Tõnn's Travels

Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
Janne+Ais

Re: Tõnn's Travels

Post by Janne+Ais »

JanE wrote:Some very nice photos of Tõnn in El Hondo: http://www.rarebirdspain.net/arbsr000.htm#Aqucla
Really excellent pics! Thanks!
I also would be glad, if one could free him from his useless backpack. :bow:
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

We visited El Hondo together with Renno, Ülo and local people from Elche University in 6-8 March and one aim was to trap Tõnn. That appeared to be too idealistic, because we did not even see Tõnn those days. Tried to trap one other adult GSE instead, but also not successfully.
And then after we left, Tõnn posed to one of our guides Jana Marco in that beautiful way..

Only disturbing aspect on photo is of course the transmitter on back of Tõnn, not functioning after all!
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

http://www.finesystem.co.uk/birdwatchin ... hondo.html
Tõnn is back in El Hondo since 4th of November and he is not single GSE in this wintering site.
Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

Very, very interesting! Thank you, Urmas!
Will you or someone else try to trap him again?
Brit

Post by Brit »

Great news about Tõnn! :loveshower: Thank you very much, Urmas!
Have a nice day!
Brit
http://www.worldofanimals.eu/
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

I'm happy as well of those news about Tõnn!
We would like to remove useless transmitter or replace it, but there is no funding available to travel to Spain this winter, unfortunately. That needs several days to be on place and arrange everything for trapping beforehand. And still not sure if it will be successful...
Of other hand, as we don't know Tõnns place during summer (possible breeding place), Spain remains only possible place to trap him.
JanE

Post by JanE »

Wonderful news :thumbs: :bounce: :headroll:

In late April there was a report of an adult GSE in northern Norway near the place he was seen last year, but not validated, guess they know more.
Then the bird reporting system changed and the obs disappeard.
Liis

Post by Liis »

Absolutely wonderful! :hi: :D

Thank you, Urmas!
Liis

Post by Liis »

What about Tõnn this summer (2016)?
Any reports at all?
sigge

Post by sigge »

Hi :hi:

Guess not Tönn but an adult GSE anyway in Fyledalen southern Sweden 2016-05-10, it's ringmarked on the right leg and maybe from Estonia? :innocent: :mrgreen:
That place is known for Golden Eagles, not the best company :unsure:
http://artportalen.se/Image/1603099
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

October 6th

:hi:
Great news about Tõnn :loveshower: :loveshower: :loveshower:

After more than two years of playing hide and seek, it is possible to observe Tõnn's migration again. Friends of Tõnn often asked if we have new information, but we didn't. We knew more about his wintering spot, since it is a small place that local bird watchers know (there is also a website about El Hondo's spotted eagles). We installed a transmitter to Tõnn in 2008, when he was still nestling. Transmitter was giving information until the spring of 2014, after that we found Tõnn again on 30th of April in 2016 during spring field work with the Eagle Club. Back then we were not aware of exactly which spotted eagle with transmitter it was, but on the 8th of September we managed to catch Tõnn and identify him. We exchanged the old transmitter for a new and lighter one, and marked him with white plastic ring with a code 7X. Tõnn and his mate raised a chick who also has a ring. We do not know the age or origin of Tõnn's mate since she has no ring. Tõnn might have nested last year already, but it is more likely that this year was his first year - it means that on the 9th calendar year of his life. It is surprisingly late, but since spotted eagle is a rare species, there is not much information gathered about them.
http://birdmap.5dvision.ee/EN/

Tõnn started autumn migration in 3rd of October 2016 and is in Poland near Opole already :D
Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

Really great news! :loveshower:
sigge

Post by sigge »

Wow! Fantastic!!! :thumbs: :rotf: :headroll:

How did you find him and how did you catch him?
Did he breed in Estonia?

A Big Whisky to Urmas et. al to celebrate this :2thumbsup:
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

October 12

Tõnn is now in Germany, near Munich :D
Solo

Post by Solo »

Hellem wrote: ... Tõnn is now in Germany, near Munich :D
October 13
click
Image Image Image
leonia

Post by leonia »

Hellem wrote: ... Tõnn is now in Germany, near Munich :D
Yes, he was, but only for a "one night stand" (alone)! He choosed a forest on the hillslope of the valley of the Brucker Moos. We were lucky enough to get the coordinate-data of it and went there the next morning.

It was a dull morning, some drops of rain were falling when we started walking down the slope at a horse farm. We saw several common buzzards in the valley and a lot of great egrets, but not Tõnn. We finally reached the broad valley ground with a nice small herd of cows (incl. calves and a bull), which is seldom seen in Germany (normaly they are separated). But in the surroundings of this valley there are several ecological working farms (f.e. Hermannsdorfer Landwerkstätten).

While we were looking at the herd all of a sudden Tõnn flew off from the wood at the slope. In one moment he was attacked by at first one, then two carrion crows and a common buzzard. We could follow there flight for about 3-4 minutes.

Than Tõnn was fed up with this enoying thing and headed west, within seconds he was out of sight.

We sent the message of the observation with a pic to Urmas who answered the same evening: yes, it was Tõnn. And his next stop was at the southern side of the Bodensee (Lake Constance) the same evening.

The observation is sent to the German Commission for Rarities in the meantime and can be looked at (incl. foto) at ornitho.de/DE/BY/EBE.

We were very happy and again many thanks to Felis-silvestris who sent us the info with the coordinates. :wave: :thumbs:
Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

leonia wrote: ...The observation is sent to the German Commission for Rarities in the meantime and can be looked at (incl. foto) at ornitho.de/DE/BY/EBE.
Oh please help me, I cannot find it. :unsure:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Thank you, leonia, for your report! I am more than happy that I could be at least a passive part of this sighting, even if at the moment I am not able to be out off-road! Great thanks to Urmas as well for sending the data so I could pass them on

@Janne+Ais - could be that the sighting will be re-checked first?
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

Janne+Ais wrote: Oh please help me, I cannot find it. :unsure:
http://www.ornitho.de/index.php?m_id=54&mid=262291 :wave:
leonia

Post by leonia »

Felis silvestris wrote:Thank you, leonia, for your report! I am more than happy that I could be at least a passive part of this sighting, even if at the moment I am not able to be out off-road! Great thanks to Urmas as well for sending the data so I could pass them on

@Janne+Ais - could be that the sighting will be re-checked first?
This is the topologic quadrant : Bruck [7937_3_55s] / Bruck (BY, EBE).

No, it's not hidden; I have no own log-in there, therefore I am a guest as well and I can see it.

Return to “Migration Maps and News”