DISCUSSION ~ ESTLAT Osprey Nests ~ 2013

NancyM
Site Admin

Re: DISCUSSION ~ ESTLAT Osprey Nests ~ 2013

Post by NancyM »

Wisteria wrote: Urmas said that Madis's first nest fell down in the winter, so he needed a new nest anyway. It would be interesting to know if Piret was in that nest with him prior to this nest.
The female on Madis' nest in 2011 was not Piret - that female was ringed, according to what Urmas told us last year.
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Chimega wrote:I ran into a lot of scientific information last night on the net. I will try to find that and post it, here.
Please be very cautious about information that you find on the internet - there is a lot of bad* (as weel as good) information out there. The best place to look for real info is in published literature or published books. And as Urmas commented here, addicted webcam viewers often learn more than the experts have known.

*I have seen more myths about bald eagles posted on the internet than good information.

I am a firm believer in learning as much as possible from careful observations and not speculating without facts.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

NancyM wrote:
The female on Madis' nest in 2011 was not Piret - that female was ringed, according to what Urmas told us last year.
Thanks Nancy, I missed that bit of information.
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

NancyM wrote: Please be very cautious about information that you find on the internet - there is a lot of bad* (as weel as good) information out there. The best place to look for real info is in published literature or published books. And as Urmas commented here, addicted webcam viewers often learn more than the experts have known.

*I have seen more myths about bald eagles posted on the internet than good information.

I am a firm believer in learning as much as possible from careful observations and not speculating without facts.
Does university study count as good or bad information or information from biologists/scientific studies? That is what I was referring to.
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
MarshaMay

Post by MarshaMay »

Oxana is a glutton. Where is Piret? :vangry:
wildflowers

Post by wildflowers »

Did anyone see the little tussel off to the left of the nest between two birds about 15 minutes ago?. I could not tell who it was. Did anyone see who it was and did they get a photo?
Kathy

Post by Kathy »

Theres a big boy or girl in Ilmars nest right now...7:11 is the time....lovely bird....

Can't read the rings....
"There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a
landscape as it was before." ~ Robert Lynd
Daijuli

Post by Daijuli »

That is some eagle....one hours ago there was a duck :laugh:
MarshaMay

Post by MarshaMay »

:wave: That WTE in the other nest shows how huge this eagle is to an osprey; he dwarfed the nest.
Daijuli

Post by Daijuli »

There was something wrong about Madis left leg. It was bleeding..... :shock:
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Daijuli wrote:There was something wrong about Madis left leg. It was bleeding..... :shock:

Yes, it's been like that all morning, maybe a little less red now, but the back of his left leg looks raw. :unsure:
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Not just the back of his left leg, but also the inside of one leg and some breast feathers.
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Chimega wrote:Does university study count as good or bad information or information from biologists/scientific studies? That is what I was referring to.
Peer-reviewed, published papers from the scientific literature - if that is what you found - are indeed the best references :2thumbsup:
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

wildflowers wrote:Did anyone see the little tussel off to the left of the nest between two birds about 15 minutes ago?. I could not tell who it was. Did anyone see who it was and did they get a photo?
I was recording most of this morning on Madis' nest - do you know the nest time? I can check... (but I can't figure out what time to check :help: )
Daijuli

Post by Daijuli »

Did anyone see the little tussel off to the left of the nest between two birds about 15 minutes ago?.
Posted 5.45 am......so it makes about 5.30 am?
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Daijuli wrote:Posted 5.45 am......so it makes about 5.30 am?
Thanks! It is currently 2:30 here and I have my forum clock set to my local time ...)

I looked at the recording for 5:25-5:31, and see a bird flying to the right at 5:27, then at 5:31, Oxana flies from the nest and in a flurry of wings seems to circle around and back to the nest. Perhaps she chased someone? I did not find tussle, but I can look again after I sleep.
Cris-Ita

Post by Cris-Ita »

the third partner in three years, madis is not so faithful, I'm right?
piyopiyoya

Post by piyopiyoya »

It is hard for me to see Oxana with Madis after seen such lovely family (Madis, Piret, Uno, Elo, Nori, little Nori has so adorable face just like Madis and Piret mixed) last year and after whole 6 months expected and especially after Piret's survival came back although she showed a short time at home. I worry about Piret's condition but keep a hope that she is alright. I think most of us just have lot emotion with them because accompanied their development from sprit to summer 2012. Please don’t blame anyone’s excitement, because they really feel sad. But I still wish there will be a new family successfully by Oxana and Madis. :rolleyes:
Millie

Post by Millie »

A big thank you to all for observations and stunning pics. I keep wishing Piret will come back, which is silly I know. The nest still looks a mess to me.
I feel sure Oxana will be a good partener for Madis. We know she is strong and determined and prepared to fight for what she wants, and in nature it is the stongest that survive. Just wish it had been Piret that won the battle.
Hope the blood on Madis is not too serious.
yarrow

Post by yarrow »

I think would be best for all...if Piret is ok and she and Illmar join up for this season or may be for lifetime.
Fighting just makes all of them weak and there is more important biz to do...raising little eagles.

yarrow
In five hundred years of fighting not one indian turned white.

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”