Tõnn's Travels

Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
Liis

Re: Tõnn's Travels

Post by Liis »

GSE Tore, brother or sister of Tõnn, is in Poland and just might be going by the western route, as Tõnn but different from (almost) all others on the map.

Interesting!
Liis

Post by Liis »

A report on greater spotted eagles in El Hondo HERE, with a somewhat more detailed description of Tõnn arriving this year here (scroll down).
Another source says Tõnn arrived with another GSE.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Liis wrote:A report on greater spotted eagles in El Hondo HERE, with a somewhat more detailed description of Tõnn arriving this year here (scroll down).
Another source says Tõnn arrived with another GSE.
So what is this observation saying he is not adult yet :puzzled:
also: Will we see the same wandering with Tore the brother ?
Thank you Liis. :thumbs:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

macdoum wrote:
So what is this observation saying he is not adult yet :puzzled:
also: Will we see the same wandering with Tore the brother ?
Thank you Liis. :thumbs:
According to what I found for the Aquila pomarina database (which also includes GSE and their Indian cousin A. hastata)
Breeding and Reproduction
Probably does net breed before 4 or 5 years old [Mebs & Schmidt 2006].
(viewtopic.php?p=122150#p122150)

If I'm correct, Tõnn was born 2008, so maybe next summer or the one after?
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Liis

Post by Liis »

Is it known for certain that Tore is a male? DNA test?

Of course the name Tore can easily be changed to female Tora. Or Tone ...

An intriguing item in the presentation of Iti - working hypothesis: Tõnn's mother - on Migration map:
"Iti was successfully breeding also in 2010 and there is some possibility that her offspring is wintering also in Spain, in the same area as Tõnn (El Hondo wetlands). "
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

FRom El Hondo
south from the Main OP I flushed a very large raptor from the track that had caught a snake or lizard. It clumsily flew down the track in front of me then veered off to the right. It was the adult Spotted Eagle. On 28th November the adult was seen in a tree just to the right of the track between the South and North Gates. It then flew off and was attacked by a Marsh Harrier and a Buzzard. On 29th November I flushed another Spotted Eagle from the eucalyptus trees c600m south of the Main OP. I managed to view it really well and got some pictures. Its plumage was exactly like Tonn (white 'V' at the base of the tail and some indistinct white marks on the upper wing) but without a satellite antenna. 'Not Tonn' is back!! However, as with last year, I have no idea whether this bird really is the same one as last year or the year before, but it is probably a fifth winter bird just like Tonn. Tonns' younger brother/sister, Tore, is migrating from Estonia and is now in eastern Switzerland, having definitely made a south westerly movement from around Munich. This is looking more promising that it will be coming to Hondo to meet up with it's elder brother. Lets hope so.....

Not Tonn seen on 29th November at Hondo being mobbed by a Marsh Harrier.

Photograph of Not-Tönn as seen on 28th (or 29th ?) November 2012 with Marsh Harrier
Nice to have some news. :D
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Liis wrote:Is it known for certain that Tore is a male? DNA test?
I think Urmas is not sure about it, I remember that he wrote "he/she" about Tore in a mail. Must be still waiting for DNA test results. But I do find it interesting that both GSE seem to be not inclined to go to Africa. Zygmunt a GSE from Poland went to Africa the same way the LSE do! And so are GSE from some other Polish project.
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Liis

Post by Liis »

Migration map update Jan 26th
Tõnn is as usual burning up his calories, touring El Hondo.

But what about sibling Tore? Even if his transmitter does not work, a GSE should be rare enough to be noticed in the area where he was, or moving out of it.

From http://www.rarebirdspain.net/arbsr000.htm
Greater Spotted Eagle Aquila clanga (1,2,3)
(1)Alicante. The 1w seen on 24.12 at El Hondo perhaps was the same seen on 4.1.2013, at Peña de las Águilas, Elche, Alicante. 8 km far from El Hondo (Adolfo Quiles).

(2)Alicante. The adult overwintering in the area was seen again on 14.1 (Graham Critchell)

(3)Alicante. The subadult named 'not Tonn' was seen being mobbed by Booted Eagles and Buzzards c800m south of the Main OP on 16.1 (Graham Critchell).
Eden

Post by Eden »

Liis wrote: Migration map update Jan 26th
But what about sibling Tore? Even if his transmitter does not work, a GSE should be rare enough to be noticed in the area where he was, or moving out of it.
About 3 weeks ago, I asked Urmas, and he wrote that at last transmission, Tore’s battery was nearly empty.

But - if Tore crossed successfully the Alps and went to South-Switzerland and Italy, there should be enough sun to upload the solar panel??
One planet meets another. Planet 1 says to Planet 2, “Hey you look terrible”. Planet 2 says, “Yes I know. I have Homo Sapiens.” Planet 1 says, “Don’t worry. I had that too and it will soon disappear.
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Whatever might happen, but the transmitter we used on Tore seems to be not as well as of brother Tõnn.
Nothing to do as wait for new data or direct observations...
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Tõnn in El Hondo:
http://www.finesystem.co.uk/birdwatchin ... hondo.html

by Graham Gritchell
Brit

Post by Brit »

Urmas wrote:Tõnn in El Hondo:

by Graham Gritchell

Thank you, Urmas! :wave:
Have a nice day!
Brit
http://www.worldofanimals.eu/
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Urmas wrote:Tõnn in El Hondo:

by Graham Gritchell
:loveshower: Good news at last. Thank you Urmas and Brit.
But how can we follow him now,if the tracker is no longer woking..? :cry:
Emily Dickinson
AGUILA PESCADORA

Post by AGUILA PESCADORA »

Tonn seen again today at El Hondo :

http://www.finesystem.co.uk/birdwatchin ... tings.html
Brit

Post by Brit »

Thank you very much, AGUILA PESCADORA! :loveshower:
Have a nice day!
Brit
http://www.worldofanimals.eu/
Liis

Post by Liis »

macdoum wrote: ---- --
:loveshower: Good news at last. Thank you Urmas and Brit.
But how can we follow him now,if the tracker is no longer woking..? :cry:
Yes, we all of course want it to work at least until we know that he is settled and happy with a nest!
So, keeping fingers crossed and hoping that his special house god and namesake, Tõnn, and St Anthony (of travelers :innocent: ) keep watch.

It would have been so interesting to see where sibling Tore was headed too - west or east?

When Tõnn first wintered in Spain it seemed to be rather unusual: comparatively few observations of GSEs in Spain in general, and an uncommon migration route for a GSE from Estonia. Is that still so?
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Tõnn did not start really the migration, but made some 50km trip to north, maybe checked the conditions on way? But soon he should think seriously about moving north.
Eden

Post by Eden »

Is Tönn ever thinking seriously?
For me, he seems to be a very adorable lightheaded guy 8-) :D
One planet meets another. Planet 1 says to Planet 2, “Hey you look terrible”. Planet 2 says, “Yes I know. I have Homo Sapiens.” Planet 1 says, “Don’t worry. I had that too and it will soon disappear.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Now,the light-hearted guy Tõnn seems to be near Toulouse in S. France.

:loveshower: Seems his transmitter has come alive again. We will be watching you this year again Tõnn.... we are blessed. :shake:
Emily Dickinson
asteria

Post by asteria »

He may start breeding this year!

Return to “Migration Maps and News”