Tõnn's Travels

Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
Liis

Re: Tõnn's Travels

Post by Liis »

Tõnn made a 90-degree turn at Imatra and the Russian border and went west. According to Birdmap data from April 18 he is some 10 kilometres east of Hämeenlinna (composer Jean Sibelius was born here), up N from Helsinki.
There are a few GSEs nesting in Finland. 1 or 2 birds have strayed to south Sweden at autumn migration. But I thought their territory was somewhere near the Russian border?

Iti still adventuring in Latvia.

PS. But maybe Tõnn is not too wrong after all - see map of Finnish GSE breeding HERE :innocent:
Liis

Post by Liis »

Tõnn is heading at Finland's Baltic coast, GSE Iti still circling around in Latvia, GSE/LSE Luule has crossed the Adriatic to Croatia,Birdmap latest data from April 21.

Last year Iti was just past the Latvian/Estonian border on April 21.
asteria

Post by asteria »

One more transmiter(from Valdur) is down.
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
Liis

Post by Liis »

Tõnn on his way around the Gulf of Bothnia, along the Finnish coast, Iti finally almost at Estonia/Latvia border and Luule in Poland (she will be crossing Tõnn's track soon), as of April 24 on Birdmap.

What is the attraction in Sweden for Tõnn - presuming that he is going there? Good territory, no competition - but no candidates for mate, at least not known; not even LSEs.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Liis Tõnn will keep us all guessing.. :puzzled:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
JanE

Post by JanE »

Welcome back to Sweden Tõnn :thumbs:

(don't care about Liis negativity :mrgreen: )
Liis

Post by Liis »

:shock: He even crossed water to get there according to latest Birdmap.

But, Jan E. - you cannot possibly be wishing for our favourite bird to spend another lonely summer, not to say life - however agreeable the surroundings?

I must admit that I am intrigued and curious about how, when and where a relatively rare and solitary bird like Tõnn finds a mate, particularly the first time.
JanE

Post by JanE »

I looked at the official bird report for Sweden 2010 and the satellite tracking of Tõnn is approved, two whole pages covers his travels :D
"An observation don't need to have been made through binoculars. The important thing is that proper documentation is there. Satellite positions has proved to be very accurate"
:D

Last years observations of GSEs:
2006: 7
2007: 13
2008: 7
2009: 5
2010: 4

-And probably more, it's rather hard to get a GSE accepted, you have to fill in a report describing the bird from beak tip to tail end.
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Actually Tõnn did not cross sea, simply there on the way around the sea are missing proved locations, so the program connects proved locations directly.
I understand very well, what means acceptance of GSE visual observation - different levels of hybridisation make that extremely difficult.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Seems Tõnn is deep into southern Sweden now. :D
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Tõnn is back in the northern part of Sweden (birdmap).

I thought I had posted this earlier today,Thursday :puzzled: Was I dreaming ? :unsure:
Emily Dickinson
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

It seems to me that Tõnn is now in Norway ?
Emily Dickinson
asteria

Post by asteria »

Yes, in the North of Norway.
heidu

Post by heidu »

He is on the way to visit me in west near Bergen :rotf: :nod:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Sorry Heidu, Tõnn is back in N Sweden now.
I think he is searching for a mate. Will he find one :puzzled:
Emily Dickinson
JanE

Post by JanE »

oh.. rodent population have after two very good years crashed in northern Sweden so I hope he moves quickly to the south.
There's a lot of Great Grey Owls and Ural Owls around cities looking for food

There was another one seen in the south with good photos, comments say it was ringed in Slovakia and also that it was earlier seen in Denmark: http://www.artportalen.se/birds/gallery ... d=25695380
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

JanE wrote:oh.. rodent population have after two very good years crashed in northern Sweden so I hope he moves quickly to the south.
There's a lot of Great Grey Owls and Ural Owls around cities looking for food

There was another one seen in the south with good photos, comments say it was ringed in Slovakia and also that it was earlier seen in Denmark: http://www.artportalen.se/birds/gallery ... d=25695380
Is this an adult GSE ? Anyone remember re; colouring etc; ?.. :help: Urmas ?
Emily Dickinson
asteria

Post by asteria »

Tõnn is back in Finland.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

asteria wrote:Tõnn is back in Finland.

:rotf: The wanderlust is still with Tõnn.
Emily Dickinson
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Update from the Birdmap:
The Greater Spotted Eagle Tõnn makes again tricks. Seems like Scandinavian peninsula is too small for him and there he was not succeed to find a mate - now Tõnn tries to have good times in Finland. That is not easy task to find suitable free female GSE also in Finland, so maybe he needs to fly further to Karelia or Russia ... but we will see this in near future.
Thanks to Urmas for the latest news about the wandering Tõnn.I hope he is successful in finding his 'hearts delight'. :rolleyes:
Emily Dickinson

Return to “Migration Maps and News”