Estonian Osprey Nests ~ Madis & Piret ~ DISCUSSION~ 2014

Luz4711

Re: Estonian Osprey Nests ~ Madis & Piret ~ DISCUSSION~ 2014

Post by Luz4711 »

Kukelke wrote: When Madis landed on the nest it just sounded as the average osprey 'greeting' call, but when he flew off there were definately intruder calls.

Earlier this morning I thought too that I heard intruder calls from this nest, until I discovered that those came from one of the other osprey cams I also have running. I then muted all of them 'till I had found the cam where it came from. For that reason I now have only sound on the Madis & Piret cam so I can hear if there's something going on there.

11:54 the sound is there again. Listen to the video - Link above your post in mine. I'm awake since about 7 Estonian time :whistling: And it seems that it is coming right from the tree where the nest and cam stand is.
Donation for KOTKAKLUBI
IBAN EE18 2200 2210 4035 9778 - BIC HABAEE2X - Swedbank AS
Wire Transfer via SEPA in EURO Countries

search.php?keywords=villa&terms=all&aut ... mit=Search

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBTIDeR ... vpJrE-ImTh
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Kukelke wrote:@Chimega, buzzards are indeed smaller than ospreys, but not much smaller. Buzzards can be really ferocious when they defend their nest with chicks and don't even hesitate to attack humans. This warning sign from the Netherlands says it all: The text says: "watch out!! Buzzard attacks humans!!!"
Thanks, Kukelke :wave:

So, when do buzzards usually lay eggs and about when would those hatch? Could they have chicks already or just eggs or not even either of those, yet? If that is the case, as Urmas had stated that they were there, I wonder what this will mean for Madis and Piret feeling safe enough to use their own nest? :unsure:
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

Luz4711 wrote:11:54 the sound is there again. Listen to the video - ...
I listened to your video, and the sounds I hear around 2:50 are those of a songbird of some sort, with a high pitch at the end of it's song. I've been hearing that all the time since I got up at 7:30, but that is not the sound I heard nor meant when I spoke about osprey intruder calls.
The sound I heard came from a distance away from the nest and was definately an osprey alarm call to tell intruders to back off.
Katti

Post by Katti »

Madis and Piter disappeared, a lone osprey flew into a pole, it was a bit of time and flew away.
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

Chimega wrote:So, when do buzzards usually lay eggs and about when would those hatch? Could they have chicks already or just eggs or not even either of those, yet? If that is the case, as Urmas had stated that they were there, I wonder what this will mean for Madis and Piret feeling safe enough to use their own nest?
In Central Europe buzzards lay their eggs on average from halfway April, and those will hatch after some 33 days. So if there's a buzzard's nest nearby, it could now only contain eggs, but no chicks, I think.
If my memory doesn't fail me, I think buzzards were observed last year too, and also in 2012 after Uno, Elo and Nori hatched. Normally they wouldn't be a real threat, although there was a case in Scotland (where the local buzzard population is extremely dense) 2 years ago where a buzzard snatched an osprey chick from a nest when the mother was on her wings to chase the buzzard off:

So all in all I don't think buzzards will keep Madis & Piret from using this nest, but if an eagle moved into the neighbourhood, things might be different then. Eagles are in another leaugue, and white tailed eagles could be a real threat to osprey chicks and even to adult ospreys, although WTEs -which are notorious kleptoparasites- as a rule only try to steal fish from adult ospreys.
gjuselover

Post by gjuselover »

Hey ! I wonder if maybe Madis and Piret expects their three kids in the neighborhood this year ..is it common that the chicks also arrives to their hatchingplace ? Iam holding my thumbs that everything turns out allright in the end :nod:
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

I assume you mean the chicks from 2012 (Uno, Elo and Nori)? Normally they spend 2 or 3 years in Africa before they return, and when they return, they will come back to the area where they were born. Not necessarily the nest itself, but the surroundings. So yes, there could be a possibility that either of them is around, but the chances are very, very slight that we get to see a 2012 chick on the nest itself, although I really would love to see an osprey on the nest with a black ring with S7, S8 or S9 on it.
What I hope most of all, however, is that we get to see more of Madis & Piret on this nest, and that they chose this nest to rear a clutch of bobbleheads this year too.
Time will tell & fingers crossed.
TaiwanPiret

Post by TaiwanPiret »

Why did nearby of the nest no buzzard problem in the past?

2013 and 2014 were no the buzzard problem?
Millie

Post by Millie »

This Madis and Piret saga is a real mystery. I am thinking that if they have another nest, it must be close at hand otherwise I doubt they would both leave it at the same time, and if they have another nest, why are they still returning to this one??
It is very strange. These birds encounter all sorts of sounds and sights on their travels, and I dont think the noises from the millatry base would deter them as they bred successfully in 2012.
It was wonderful to see the pictures of them both, and to see them looking so fit.
There is still time so hopefully we will see a lot more of them.
gjuselover

Post by gjuselover »

Kukelke thank you for answering and of course ;) I ment Uno Elo and little Nori..hm thinking Madis and Piret seemes a bit anxious over something..WtE ? Wasnt such eagle in the nest earlier before Madis came home..or was it in Ilmars nest ?
Ospreys are big but its mostly the wing area , the body isnt such mass in as White tailed eagles ..If Madis and Piret feels this nest is too near dangerous birds , than of course we must whish that they can find another place to lay eggs..sorry for us, but good for them..buzzards steel fish in the air, and if they are plenty its going to be a hard time for the ospreys..I can see seagulls hunting after my crows, so during the whole summer my dear crows must keep away from my feeding trials :rant:
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

gjuselover wrote:Wasnt such eagle in the nest earlier before Madis came home..or was it in Ilmars nest ?
The White-tailed Eagle was seen in Ilmar's nest on April 5, but a buzzard was briefly on Madis's nest on April 11.

I wonder about those osprey intruder calls that have been heard lately. Could that pretty unringed female that was seen for a few days be watching the nest from nearby and yelling at Piret to get out? Maybe she thinks it's "her" nest, even though Madis did not seem to like her much. Would that be enough to deter Madis and Piret from using the nest?

edit: Someone mentioned a buzzard nest in the area. How do we know that there is a buzzard nest somewhere near this nest? I somehow missed that information.
gjuselover

Post by gjuselover »

Its written earlier in this topic about buzzards living nearby, Urmas wrote that.. :book:
gjuselover

Post by gjuselover »

It went out so well before Piret came back, Madis fixing in the nest, no signs of danger or so.. hope it just is a question about time .. :unsure:
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

gjuselover wrote:Its written earlier in this topic about buzzards living nearby, Urmas wrote that.

Thanks, I did miss that. I wonder how long they've had that nest. I remember one year some (presumably) buzzards harassing Madis and Piret a bit, but they already had their three chicks in the nest so they didn't abandon it, they just chased the buzzards off.
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Wisteria wrote:I wonder about those osprey intruder calls that have been heard lately. ....
I have thought about this quite a bit, myself, and I know with other nests, if there is an intruder osprey, it does not keep the nest owners off the nest. They go after it or usually the male will defend it against the intruder while the female stays in the nest. I don't think that other female was claiming this nest. I think she was just having a look around and stop over before moving on to find a mate. She certainly did not appear to want Madis nor did he appear to want her, either. So I am wondering who is making the intruder calls and why. :puzzled:
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

April 21 05:28 or so - it appears both osprey cams suddenly went off line

but soon came back!

no one is on the Madis nest, but Ilmar was on his nest at the time
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

08:00
Madis' nest cam is offline again
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

I am getting a "Stream Not Found: kalakotkas", message. No cam! :bash:
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

8:42
cam back on
vayu

Post by vayu »

when the camera was changing, after then their didt. come....perhaps for this :puzzled:

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”