Migration Map

Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
Urmas

Re: Migration Map

Post by Urmas »

I have bad news - Ahja Crane perished by crossing Mediterranean.
Lets hope that remines of the bird will washed up somewhere on coast...
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

I'm so sorry, Urmas. Poor Ahja. :sad:

I would like to ask also about Raivo. According to the Migration Map, his transmitter has not shown any new location from 25 November. As I remember, in previous seasons, in a similar time, Raivo already approached to his wintering grounds in south Kenya. Have you any news about him? Perhaps from other sources, for example, some observations from Carsten Rohde’s expedition to Israel?
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

We have to be ready for dramatics, if follow the birds life so exactly... Death is the part of nature and of natural selection. In similar cases for me there is still the question - what would be the situation, if the concrete bird was not tagged? Unfortunately we can't check that and should be satisfied with overall rules for tagging. And we hope to get real information, not biased by tag itself.

Raivos transmission day is today and tomorrow morning is clear, if his transmitter sent something to us. Actually, Raivos transmitter is working since 2006 and that is already very good result, as battery inside the tag is not so good anymore and the durable cover of solar batteries is probably not so clean and clear anymore. Also almost every year we lost Raivos signals in Nov-Dec and these appeared again during further flight to Kenia - that is because some feathers of Raivos wings could cover solar panel if Raivo is not flying but walking or standing mostly (like he probably does on fish ponds). So I'm quite calm about Raivo and the similar situation with Priidu after he flew from Darfur to Central-African Republic. Priidus tag is of the same age, though first travelled with Spotted Eagle Teele and 2007 was "overhanded" to Priidu.
I have no direct data about Raivo at the moment. Carsten was in Israel Sept-Oct.

GSE Iti is wintering in the place (Göksü Delta), what is quite known for bird watchers - so if you know some who's going there, maybe is good to inform about to pay more attention to GSEs...
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

:hi: Thank you for your opinion, Urmas. It is comforting.

Indeed, I did not take into account that Raivo is a veteran to wear his backpack. Almost five years for solar panels to be in use is a long time, and they just may already be too weak or discharged. Let's hope that all tagged birds are doing well.
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Just after writing about Iti's wintering place in Göksü Delta, Turkey - I got following information:
http://www.trakus.org/kods_bird/uye/?fs ... &idx=48320

http://www.trakus.org/kods_bird/uye/?fs ... &idx=48319
Brit

Post by Brit »

Thank you, dear Urmas, what beautiful pictures of a beautiful bird!!! Thanks also to the photographer!
Have a nice day!
Brit
http://www.worldofanimals.eu/
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

These are best pictures about Iti!
She is in breeding time very shy and we didn't want ti disturb her trying to take photos.

But if to read these Turkish comments (e.g. with help of translator), the jokes about spy are a bit alarming - not all locals cold take it as joke...
The same with Crane Rasina, who did not send a message since mid-December... there local village people really thought - that bird could be a spy...
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

Thanks Urmas for the beautiful pictures of Iti, and for the links!

It is true that such a threat exists, but let's be hopeful that local people do not think so.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

I have just seen this example of common sense in Saudi Arabia. The vulture is to be freed.

http://blogs.news.sky.com/middleeastblo ... d87c46d4b4
asteria

Post by asteria »

I am already fear of opening that map: each time it turns out that some of birds got disappeared or even perished. :cry:
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
Liis

Post by Liis »

Black storks are seriously moving northwards.
Update from Urmas on March 8 on Birdmap . Oss has passed Iti in Turkey, is 150-200 km NNW of her.
leonia

Post by leonia »

Many thanks to Urmas and all the others from Kotka-Klubi!

Wonderful to see Raivo on the map again too! :D
asteria

Post by asteria »

And Lembit and Toomas clearly got problems with their transmiters.
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Suppose, Toomas had problems itself and transmitter of Lembit is failed. But that is my inner conscience, no facts to support or reject that.

But adult female Greter Spotted Eagle Iti started spring migration at 17th of March, so probably she will be in nest site in about 10th of April (if the journey takes same time as last year).
leonia

Post by leonia »

What do I see? Raivo is heading the trail and is already in Belarus! It will only last some days and he will be back home in Estonia again! :2thumbsup:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

:loveshower: Now,I see from the front page that Raivo has arrived back.!
Welcome Raivo we wish you a happy nesting season. :bounce:
http://www.looduskalender.ee/en
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
asteria

Post by asteria »

Now all the storks have successfully returned home. :D
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Though it is not visible for public - Raivo has built up new nest about 1,5km of old one and one adult was incubating there. Looking from distance it was difficult to see if it was Raivo or female. Ain and Tarmo visited that area and now we need to avoid cuttings in vicinity. That is common forest management area.
Old nest supporting branch was damaged by heavy snow cover on nest during the winter, and needs to repair by us. Then Raivo will have a backup place to nest.

Damaged old nest was probably also reason, why Raivo left breeding area just after returning from migration...
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Finally I managed to update online migration map, all Black Storks are on way to south.
asteria

Post by asteria »

Urmas wrote:Finally I managed to update online migration map, all Black Storks are on way to south.
Except untagged Neli and one of her parents. :laugh:

Return to “Migration Maps and News”