Black Stork Tracks

Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
Katinka

Re: Black Stork Tracks

Post by Katinka »

After some time of absence I don't get it! All 5 are still alive, and 3 are on a definitely good way to Africa.
Agnese - has reached African ground at the coast of Egypt/Hurghada on Oct 3. It took her only a few stopovers since my last post 12 days ago. Referring to the Facebook statements (see also here on p. 7, Sept 5) her signals are out of order due to the passing of GSM-free desert regions.
Oga - without any incidents has made it up to Sudan! On FB Urmas tells us his concerns about the kind of place she decided to take a rest. Adult BS wouldn't land there for a failure of prey.
Dora - finally she made it! Flew straight forward and signals now from very south-eastern Turkey – inmidst a water reservoir near Adana…imagine it must be low water level at this part of the lake.
Tince – like Oga, she did make it up to Sudan. So where will the journey end?
Mellene - doesn't move too much heading South, so she is the latest of the Latvian youngsters: on Northern Turkish territory near Bursa.

Now what about Raivo???
His signals in the Israeli Bet She'an region didn't move on since Sept. 9, as I now recognize...
Katinka

Post by Katinka »

Some more update for the Latvian BS youngsters for this month.

4 of 8 left and all in Africa, found by the latest news on Facebook from Nov. 5 -
Dora, after having taken up her flight southwards, didn't survive the stay in Sudan.
There was a lack of GPS signals, because in Central Africa there are zones without satellite coverage. But now the activity index on the Movebank side didnt't leave any doubts.
The last who didn't make any moves away from Turkish territory, Mellene, after all appeared on the screen via Syria straight ahead to... Sudan.
Let's hope that the left 4 will make it in spite of many dangerous situations in Africa. The rate of loss with BS is explicit high in their first-year cycle.
But as the Latvian project duration is limited up to Dec. 30, we obviously will not be able to follow the youngsters' flights after that. So let's wait what Maris Strazds and partners will report until then.

And now to our 2 adult Estonian BS: Priidu is in the Southwest of Sudan now, a familiar destination.
In opposite to him, Raivo prefers to remain in Israel. Let's see if he'll get the impulse to fly on to Africa in the end of the year...
Bea

Post by Bea »

Katinka wrote:... Raivo prefers to remain in Israel. Let's see if he'll get the impulse to fly on to Africa in the end of the year...
Maybe he still can´t believe to NOT meet Carsten Rohde there this year .... and he is still waiting .....
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Katinka

Post by Katinka »

Servus Bea,
it is 50/50. Why? read back on previous page, post from Sept 28.
And as Carsten plans, we will read of the Spanish wintering BS colonies he may visit in "winter time".
Bea

Post by Bea »

Not necessary to read back, I know this all :wink:

:whistling: But Raivo doesn´t. :D
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Katinka

Post by Katinka »

Today, for first, news of Carsten Rohde from his annonced journey to the BS in Spain.
I catched him via mail by chance - when he obviously just had returned...
NO he didn't visit the famous wintering stork colonies at the garbage or waste deposits!
He found 100s of them at the rice fields and near the Guadalquivir. Amongst them he discovered 3 from Germany.
Regretfully you cannot find anything about the trip in his blog. It's only a hobby, a marginal topic of some complexe ones he is dealing with at the moment - I'd say in his profession.
Katinka

Post by Katinka »

To come to a conclusion with my reports about the Latvian BS tracking project "Dzivibas lidojums"-

According to Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/DzivibasLidojums) there are 2 from 8 left by now.
That is not more and not less than 2 from 8.
Desillusioned, but it was to assume for a flight to and a stay in Africa.
Katinka

Post by Katinka »

Birdmap seems to work incomplete...hopefully no virus...

Our 2 (3) left sendered BS: from Pirsu no real living sign!
From Raivo a constant move Northwards.
And not to talk about the Latvian juvenile BS sendering project.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

For the Storkaholics among us: Bayerischer Landesbund für Vogelschutz (Bavarian Association of the protection of birds) has put transmitters on 3 juvenile Black Storks from nests in Bavaria. They want to study where they go to forage for food, what are the dangers they are exposed to (wind turbines), where will they migrate to and which route will they take etc.
Today a migration map went online and they will have a blog. Unfortunately it will be only in German, but the map won't need much translation.
One of the storks already reached the southern parts of France, the other two are still in Germany and in Czech Republic.

http://www.lbv.de/unsere-arbeit/vogelsc ... torch.html
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Welcome RAIVO !! It's back for the summer :loveshower:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

August 03
good morning :hi:

our Upene (Ziluka) is here :laugh: :loveshower:

https://www.movebank.org/panel_embedded_movebank_webapp

lianaliesma wrote:bitter-sweet time for us all. .
:nod: I miss our Twins a bit :shake:
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

:hi:

Here is information from Māris Strazds :

"No Upenes raidītāja šodien nav signāla, kas gandrīz 100% nozīmē to, ka sms sūtīšanas brīdī viņa ir lidojusi (bijusi augstu gaisā) un nezonā, visticamāk jau Baltkrievijā, kaut kur Latvijas robežas tuvumā. Visi pārtraukumi ceļošanas laikā ir bijuši tieši šādi un parasti tas apstiprinās pēc dienas vai divām. Upenes maršruts Movebank vietnē būs pieejams, domājams, no pirmdienas, kad datu bāzes administrators sāks strādāt, bet līdz brīdim, kad tas tieši būs pieejams arī goris.lv ir drusku jāuzgaida. Kad tas būs, noteikti ziņošu."

____

There are no signal from Upene that 100% means that she is flying high where is no reception zone. She could be already near Latvian/ Belorussian border. Ussualy it becomes known in 1 - 2 days.
In Movebank databases the information about Upene starting from Monday... and in goris.lv
We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings dominate nature, before they have learned to control themselves. -Albert Schweitzer
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called "lower animals" versus the traits and dispositions of man. The result humiliates me. - Mark Twain
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Lianaliesma, thank you for this information :2thumbsup:
asteria

Post by asteria »

Patarnieki-Grigarowshchina is ahead.
macko50

Post by macko50 »

I think Upene (Ziluka) is much further away now, because the positions on the map are 2015-08-01 09:00:07 .. 2015-08-01 13:30:11
Ther last position data on the map are from 2015.08.01. We can see the first four ours of her flight on the map.

"One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals." - Mahatma Gandhi
George
http://madarlesok.lapunk.hu/
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Macko, thank you for data update.
It is exciting to see where she flies. Perhaps together with Ziluks.
macko50

Post by macko50 »

It is very interesting that Meija the other tagged young balack stork having flown south turned around and flew back to the nest area.

https://www.movebank.org/panel_embedded_movebank_webapp

I don't want to post this migration data here, but in which topic can we discuss about it?
"One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals." - Mahatma Gandhi
George
baska

Post by baska »

hello all together :hi:

Liz, thank you for let us know the link of 'Movebank' :shake:

I'm also very interested where Ziluka will fly and rest.

But I'm trying now since at least one hour to get the trace of Ziluka.
I just don't get it :rant:
I'm registered and tried this and that...............
The last version was that:

What do I do wrong ??? :cry:
greetings from Baska

We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings are controlling and dominating the nature, before they have learned to control themselves.
Albert Schweitzer
macko50

Post by macko50 »

baska wrote:
I'm also very interested where Ziluka will fly and rest.
But I'm trying now since at least one hour to get the trace of Ziluka.
Baska it wasn't easy but I found a way.

You will find simply in this list -> Sort by Animal identifier -> Black Stork MPIO Latvia -> Then click on the '+' sign -> Then click on the 'magnifying glass' at the name of Upene.

On top of the map -> Options -> Set the followings.

George
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Baska :hi:
it also works without registration.

I can explain it in German. it's easy :shake:

EDIT:I see Macko explained it well :laugh: :thumbs:

Return to “Migration Maps and News”