:offtobed:
:wave:
Millie

Post by Millie »

Thank you Juta for that information, and very pleased to hear it. Of course we still have people in this country who disregard these rules and shoot these wonderful birds or steal their eggs. That is why most sites have 24/7 observation during the breeding season. All volunteers like Urmas who do a wonderfull job.
Irene

Post by Irene »

Hello, everybody! :peek:

I've been watching the nest for more than a month already and really enjoy reading this forum. Actually I logged in a few weeks ago, and only today decided to write something at last. I've also become a kind of addicted to watching the nest and love the guys (Piret, Madis, Uno, Elo and little Nori :loveshower: )! The first thing I do in the morning is checking what is happening there! :laugh: It is a great honour for me to become a part of your friendly nature-loving community! I've learnt so many interesting facts about birds thanks to you and this forum, and some new English bird-related words! :D

I'm looking forward to learning about chicks' genders and especially to Nori's Big Day! :chick:
Yiki

Post by Yiki »

Thank you for your post, Willy. I agree 100%.

Jasmijntje and gitana, I didn't mean to accuse anybody of knowingly insulting another person on this forum. But since someone accused the moderators of "acting like gods", I was trying to express my support for them and the way they handled the situation. English is not my native language either, so it might have come accross differently from what I inteded. If that was the case, I apologize.

I'm glad that both of you returned to the community and I'm hoping against hope that one day, jopie will be back as well. :)

Back on topic though: I belive I read somewhere, that owners of fish farms are entitled to some kind of compensation if they lose a lot of fish to ospreys and other birds. Does anybody know how they determine whether they're eligible for compensation or not?
Maxie4Paws

Post by Maxie4Paws »

alice44 wrote: No I don't really think she is late -- as a non-flyer, I say she is being sensibly cautious. The wind is so fierce today if she stood up and flapped she might get blown away. But had Nori flown today, I might have thought maybe Nori is a male (and I don't even know if male Osprey's like male WTEs fly a few days younger than their sisters). (And, it is still possible Nori will fly once I go to bed.)

The downy feathers are cute dancing in the wind on the nest.

that is a good question as i was wondering that if she was just a late bloomer and was'nt ready to leave the nest yet.. they are just sooo pretty. :offtobed:

:offtobed:
:wave:
Kapa

Post by Kapa »

Hello Yiki,
Yiki wrote:I believe I read somewhere, that owners of fish farms are entitled to some kind of compensation if they lose a lot of fish to ospreys and other birds. Does anybody know how they determine whether they're eligible for compensation or not?
I think this is the post you are looking for:
Urmas wrote: Also we caught yesterday two Ospreys of one pair and tagged male, that's close to another fish farm - to understand, how much they fish in reality at fish ponds (we need to make calculations for to cover the "flying away" fish costs for farmer).
So I guess (not know!) that the transmitter data are evaluated and they allow to determine the number of fishes took by the ospreys. Maybe they estimate 1 fish per catch, so this should be a quite reliable information for negotiations by fish farmers and appropriate authorities.
Greetings,
Kapa
Maxie4Paws

Post by Maxie4Paws »

Morning/Everning everyone. i just came from watching them and its very very windy there. i hope the last one will be ok as i know that its not fleged yet and its very very very windy there. would NOT want anything to happen to this baby. :dunno: :dunno:
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

scarred NORI

"is anybody here to give me help
when I fly off the nest?"
:shock:

:chick:
asteria

Post by asteria »

meierlein wrote::peek:

scarred NORI

"is anybody here to give me help
when I fly off the nest?"
:shock:

:chick:
NORI is not scared, she is three days younger than Elo. Elo flew he day before yesterday, Nori will tomorrow.
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”