Migration Map

Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
Urmas

Re: Migration Map

Post by Urmas »

Think in past Ospreys migrate over all Mediterranean, but in central part of that (Italy, Sicily, Malta, partly Balcan) there was for long time really complete persecution, and together with contaminants affect, those birds did not survive. Migration instincts might be in general genetically determined, so very few Ospreys migrate now over the middle part of Mediterranean. Also Cyprus is not safe place, where Piret migrates over, but seems not so dangerous (there is one more ring sighting of migrating Estonian Osprey from Cyprus fish pond, if remember right).
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Data in a form suitable for migration map updating we get next morning about previous day as fastest. So last data on map could be of yesterday, not of today...
At the moment (during today) Piret seems to be out of GSM coverage. That is normal for desert without of human settlements. If she will be somewhere in the suitable area, we receive all data in once.
Let's hope she will stay for winter in accessible area...
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Osprey#p00m14h5

this videos are also documents
that the people in Africa have to be informed, that this wonderful birds have to be protected
and their Transmitters are the real demonstration, that they come from so far away countries to spend the wintertime there

:help:
Lunan

Post by Lunan »

Thanks, Urmas and Pedro for information! :wave:
If you would like to support the Eagle Club, the bank account details are:

KOTKAKLUBI (address if needed: Hauka kula, Valgjarve vald, 63406 Polvamaa)
IBAN: EE182200221040359778
BIC: HABAEE2X
Swedbank AS, 8 Liivalaia Street,15040 Tallinn, Estonia

If you like to donate some for specific action, please mention it when you make your donation.
Margossa

Post by Margossa »

Thank you for the all answers at my question and information about Piret.
:bow:
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

The Mystery of Migration

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migratory_bird

in addition
these interesting experiments and informations:

Der Kompass im Schnabel
Wie Zugvögel ihren Weg finden

http://www.wdr.de/tv/quarks/sendungsbei ... voegel.jsp

Gibt es bald keine Zugvögel mehr?
Warum immer mehr Vögel im Winter bei uns bleiben

:book:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Meierlein, pleae will you change these posts to English language? Thanks.
waterlily

Post by waterlily »

meierlein has looked at interesting information about "the mystery of migration" as for example

-compass at the migratory bird's beak
-how migratory birds find their way
-will there be no migratory birds any longer?
-why more and more migratory birds remain with us

thank you, meierlein
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Thank you, waterlily and meierlein. It would be nice to be able to read it! Any translator's here?
If only we could understand the migration "instinct" if that is what it is. There are so many brain functions that we don't understand yet.
waterlily

Post by waterlily »

ok, I will try to outline the most important information. But it will take some time. :hi:

meierlein was as busy as a bee! :wave:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Thanks. I will look forward to that - but I know it will take time.
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

My browser (Chrome) automatically translates to English if I ask it to. Jo, would you like me to do that and post the translations here?
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

That would be a good help to all of us. Thanks.

At the moment we have 1688 members. I don't know what percentage of them can read German and we don't want to exclude anyone.
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

Jo UK wrote:That would be a good help to all of us. Thanks.

At the moment we have 1688 members. I don't know what percentage of them can read German and we don't want to exclude anyone.

I never saw 1688 members in this forum -
but each day I meet several German members with little English and several Dutch also -

and if is someone interested in informations, (s)he will find a way to get them ^^

I have no problem with reading foreign languages in this normally English speaking forum -
it makes my life richer, meeting people from different countries ^^

but the articles contain a quite scientific terminology which needs to be understandingly explained. Do you think chrome will be able to carry out a translation that way?

:unsure:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Haha - I have never seen all 1688 here together - but we know that many more people read this forum, than post to it.
I don't know how Chrome copes with scientific terminology - not too well, I suppose.
meierlein

Post by meierlein »

Jo UK wrote:Haha - I have never seen all 1688 here together - but we know that many more people read this forum, than post to it.
I don't know how Chrome copes with scientific terminology - not too well, I suppose.

:mrgreen:

we better trust in WATERLILY - :2thumbsup:
she is willing to help us with this big work

thank you very much - you good girl :loveshower:

:wave:
waterlily

Post by waterlily »

Summary

Every year migratory birds find their way without any difficulty, mostly choosing the same routes, the same resting places. Gerta Fleissner (Goethe University Frankfurt/Germany) has worked out a new theory.

It is well known that birds orientate themselves by means of the magnetic field of the terrestrial globe which they sense with their eyes.
streams of the liquid earth's core produce a magnetic field. But there is a second organ which is sensitive to the magnetic radiation: microscopic small receptors in their beaks. These receptors are supposed to be much more precise in measuring the direction.

birds feel the magnetic radiation in certain areas within their beaks.

In order to find out these receptors Gerta Fleissner has applied the technique of nuclear particle physics. While experimenting, the particle within the bird's beak have shown
a strong reaction at the outer nerve cord which sends the impulses up to the bird's brain. This additional "compass" was found in almost all birds, even chicken. Of course, it is not comparable with a real compass, for the bird it's just sensuous.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Good work, waterlily. Many thanks.

Now, we have to think of those birds who have damaged beaks. Some have been fitted with prosthetic beaks. How does it affect their migration (those species that migrate.)
If black stork Lenny had lived would his migration have suffered from his beak damage? Maybe we could put a question on Dr. Madis's topic, to ask his opinion.
waterlily

Post by waterlily »

Jo UK wrote:Good work, waterlily. Many thanks.

Now, we have to think of those birds who have damaged beaks. Some have been fitted with prosthetic beaks. How does it affect their migration (those species that migrate.)
If black stork Lenny had lived would his migration have suffered from his beak damage? Maybe we could put a question on Dr. Madis's topic, to ask his opinion.
Interesting question! What happened to lenny? Isn't he still living?
Surely Lenny's beak is not completly damaged. I think and hope that the "compass" within his eyes will do it's job. :unsure:

Return to “Migration Maps and News”