DISCUSSION ~ ESTLAT Osprey Nests ~ 2013

kessi

Re: DISCUSSION ~ ESTLAT Osprey Nests ~ 2013

Post by kessi »

Endosome wrote:Sorry if this has been discussed already, but has anybody witnessed or recorded this kind of osprey behavior before, such that two (supposedly unrelated) females fight over the nest this hard and long? Or is this the first ever recorded event?

Well, all I can say that the Kotkaklubi has truly earned all donations in full :thumbs:
I don't think that hard fights between females are totally unusual.
But this isn't a fight between the two females anymore. Piret is seen as an intruder and Madis and Oxana (mostly Madis today) are trying to defend their nest and egg against the intruder.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

http://www.facebook.com/KessisPencilArt
http://www.firiels-art.de

My finished drawing of Piret: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kessi_s/13858861773/
Eden

Post by Eden »

kessi wrote: Or perhaps the constant attacks have scared her off.
Then she would probably also be scared later by attacks of other raptors and not try to defend her chicks but just disappear?
One planet meets another. Planet 1 says to Planet 2, “Hey you look terrible”. Planet 2 says, “Yes I know. I have Homo Sapiens.” Planet 1 says, “Don’t worry. I had that too and it will soon disappear.
Starling

Post by Starling »

kessi wrote: I thought so too. And I'm worried that Oxana is really badly injured!
Or perhaps the constant attacks have scared her off.
Maybe the injury can be the cause. And I hope to see Oxana soon... I can´t help feeling worried. :( But I think I´ve heard that some birds can leave their nests even without injuries if they feel their life is threatened. (Because it´s better to safe herself than an egg. She can produce more eggs later if she stays healthy.)
pfkisa

Post by pfkisa »

Oxana did show an injury on her left side near her upper leg a couple of days ago. She may be somewhere trying to recover, not up for more attacks right now.
Starling

Post by Starling »

Eden wrote: Then she would probably also be scared later by attacks of other raptors and not try to defend her chicks but just disappear?
Especially if she prefers beauty salons, like you suggested earlier... ;-)
kessi

Post by kessi »

pfkisa wrote:Oxana did show an injury on her left side near her upper leg a couple of days ago. She may be somewhere trying to recover, not up for more attacks right now.
It seems as if she was injured yesterday again. There were some pictures where it looked like she was injured on her upper right leg. It looked as if blood was running out of this wound down the leg.
That's why I'm worried that she is injured really bad.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

http://www.facebook.com/KessisPencilArt
http://www.firiels-art.de

My finished drawing of Piret: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kessi_s/13858861773/
snApe1118

Post by snApe1118 »

Cherie wrote:18:33
Piret in the Nest.

Someone fetched her out with much violence :(

She must be wounded from this

:cry:
I hope not. :cry:

That looked bad and sounded too bad to (with headphones). :shock:
Nori S7, Uno S8, Elo S9
Piret S0 and the father Madis

For this fantastic family: https://vimeo.com/47880398

My Vimeo Channel
click: Stephis Video

As long as humans thinks, that animals can not feel, animals must feel, that humans can not think.
alli

Post by alli »

What a drama, I´m getting a bit worried concerning the outcome of this spectacle :puzzled:
Rhapsodya

Post by Rhapsodya »

aita wrote:piret in nest
attacks
on camera
has anyone make a video or a screen? I've lost this one...
Cherie

Post by Cherie »

alli wrote:What a drama, I´m getting a bit worried concerning the outcome of this spectacle :puzzled:

There is no winner. All are loosing :slap:
sus

Post by sus »

[quote="Mutikluti"]18.33
Piret was cruelly pushed out from the nest... :shock: Who? Madis?

Waiting for video, but yes Midas. In his view he is protecting his kingdom. His nest!

oxana has not been around for hours and hours. She was wounded and totally scared.
Morlach

Post by Morlach »

sus wrote: Waiting for video, but yes Midas. In his view he is protecting his kingdom. His nest!
how can you tell it is Madis?? The screenshots do not show a band on the legs of the attacker...
sus

Post by sus »

how can you tell it is Madis?? The screenshots do not show a band on the legs of the attacker...
If you look back many pages since early AM, this has been going on. These poor birds must all be exhausted and in turmoil
javabird

Post by javabird »

I guess we have to wait at least one more day to tell about Oxana.
Remember last year when the chicks got ring? Piret and Midas stayed away from the nest for at least one day. They just drop the fish to nest, not dare to stay for one second.
And remember Ilmar's nest was occupied by the young white-tail eagle couple? Ilmar fought them the next morning and then disappeared for almost two days.
That's how they react when scared by something. They just stay away from the nest for at least one day.
Britta

Post by Britta »

i can't see a ring
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

kessi wrote:I don't think that hard fights between females are totally unusual.
But this isn't a fight between the two females anymore. Piret is seen as an intruder and Madis and Oxana (mostly Madis today) are trying to defend their nest and egg against the intruder.
I think you're right when you say that Piret is now seen as an intruder, also by Madis. And Madis is now protecting 'his' egg. Actually, I think that if Piret throws the egg out of the nest that Madis wouldn't defend the nest anymore, but instead started to mate with Piret now Oxana isn't there at the moment.

If compared to the behaviour of Stan at the Hellgate ospreys, where the old male Stan straight away kicked the eggs of his competitor out of the nest, Piret at the same time has maybe her maternal instincts which say her to protect her competitors egg too, eventhough it isn't hers but Oxana's.
I wondered about this the last two days, because Piret always is very carefull with the egg when she's on the nest; she always seems to avoid stepping on it or damage it otherwise.
midsomer

Post by midsomer »

I can not see the ring but I just can not watch this anymore. I am so SO SO sorry for Piret! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Hope no major damage happened to her!
How strange that Madis was not as violant with Oxana and when Piret came back he did not even show up to help Piret against Oxana.
That might tell us that he does not recognize his last year's mate? Just wondering.........
Also finally it says that all the "they mate for life" is just a fiction and it is all about the nest - and nothing else.
“Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.”
- Mark Twain
Twan

Post by Twan »

Starling, congratulations with your video listed in the Looduskalender list of video's on the frontpage!!
"Love triangle" http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/16659
Eden

Post by Eden »

Starling wrote:
But I think I´ve heard that some birds can leave their nests even without injuries if they feel their life is threatened. (Because it´s better to safe herself than an egg. She can produce more eggs later if she stays healthy.
That’s a rational acting or thinking, and probably their instincts are based on it. Is this behaviour typical for raptors? As far as I know swans e.g. behave differently.
One planet meets another. Planet 1 says to Planet 2, “Hey you look terrible”. Planet 2 says, “Yes I know. I have Homo Sapiens.” Planet 1 says, “Don’t worry. I had that too and it will soon disappear.
Baltar

Post by Baltar »

The quality of the pictures are not so good in the observation thread, so how do you can see that Madis is attacking Piret? Madis wears a silver ring and the skin of the feet of ospreys is grey, so these screenshots are not really useful to determine who is attacking...
What do you hear? Nothing but the rain.

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”