Tõnn's Travels

Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
macdoum

Re: Tõnn's Travels

Post by macdoum »

Eden wrote: More seriously, he is definitely travelling around frantically this year. Yearning for a mate? quote Liis
But as frantically as he is flying around, he could also be on the run from a mate… :mrgreen:
Nasty.... no not running from :rotf: His hormones must tell him its time fella.. :mrgreen:
Is there not one female GSE in the whole of Scandanavia.. :help:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Liis

Post by Liis »

macdoum wrote: Nasty.... no not running from :rotf: His hormones must tell him its time fella.. :mrgreen:
Is there not one female GSE in the whole of Scandanavia.. :help:
Only in Finland probably; not known for sure or told, but 1 or 2 or possibly more breeding pairs. None in Sweden (unless it is a very well-kept secret), none in Norway.
In Sweden stray GSEs come in towards the autumn migration period, mainly in southern Sweden.
Eden

Post by Eden »

But a GSE would probably mate with a LSE? What’s their situation in Scandinavia?

Tönn was raised up in Western Estonia. On his way from Spain back to Northern Europe he always flew first to Estonia, but never stayed there for more than a week, then he went straight to Scandinavia. Are there any speculations why he is behaving like that?
One planet meets another. Planet 1 says to Planet 2, “Hey you look terrible”. Planet 2 says, “Yes I know. I have Homo Sapiens.” Planet 1 says, “Don’t worry. I had that too and it will soon disappear.
Liis

Post by Liis »

Eden wrote:But a GSE would probably mate with a LSE? What’s their situation in Scandinavia?

Tönn was raised up in Western Estonia. On his way from Spain back to Northern Europe he always flew first to Estonia, but never stayed there for more than a week, then he went straight to Scandinavia. Are there any speculations why he is behaving like that?
Strangely there seem to be no observations at all of lesser spotted eagles reported in the Swedish bird obervations database for the last 15 years.
That might not be the gospel truth, but probably at least somewhere near it; I checked my handling of the database with some other birds, and got reasonable data.
Strange because LSEs are clearly more numerous in Estonia, and might be expected to make stray visits.
As for the flying around, haven't seen any theories; Tõnn is rather mobile in winter in Spain too.
Not staying in Estonia might be an extreme case of the general instinct not to stay or breed near the hatching area, in order to avoid inbreeding.
Eden

Post by Eden »

And what about Denmark, Norway, Finland? There are no data about LSE available either?
We have about 100 breeding pairs In the Eastern part of Germany, Tönn flies over that area on his way back from Spain…

It’s a pity that Tore seems to be dead.
It would have been interesting to compare the behavior of both birds.
One planet meets another. Planet 1 says to Planet 2, “Hey you look terrible”. Planet 2 says, “Yes I know. I have Homo Sapiens.” Planet 1 says, “Don’t worry. I had that too and it will soon disappear.
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

As the limit of range if LSE is in Estonia, no breeding in islands and rare in northern part of Estonia.
Juveniles rarely appear in Finland, but no breedings there.
Main migration route is South East, so probably almost every LSE making other way, will disappear.
But the range of LSE in general is moving eastward, over the GSE range. Then the hybridisations happen, etc.
Can't say anything about Tore, since there are no data received about his transmitter or the bird itself.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

I think Germany is the western-most border of the "normal" distribution of LSE, Deutsche Wildtierstiftung posted a map of the remaining ~100 breeding pairs a couple of days ago:
viewtopic.php?p=131113#p131113

In Spain breeding attempts have been observed
viewtopic.php?p=194714#p194714

and about the unusual migration path via the western route you can find an article here:
viewtopic.php?p=133604#p133604

In a lecture B. U. Meyburg said, that most tagged LSE taking the western route were lost.

Edit added on June 16:
I wanted to research about the distribution of LSE and GSE, but then forgot about it.
It seems LSE are found not north of Estonia, I did not find any mention of breeding in Finnland, the Swedish Wikipedia says "they are a rare guest", the Norwegian does not even have an article on LSE.
About GSE I found that Finland might have 0-2 breeding pairs. Finnish Wikipedia says "Greater spotted eagle has lost his permanent breeding in Finland, and it is classified as the country lost the species"
The Swedish Wikipedia says "In Sweden, the greater spotted eagle is rare, but it is usually observed each year, mostly in southern Sweden," maybe even referring to Tõnn. No proper entry for Norway. Their breeding range goes more towards East and Estonia, Belarus and small parts of Poland form the Western edge of distribution.
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
asteria

Post by asteria »

Eden wrote: It’s a pity that Tore seems to be dead.
It would have been interesting to compare the behavior of both birds.
Tore must be as "dead" as Piret "was" with her transmitter.
Eden

Post by Eden »

asteria wrote:
Tore must be as "dead" as Piret "was" with her transmitter.
Ok, you are right, let's hope that he is still alive.
Eden

Post by Eden »

Since 9.6.13., (9 days, latest actualization 18.6.) Tönn is staying in the same area – that’s pretty unusual for him.
Either he particularly likes the surrounding or he found a girl friend. :D
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Such a rare species ! Thanks to Félis for all the recent observations. We so hoped Tõnn would find a mate this year. Maybe he has but we cannot see.
I wish him the best,our dear wandering GSE. Is he lonely,I wonder ? :unsure:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Liis

Post by Liis »

macdoum wrote:Such a rare species ! Thanks to Félis for all the recent observations. We so hoped Tõnn would find a mate this year. Maybe he has but we cannot see.
I wish him the best,our dear wandering GSE. Is he lonely,I wonder ? :unsure:
:wave: , Macdoum -
if Tõnn is lonely and longing for a mate he should certainly not be where he is, in Norway. As far as is known, GSEs are even rarer in Norway than in Sweden (at least 1 half-hearted breeding attempt recorded last century).
Any background information from Norwegian forum members?
What next in his exploration of the Nordic countries: Denmark? Iceland?
But it looks as if the mating urge has abated somewhat for the season: he has been rather stationary lately.
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Liis, you seem to be exact!
Tõnn is not behaving according our knowledge and could seem strange, but actually we do not know if that is strange. We have so few data about GSE development and start of breeding, yet.
Some images and observations are available from Norway:

http://www.artsobservasjoner.no/artport ... eID=342401
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Urmas wrote:Liis, you seem to be exact!
Tõnn is not behaving according our knowledge and could seem strange, but actually we do not know if that is strange. We have so few data about GSE development and start of breeding, yet.
Some images and observations are available from Norway:

http://www.artsobservasjoner.no/artport ... eID=342401
Urmas,its great to see such a lovely photo of our dear Tönn. So glad he is well,he looks it too. :D I have saved on image...hope thats O.K with Halvor Sorhuus,its only for my own use,a keepsake ?
Emily Dickinson
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

I wonder if Tônn will start to make his way back to Spain soon ?
Emily Dickinson
Liis

Post by Liis »

macdoum wrote:I wonder if Tônn will start to make his way back to Spain soon ?
:wave:, Macdoum -
he probably is on his way already. In Central Sweden as of August 11th. It seems as if he is flying not very far from motorways - but on the other hand, these days there may be motorways next to everything.

But for how long will Tõnn's transmitter work?

If the batteries give up, all ornithologists in Europe had better polish their binoculars and read up all about GSE recognition. We can't be left without knowing if Tõnn meets a mate and where.
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Tõnns transmitter is quite well working, yet. But once it will get worn and then really it is needed to polish the binoculars or to organize retrapping of Tõnn somewhere and to change transmitter.
Tõnn moved SE Sweden, think he would like to visit Öland once again...
Liis

Post by Liis »

Latest notice of Tõnn in the Swedish SOF open report system is from August 11th, 5 days ago. Even ornithologists become used to rarities, then. :mrgreen:

At least 2, and probably 3, other different GSEs have visited Öland this summer, however, the latest "guest" on July 13-14.
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

I was wrong with Öland, Tõnn flew to Denmark already... data on map will be updated soon, if more locations we receive.
Manu

Post by Manu »

So I wish Tõnn a good and safe journey :wave:

Return to “Migration Maps and News”