Post by alice44 »

Looks like he is moving on.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Is he going back to visit Olga and ame?
Olga

Post by Olga »

Jo UK wrote:Is he going back to visit Olga and ame?
Yes! :laugh:

Tõnn on the map of Finland the 19th April 2011

SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Now T6nn don't touch the squirrels on Squirrel-hill. 8-)
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
asteria

Post by asteria »

If only tree frogs. :laugh:
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
JanE

Post by JanE »

Looks like he moved on to near Närpes in Ostrobothnia.
My sister lives a little bit north of that, I will tell here to keep an eye open on the sky (although she's not the least interested in birds :whistling: )

There is still some sea ice left between Finland-Sweden so I hope he dares to take the jump directly back to Sweden :mrgreen:
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

T6nn was actually a bit northward of last location on map, but we are careful publishing all data - Tõnn could start to breed somewhere, and that place should kept in secret. Would it be in Finland, Sweden or ...
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Urmas wrote:T6nn was actually a bit northward of last location on map, but we are careful publishing all data - Tõnn could start to breed somewhere, and that place should kept in secret. Would it be in Finland, Sweden or ...
....and as usual, T6onn will keep us guessing. :D He has visited all the countries north of Estonia so he has a big choice.!
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Tõnn entered at 28th of April into Norwegian air space... could be interesting to readers from Scandinavia!
Mentioned also in Norwegian bird data base:
http://artsobservasjoner.no/fugler/dagens.asp?artid=209
and in Swedish bird data base:
http://www.artportalen.se/birds/default.asp
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

That was a nice surprice, thank you for letting us know :2thumbsup:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

I see that Urmas wrote "Maybe he is heading for England"
(Wedding bells, love in the air, etc)
Tõnn, can you please go down to France, just hop over the Channel from Calais to Dover, then, and this is important, TURN LEFT ALONG THE COAST
I can meet you at Southampton.

Hmm. Do you think he heard me? - - - -
JanE

Post by JanE »

Welcome back to Sweden Tõnn :wave:
Sorry about the cold wheater, will be a bit better in the end of the week. Usually it rains a lot less here than in Norway anyway :mrgreen:

Another way to see the sighting reports look here: http://www.artportalen.se/fennoscandia_ ... 11&month=4 choose May to see the latest location in northwestern Dalarna

It seems like noone has seen him directly but are just refering to birdmap, "through" or "via", in Finnish Tiira I don't know, seems they turned off both English and Swedish :rolleyes:

I am a bit surprised that a 4k male is shown in breeding season in the Swede system, should be hidden like Golden Eagle is
Liis

Post by Liis »

JanE wrote:Welcome back to Sweden Tõnn :wave:
Sorry about the cold wheater, will be a bit better in the end of the week. Usually it rains a lot less here than in Norway anyway :mrgreen:

Another way to see the sighting reports look here: http://www.artportalen.se/fennoscandia_ ... 11&month=4 choose May to see the latest location in northwestern Dalarna

It seems like noone has seen him directly but are just refering to birdmap, "through" or "via", in Finnish Tiira I don't know, seems they turned off both English and Swedish :rolleyes:

I am a bit surprised that a 4k male is shown in breeding season in the Swede system, should be hidden like Golden Eagle is
Well, yes, but does he have a mate for breeding? Nobody seems to have seen him bringing one along, and chances of finding one in Sweden aren't probably all that great.
So what is the attraction of Sweden?
JanE

Post by JanE »

Yeah, tell me
Three toed woodpecker is now only seen in small nature reserves
White-backed woodpecker is nearly extinct

(sorry for misspelling)
Liis

Post by Liis »

Interesting too, of course. Are Tõnn's instincts only telling him to look for suitable habitats? and what does he judge as suitable: topography? food? good nesting places?

For some birds - colony-living - others of the same kind might be a prerequisite for a good living area; very much loners might see relatives as a nuisance. But all have to mate. To carry on the species is after all said to be the strongest natural instinct. So some warning light should be blinking - empty of other GSEs for a long time / many miles now.
Liis

Post by Liis »

So where to now, Tõnn? Latest report in Swedish Artportalen seems to indicate that he is far up north again, and maybe approaching the Swedish/Finnish border
The observation in Artportalen, May 3, at 19.00
"Eagle with transmitter on back, direction 1 o'clock, passed E4 motorway at Altersund Channel, flew north-west towards Persöfjärden. Description does not verify with certainty that it is Tõnn." (my italics)
No? - But well, yes, there are said to be a number of golden eagles around up there with one or other kind of transmitter, in a rather large project.
EDIT: No, that wasn't Tõnn - not according to Birdmap at least, and Urmas should know. On Birdmap, update May 4, Tõnn is on a tour of northwestern Norway ... Has he gone to visit Mr. Harald Misund?
Looks like Tõnn passed less than 20 km east of Bodö.
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

This observation is removed from Aquila clanga page of Artportalen by now - probably was a Golden Eagle or immature White-tailed Eagle with antenna.

But we don't know exactly, what flightway Tõnn choose in between two known locations - could be over Bodö, a capital of Nordland county...
Seems he has difficulties to find a partner for nesting!
Liis

Post by Liis »

Is Tõnn thinking of going back to Finland?
On latest Birdmap update (May 8) he has moved towards the Baltic sea coast at the narrowest passage in the north, at Kvarken. Picture of the Kvarken archipelago on the Finnish side HERE
Distance between Swedish and Finnish coasts is 150 km, presumably much shorter "water only" stretches with all the skerries and islets included.
Land rise in the area is about 8 mm annually and geologists say that there will be a permanent land path in 2500 years or so. That is, if all the water from the global warming & melting polar regions won't come first ...

May 10 update: No, not Finland, now Tõnn is almost back in his last year's summer area, near Östersund / Storsjön ...
JanE

Post by JanE »

Rather rainy in Scandinavia now, follow the rain here: http://www.smhi.se/en/Weather/2.732/Rainfall-radar

One other GSE has been seen in southern Sweden but it seem to be a young 2K bird not ready for breeding
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

JanE wrote:Rather rainy in Scandinavia now, follow the rain here: http://www.smhi.se/en/Weather/2.732/Rainfall-radar

One other GSE has been seen in southern Sweden but it seem to be a young 2K bird not ready for breeding
What a pity.. :unsure: but maybe T6nn will find the secret place where some are hiding ?
Shhh.. :peek:
Emily Dickinson

Return to “Migration Maps and News”