Black Stork Tracks

Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Re: Black Stork Tracks

Post by Felis silvestris »

Carsten Rohde has reached Israel and started posting his sightings. I have put his blog on my toolbar and will check regularly.
Today I saw he put the first sightings, as of today there are 1300 BS in the valley and he saw 2 Estonian colour rings and he saw Raivo and even took a picture.

I hope it is okay if I post the link to the blog, if not please tell me or remove it again:

http://blackstorknotes.blogspot.com/
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

macdoum wrote:Spotters in the Pyrenees today count a lot of Black Storks passing through to Spain.

Though its in French its easy to see who has been counted by today. Amazing..they have rarely seen so many migrating birds from the same spot exept maybe in 2008
:chick:

Here is the map of France. Now on this link choose any or all spots to see what bird was registered on each day.

http://www.migraction.net/index.php?m_id=1512
I choose on spot and thats what I could see for 8th Sept.
http://www.migraction.net/index.php?m_i ... ction=list

Black Storks 260 total ;65 today (if I understand rightly.. :puzzled: )
:2thumbsup:
Same spot. Total count today 551. Black Storks. :2thumbsup:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
leonia

Post by leonia »

Hello Felis silvestris, :hi:
don't mind, I had posted the adress of Carsten's Blog already when it started last year. He wants to reach as much Stork enthusiats as possible, and if this is the way to achieve that aim he won't mind. :wave:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Thanks Leonia, I guess we all will keep an eye on Carsten's blog and hope that maybe he will see a few of our Estonian friends there!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

macdoum

Post by macdoum »

macdoum wrote: Same spot. Total count today 551. Black Storks. :2thumbsup:
Today's count. 25th Sept 2011
Total count 680: 58 today. ( count on one spot through the Pyrenees). :2thumbsup:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
leonia

Post by leonia »

Carsten has updated ring-numbers of BS in Israel's Yordan valley in his blog:
http://blackstorknotes.blogspot.com/201 ... chive.html
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

leonia wrote:Carsten has updated ring-numbers of BS in Israel's Yordan valley in his blog:
http://blackstorknotes.blogspot.com/201 ... chive.html

Thanks Leonia... we are all hoping he will see Oss. :thumbs:
Emily Dickinson
Katinka

Post by Katinka »

Due to an identic migration route of our Western tracking German, French, Dutch, Czech, Austrian & Swiss BS, namely via Spain
and the strait of Gibraltar to Northern Africa, here is the latest observation by Birgit Kremer, known from the LK link http://www.iberia-natur.com/en/index-en.html
One time in September she observed strong winds hindering the birds from passing the strait. Such events are normal and show some of the circumstances the birds have to cope with on their way to South.
See also on "Bird behaviour".
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

New update at Carsten's blog. No Oss, but quite a few Estonians! :thumbs:
Estonia: 5 (7006, 7014 "Raivo", 7079, 7085 "Valdur", 708P "Pirsu")
Beautiful photos!
On the sad side, and those are the not so nice photos:
In the meantime so much happening....
A very big problem, the strung nets over the fish ponds. Either drowning or strangulation the BS there. More later. I would like to work out a paper.
Meanwhile, I have 10 BS so finds. Of this I can rescue 5 BS - in two cases in partisan work I've cut the nets swimming ...
I hope he can change something there. As much as I can understand that pond owners fear for their fish, it is cruel what they do to the storks! :cry:

Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Felis silvestris wrote:
I hope he can change something there. As much as I can understand that pond owners fear for their fish, it is cruel what they do to the storks! :cry:
Very beautiful photos of the Blackstorks, but so sad with the nets over the fish ponds..such a long journey just to get caught in a net in search of food :cry:
I hope there is another solution to this terrible situation... :unsure:
Katinka

Post by Katinka »

That are the blog reports of Carsten I just was worrying when they will come...

Terrible to see the pics and to think of much more dangers :-| in Israel.
It seems as if a plenty more birds are staying -and remaining- in this countryside than in the beginning of the special BS observation. To be compared with attractive living space to us human beings offside of cities!
He will have to cope with it as the years before. But, something has changed for him...I support his partisan-like activities. If you do not fight against things, you will never change things.
Members, we must support him mentally not only in this forum!
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

macdoum wrote: Today's count. 25th Sept 2011
Total count 680: 58 today. ( count on one spot through the Pyrenees). :2thumbsup:
Count on one spot in the Pyrenees as of 4th October 2011.728 Black storks last BS seen (for now). As the weather is much colder now,perhaps all BS migrating have gone to ? Spain or Africa by now.

Edit Total count in The Col de Organbidexka in Pyrenees on 15th October 20 11 is 748 Black storks passing by. :headroll:
Emily Dickinson
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Last Black Stork seen passing through the Col d'Organbidexka Pyrenees on the 17th October 2011.
Between 15th July and 17th October total count there was 751 BS.
It seems a good count to me but I don't know what the count was in previous years. 8-)
N.B. That is just one spot where migrating birds were counted passing through to Spain (I suppose) via the Atlantic side of the mountains between France and Spain.
Emily Dickinson
Liis

Post by Liis »

On February 23rd black stork Pirsu started his spring journey!

http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/12485
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Liis wrote:On February 23rd black stork Pirsu started his spring journey!

http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/12485
We have exciting days in front of us... :2thumbsup:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

The first white storks are already back in Germany (or didn't even leave this winter)!
Let's hope it will be a good year for the storks! Urmas says that there is a lack of female BS in Estonia!

Olga

Post by Olga »

Raivo has flied almost 1000 km during one day and night :shock: really?? from the 6th to the 7th March.

SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

No, Raivo is not so quick flyer - there were during some days data missing and on map therefore Raivo jumped long distance at once...
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Pridu is not moving anymore it seems ? Any news ?
Emily Dickinson
asteria

Post by asteria »

No, he moved a little bit on the North.
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire

Return to “Migration Maps and News”