DISCUSSION ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

maertha

Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by maertha »

IKat wrote:Good morning everyone....looks as if the nestlings are enjoying a "food coma". All ate very well....
Welcome to the forum, IKat!
0hansen

Post by 0hansen »

Wet Wet Wet: 'Love is all around'
:D
maertha

Post by maertha »

Hello everyone, after the ringing of our ospreys I received a few questions. I had collected some other frequently asked osprey questions before and forwarded a little bunch now to Urmas. He kindly answered them yesterday.

Why did the adult birds not attack you during the ringing?
  • “The parent Ospreys in webcam nest are quite peaceful, female made couple close maneuvers, but thats all, she left to observe from other tree top. Male flew around all time with the fish in talons, but quite far. Only some of our Ospreys attack quite close, but fortunately no physical contacts, yet.”
We wonder which of the chicks is male and which female. Is it already possible to say this? Did you take samples during the ringing?
  • “The gender of chicks will be for sure determined in lab according DNA from feathers (rarely we fail with that, if DNA is damaged somehow), but by my first opinion is that S8 is male and S9 female, S7 can't say anything (it is not so well developed, but rather female?). I can mistake, of course. Just before fledging it is easier to say, if ring them in that stage.”
Everybody is curious about the place where the adults use to sit very often... We call it “upstairs”. Do the ospreys sit on the camera, or is there an artificial perch or something like this?
  • Soon to come: An article about the Osprey ringing on the LK main page, inclusive pictures of “upstairs”.
It would be interesting to know if ESTLAT has a kind of agreement with the owner of the fishpond. Does he get a compensation for the “osprey food” of this artificial nest?
  • “ESTLAT project has no any closer contact with fish farm Madis visits, but they can apply for compensation from the state (every fish farm "owning" or "serving" a food for a successful Osprey nest in vicinity has that possibility). They get a bit more compensation as Ospreys in reality take, so should be interested in general. We are quite happy that were once able to direct Ministry of Environment to prepare that regulation in this way, to diminish problems between fish farms and eagles (Ospreys and WtEs).”
Is there a possibility to support the “eagle men” from Kotkaklubi (Estonian Eagle Club)?
  • Urmas pointed to the here in the forum already mentioned possibility to make a donation for Looduskalender http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/3058

Looduskalender and Kotkaklubi (Estonian Eagle Club http://www.kotkas.ee/eagle-club) are different organisations. Hence it is possible to support the Eagle Club directly.

According to Urmas, the transfer will be simple in Europe. From America or from other parts of the world it could be better to use LK PayPal donation. PayPal is not yet available for Kotkaklubi.
    (A thought from me: In case you prefer to use PayPal you could note "Kotkaklubi" in the reference line if you want to support the work of the eagle club members directely.)

Currently donations will probably be used for fitting Ospreys and WtEs with transmitters. This makes it possible to “follow” the birds on their journeys.

Here is the Eagle Club banc acoount for donations

Kotkaklubi
IBAN: EE182200221040359778
SWEDBANK
SWIFT/BIC HABAEE2X

:wave:

Urmas, a member of the Eagle Club, at work (slide show)

Thanks to Urmas for taking the time to answer our questions!
Manu

Post by Manu »

@maertha: Thanks a lot for this interesting interview with Urmas and also tor the detail dates to support Kotkaklubi and their work :shake:
Bea

Post by Bea »

Thank you maertha and Urmas! I´m looking forward to the article on the main page and the photos :shake:
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Birdie

Post by Birdie »

Thank you very much maertha and Urmas for this interesting interview!
:2thumbsup:
Nori S7, Uno S8, Elo S9
maertha

Post by maertha »

@ Manu, Bea and Birdie: My pleasure! Have a good Sunday everyone! :wave:
aita

Post by aita »

Hello
Thank you very much maertha and Urmas for this interview.
I found a pontu picture.
3in1
http://pontu.eenet.ee/kalakotkas/2012-0 ... -05-12.jpg
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

Hi everyone :hi:

I have no sound on the camera :bash:
anyone else with the same problem?

Lunan

Post by Lunan »

No problem here. Train just passed, and I heard it. You haven't by mistake happen to click on the small speaker in the right part of the menue list in the bottom of the cam picture (you see the list when you put the arrow on the picture.) There you can either adjust sound level och even mute it completely.
If you would like to support the Eagle Club, the bank account details are:

KOTKAKLUBI (address if needed: Hauka kula, Valgjarve vald, 63406 Polvamaa)
IBAN: EE182200221040359778
BIC: HABAEE2X
Swedbank AS, 8 Liivalaia Street,15040 Tallinn, Estonia

If you like to donate some for specific action, please mention it when you make your donation.
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

Thank you so much - :loveshower:
I just found out, that my grandson played at the PC during watching the birds -
I wondered, because YouTube etc. had 100% sound -

jopie

Post by jopie »

maertha wrote: Thanks to Urmas for taking the time to answer our questions!
Thanks urmas for answering our questions and Maertha for asking them on behalf of us :D
jopie

Post by jopie »

C.LynnDunn wrote:Hello all! I thought I would share with you this youtube of our Decorah Bald eagles. We had 3 eaglets, this video is of Mom and the 3 (D12, D13 and D14) on the nest during a storm. Usually they lay low, but they they just couldn't do it for very long! It is really funny, Mom Decorah gets wing-whacked so many times! This will give you an idea of wingersizing and hovering with three in the nest!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knUQ0jrKAA8

Thank you very much C.Lynn, it was the nest I was talking about when I was telling here about Eagles who were pecking each other all the time without actually seriously hurting each other.
Happy memories :loveshower:
jopie

Post by jopie »

Good evening all. That was a lot of catching up I had to do. I missed the young ones (and you people of course :laugh: ) but thanks to all of you who posted pictures, video's and messages I can live with it. Thank you all :loveshower:

And I watched the last fish delivery and am very happy to see Nori has regained her sturdy attitude: knowing when to back away, but not timid and submissive anymore :D
jopie

Post by jopie »

Have a very nice evening/night/day/ all :wave:
C.LynnDunn

Post by C.LynnDunn »

I must tell you all that I have fallen totally in love with your osprey family. I started watching when Nori was just a few days old and was worried for him just as all of you were! Your camera picture is so sharp and clear and your forum is so full of facts, observations and pictures. This will be where I come every year after the Decorah eaglets fledge! I belong to The Raptor Resource Project forums, and I post many pictures of the osprey there in The Beak Room thread. The subjects on the forums are very broad when the Decorah Eagles are not on Ustream. Now we all love your osprey! I have given the link many times and many others also watch! Also I keep up with Eha, Koit and Kalev, the LS Eagles, and was so very relieved when Eha came back to the nest today!

I posted this in The Beak Room - you might enjoy as well:

Osprey 6.22.12 (the youngest was 3 days old)

Osprey 7.22.12 (one month later)

Decorah Eaglets 4/3/12 (the youngest was 3 days old)

Decorah Eaglets 5/3/12 (one month later)

I know it is late in Estonia, about 11:00 PM, but you will see this in the morning! Thank you, thank you, thank you! :loveshower: :loveshower: :loveshower: :loveshower:
andi7

Post by andi7 »

Kukelke wrote:20:59 - Piret lands on the nest with a branch, and finds a suitable place for it, closely watched by her offspring.

"Mum, we decorated the nest already. It's not helpful when you put more and more branches on our construction."
Kukelke wrote:Mother Piret and daughter(?) Elo work together on this one (the very same branch which Nori moved previously and which Uno and Elo moved too).

"Elo, this stick has to lie on this place. Everyday I had to clean up the nest after you and your siblings played with the furniture." - "No Mum, it fits more on this place. Ask Uno, he moved this stick with me, when Nori had put it in the wrong place."
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Wil Muller wrote:Hello everybody, I’m Wil from the Netherlands.
For me Wil,your english is very good. Welcome to the forum,only very nice people here and as you have seen very good webcams too. :gathering:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Thank you Maertha for posting all the answers from Urmas Sellis.
Thanks to you all for the news,pics and videos on here again today. :2thumbsup:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

andi7 wrote:"Elo, this stick has to lie on this place. Everyday I had to clean up the nest after you and your siblings played with the furniture." - "No Mum, it fits more on this place. Ask Uno, he moved this stick with me, when Nori had put it in the wrong place."

Thank you, Andi
you made my day ^^

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”