Tõnn's Travels

Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
Eden

Re: Tõnn's Travels

Post by Eden »

asteria wrote:He may start breeding this year!
Tönn no more a cosmopolite but sedentary and a family man with a mate and squawking kids? :slap: :mrgreen:
One planet meets another. Planet 1 says to Planet 2, “Hey you look terrible”. Planet 2 says, “Yes I know. I have Homo Sapiens.” Planet 1 says, “Don’t worry. I had that too and it will soon disappear.
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Last night Tõnn spent 85km south of Lyon, 5km north of Valence on agricultural fields.
The village there is Châteauneuf-sur-Isère.
Maybe somebody knows how far is the snowy (yet) area, probably not there? In montains of course, but in lowland?
Eden

Post by Eden »

Châteauneuf-sur-Isère
temperature at noontime: 17°C
http://www.wetter.com/frankreich/chatea ... 26236.html
One planet meets another. Planet 1 says to Planet 2, “Hey you look terrible”. Planet 2 says, “Yes I know. I have Homo Sapiens.” Planet 1 says, “Don’t worry. I had that too and it will soon disappear.
Eden

Post by Eden »

If Tönn (at present between Fribourg and Bern/Switzerland) keeps his direction, he will cross South-West-Germany – again unseen? 8-)
Actual temperature in Bern: 4°C.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

I just got the news that Tõnn was seen in Germany, by Carsten Rohde of all people. A short report with photo (in German language) can be read here:

http://ornitho.de/index.php?m_id=1164&a=N90&langu=de

NB: Carsten Rohde is presently on a Black Stork monitoring trip in northern Franconia and says he feels this is like winning the lottery!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

Felis silvestris wrote: NB: Carsten Rohde is presently on a Black Stork monitoring trip in northern Franconia and says he feels this is like winning the lottery!
Indeed!!! Incredibly!
Bea

Post by Bea »

Felis silvestris wrote:NB: Carsten Rohde is presently on a Black Stork monitoring trip in northern Franconia and says he feels this is like winning the lottery!
If someone deserves moments like this than people like him!
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
leonia

Post by leonia »

Doris was the first who received the message of Carsten's observation this morning from an ornithologic database and sent it to me. Immediatelly I phoned Carsten while sending the message forward to Felis. I told him that I was very happy that none other than he was the first one to observe Tönn while flying across Germany.
Carsten is in Northern Franconia since more than three weeks now for the Blackstork-monitoring programme, has had the worst of possible weather (snow, cold) and has already done his job for this spring. :thumbs:
At that day he just was about to change the observation place, but before that he scanned the horizon with his binoculars, thought: looks like an eagle, like a greater spotted eagle (he is not only expert for blackstorks but also for lesser spotted eagles in the Northeast of Germany). He saw something like an antenna on the bird's back, knew that Tönn was about to take this route, took his cam with the super-tele and shot the pic. The bird was at about two kilometers distance, this is why the pic is not clear. And when I asked him, why he didn't take part in a lottery at that day because he was so lucky, he answered that this observation is like winning the lottery.
:headroll:
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Thrilling ! I am pleased that Carsten Rohde had this great good fortune!
Liis

Post by Liis »

On Monday (April 22nd) Tõnn was a few kilometres west of Närpiö in Finland.
He has been there at least once before, in July 2009
http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/4713
(Närpiö - see paragraph just below the first photo)
Liis

Post by Liis »

Tõnn is well on his way to Sweden, only just east of Torne älv, the boundary river between Finland and Sweden.
One breeding pair of GSEs is reported from Finland in the 2005-2010 Finnnish breeding bird atlas; in central Finland.
From Sweden only an unsuccessful attempt during two years some time in the 1980ies (I think) is known.

So, where to and why, Tõnn?
asteria

Post by asteria »

He likes Lapland, that is why.
Liis

Post by Liis »

asteria wrote:He likes Lapland, that is why.
But he doesn't stay there :innocent:
He passed the Finnish-Swedish border some time 25-26 April, by migration map data is in Dalarna from April 27; only a couple of 100 km NNW from Stockholm.
Express sightseeing tour?
There is still snowcover in the northernmost 25% part, map SNÖDJUP
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Tönn seems to be heading to his favorite spots in Sweden...again. Must be something of intrest there ! A female who has been hiding there all this time...a secretive GSE :innocent:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

Tõnn on his Scandinavian sightseeing tour :laugh:
Now he is looking around on Öland Island :rolleyes:
0hansen

Post by 0hansen »

:thumbs:

Wow - Tõnn really gets around. I hope he will pay a visit to Denmark too. Last year he was only 10 km way from my home, after a brief visit to Germany. He stayed here for almost 14 dayes and then he headed for Spain.
Liis

Post by Liis »

Tõnn does get around, and he is burning up the calories.
As of Birdmap of May 16th, back again in North Finland after a long trip along the Norwegian coast (doing the bird version of hurtigrutten, Tõnn?) and crossing the northern tip of Sweden.

Is this roaming around the common behaviour for non-breeding adult spotted eagles?

Meanwhile he must have made many Norwegian birdwatchers happy - if he was seen.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

I read that températures in Laponie are 29°... :shock:
In Alsace we have 12° :slap:
Where are you now my lovely Tõnn ? Maybe enjoying the sun way up there :rolleyes:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Liis

Post by Liis »

macdoum wrote:I read that températures in Laponie are 29°... :shock:
In Alsace we have 12° :slap:
Where are you now my lovely Tõnn ? Maybe enjoying the sun way up there :rolleyes:
Well, on May 31st he was back in Sweden again, and just a flight of an hour or so from Stockholm, near Sala, once renowned for its silver mine.
Tõnn might be suspected of royalistic leanings. He was around when Crown Princess Victoria married her Daniel. Now on Saturday Victoria's sister Madeleine is the bride.
More seriously, he is definitely travelling around frantically this year. Yearning for a mate?
Eden

Post by Eden »

Liis wrote: More seriously, he is definitely travelling around frantically this year. Yearning for a mate?
But as frantically as he is flying around, he could also be on the run from a mate… :mrgreen:

Return to “Migration Maps and News”