Estonian Osprey Nests Ilmar & Irma ~ DISCUSSION~ 2014

Hélène

Re: Osprey ~ Ilmar & Irma ~ NEST DOCUMENTATIONS 2014

Post by Hélène »

Has Aino started the greatest journey of his life? I have a feeling that he did.
I think the same thing...Ilmar and Elar were considerable discussion gently...
andi7

Post by andi7 »

We couldn't be sure, it's Elar calling as long as he's not showing up. Possibly the ospreys of a neighbouring nest used the absence of ospreys in our nest to widen its territory or some migrating bird on a stopover using Ilmar's rich fishing ponds. It would be odd, if Elar was still at home and did not land on the nest.

Perhaps Ilmar and Elar moved to a site closer to the ponds, as they themself using a territory of an abandoned nest.

I think youngsters lost the bond to the nest already, as both did not show up in the morning prior to the usually delivery times any more. The nest is only a fly-in place where fish is served. If Ilmar chooses another site, youngsters will follow him like a youngster and a male osprey using the alien, unoccupied nest of Kalakotkas2 in 2012 for fish deliveries.
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Kukelke wrote: ...
Somehow I have the feeling that Ilmar left and started his migration, but that Elar could still be around. It wouldn't be the first time that an adult leaves before the last chick migrated.
So Ilmar could "leave" Elar to learn to cope on his own - force him to leave -? Aino left just yesterday and Elar is several days younger than Aino. Does it mean that Aino was too comfortable and left late - and Elar is in a more normal schedule as far as Ilmar can decide?
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

Both are within normal migration ages. That is, when I compare them to the migration ages of other nests (UK nests) over the years, that I have readily available here. The main trend in my available material is that juvenile ospreys begin their migration between 85 and 95 days old - with exceptions ranging from 79 to 110 days old (especially the latter is very rare).

And to me Elar always looked a bit more independent than Aino at the same age, especially after fledging.

Here some statistics from Tiger & Chloe's osprey site:

Loch Garten: http://www.imagicat.com/LGmigration.html
Loch of the Lowes: http://www.imagicat.com/LOTLmigration.html
Dyfi: http://www.imagicat.com/dyfiFM.html
Riitta

Post by Riitta »

All the best for Irma :loveshower: & Ilmar :loveshower: & Aino :loveshower: & Elar :loveshower:!
Wonderful parents and handsome youngsters.

I look forward to next season... : : :whistling:
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

:loveshower: :wave:
We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings dominate nature, before they have learned to control themselves. -Albert Schweitzer
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called "lower animals" versus the traits and dispositions of man. The result humiliates me. - Mark Twain
andi7

Post by andi7 »

Last season Kenno and Ilmar left on September 12/13. Maybe its the same this season. If Elar was still in the area, he would have come to the nest yesterday. But nest has been unchanged since both left September 12, 16:55. Osprey calls could be heard now and then, but no close approach to the nest. No osprey sitting in dead tree on yesterday's pontu pictures.

Maybe Ospreyish has more words than "fish, fish, fish", "make eggs with me" and "Go away, this is my nest!". So Ilmar and Elar decided its time to leave during that last delivery.
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

It is melancholic to say goodbye to the last of the chicks this season - as well as to all chatters on the threads - good luck to all the migrators! Have a nice winter season and "see" you next spring!
:wave:
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

Owlie wrote:It is melancholic to say goodbye to the last of the chicks this season - as well as to all chatters on the threads - good luck to all the migrators!
In a way it's indeed a bit melancholic to have to say goodbye to them, from our human point of view, as nest watchers.
Therefore I prefer to celebrate that another annual circle has been completed with success. The circle of ospreys returning, nest preparations, courtship and mating, egg laying, hatching, fledging and very recently also migrating. Making sure more of these beautiful birds will return in the years to come.

Riitta wrote:All the best for Irma & Ilmar & Aino & Elar ! Wonderful parents and handsome youngsters. I look forward to next season...
Amen to that! Stay safe dear ospreys, bon voyage, happy fishing & see you again next year :wave:

I'm looking forward to next season too.

2015 promises to be an exciting year for the osprey nests I use to follow closely every day.

- Kalakotkas: Piret & Madis - will they breed in front of the camera again for the first time since 2012 ?
- Kalakotkas2: Ilmar & Irma - will we get a glimpse of their returning offspring from 2013, Kenno and Kaido ?
- Zivju-erglis: Perkons & Lauma - will we again see Perkons feeding Lauma feeding the chicks? Will the nest be made bigger, and will Perkons contribute to that with more than grass and moss?
- Dyfi: how high will Monty build his nest? Will there again be epic fights over the nest between Glesni and Blue24, or has Blue24 finally found a mate and a nest for herself? 2013 chicks Clarach and Cerist could return too.
- the Nelson nest in Canada: will Nellie and this new male find eachother again and raise chicks?

And last, but not least to me personally, the discovery of 2 nests being built by pioneering ospreys in the Netherlands this summer: will they return next year to finish their nests and breed, and raise the first osplets in the Netherlands since many centuries? Hopefully there will be a nest camera for the public and scientists to watch, just as when the first pair of White Tailed Eagles began to breed in NL back in 2007.

Plus tens of other osprey nests I've been checking on a regular base: Loch of the Lowes (will Lady return once more?), Rutland (will Maya and 33 raise chicks at Manton Bay?), Loch Garten, Glaslyn (will probably get a nestcam next year), Hellgate, Dunrovin, Alcoa, Hog Island, Woods Hole, Calgary, Finland, Poland etc etc etc

Where's the fast forward button to March 2015 ? :mrgreen:
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Are they really off now ...
No - no time for crying - better is to be thankful
I´m thankful that I had the opportunity to watch these wonderful osprey parents, Irma and Ilmar and
I became a great admirer of your Osprey-parentship, I know nothing better .
and the sweet chicks, the beautiful grown teens, Aino :loveshower: and Elar. :loveshower:
I still remember when Aino picked at the man who ringed Elar - how brave he was :2thumbsup:

Now I wish you all - Irma and Ilmar, Aino and Elar, to be save on your journey to Africa,
perhaps Irma has yet arrived ?
My best wishes accompany you all four and I´m longing for your return :wave:

And many big thanks for the mods of this forum, for andi7 and kukelke and others who where always
ready, answering questions of the community. Thank you all.
You made my summer :rolleyes:
Hélène

Post by Hélène »

A GREAT Thank You, for all the members, and Urmas...
And good travel, our friends Ilmar, Irma, Elar and Aino...You are a very nice family..

:loveshower:
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

I am also a bit sad when the saison is over. I hope for the next spring in 2015. I wish all the members a good time.
Ilmar,Irma,Aino and Elar a good and sure flight. Coming sure return in the next spring and give us a good season again with so sweet chicks like Elar and Aino. :nod: :wave:
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Kathy1229

Post by Kathy1229 »

Safe and swift journey for all......what a season for mixed emotions this year....I watch all the cams that Kukelke listed plus a few more (Orange Beach, Sand Point and Fortis Ab)...yes, I am totally addicted to osprey cams....I hope 2015 will bring many, many eggs and successful fledglings.....Oh. they make me cry and have broken my heart many times...but, they also make me realize how fortunate I am to be able to watch them and their families because of kind people like Looduskalender....and Urmas and his untiring aid and assistance....the U.S. Bald eagle cams are ready for broadcasting come October 1st....the pairs are doing nestorations as I speak so we may have nestlings in December/January.....and today my Hummingbirds are still here and feeding many times preparing for their journey south....the males are parting now and the females will soon follow...autumn is nigh and I will hope to be here at my desk next spring to welcome the osprey once again....thank you everyone for your informative posts this season..... what a lovely group we are..... :D
There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before.

ROBERT WILSON LYND
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Irma is maybe already near the African coast ... Nice winds for the rest of the family, too!

In the birdmap the Estonian female osprey Tiiu seems to have chosen a more western Africa route to be now in Tunisia. I hope it is even safer than the one over Egypt route and wish her all luck with the migration! If I read right Tiiu started migration 4-5 days before Irma.
:thumbs:
Laemmergeier

Post by Laemmergeier »

Hélène wrote:A GREAT Thank You, for all the members, and Urmas...
:thumbs: :2thumbsup: :wave:
IceAge

Post by IceAge »

Thank you at all for the documentation about our ospreys.

I wish them a good time.
*Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.* Albert Einstein
Bea

Post by Bea »

A bit eye-candy for all empty-nesters :wink:

With hope, that "our" young osprets enjoy their own fish, too :nod:
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Kertugal

Post by Kertugal »

Think every body for all. I watch all about osprey and others but never right because my english....
It was a strange saison with very nice succes and sad stories. But it's the life.
To wait for the next saison will be very long.... All these birds are so merveilous (?)...
I made a lot of designs of what i saw ( 2 drawing books), i don't now what i can do with that

For thunks, i send you one
http://i59.tinypic.com/in7985.jpg

I hope they all made a nice trip whith no problem and have a long and nice life.
Sophie
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

A beautiful drawing of the chicks, you have succeeded to capture their exciting expressions so naturally, thankyou, Kertugal!
Is it a harsh Aino on the nest and a milder Elar arriving that time?
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

Very nice drawing of Aino & Elar, Kertugal :thumbs:

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”