Migration Map

Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
Kukelke

Re: Migration Map

Post by Kukelke »

@ Urmas,

Paul Wildlifewriter made a picture of the GSM coverage at the southeast end of Tiiu's wintering grounds, so yes, it's pretty good:

I'll ask around to see if someone knows someone from Ivory Coast who could tell more, or maybe even could go have a look. If I find out more, I'll let you know.
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

Sunday October 26 seems to have been a lazy day for osprey Tiiu. Some flapping from tree to tree at the southeast end of her wintering grounds (or maybe not all data came through because of the problems with the server on that day, as Urmas told us about).

Tiiu's movements early on October 26, max zoomed in:

Tiiu's position early on October 27; yellow line her movements continued from the picture above. She explored a part which she hasn't visited so far, and possibly caught a fish in one of the ponds there (blue circle):
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

October 29

Osprey Tiiu stayed at the southeastern end of her wintering area the rest of October 27. It looks like she caught a fish some 600 m southeast from the area where she has been until now, then ate it perched in a tree, before flying towards the northwest early on the 28th when the data were sent.

Purple arrow is Tiiu's position on the 27th (see previous post), yellow line her route, blue circle a pond she visited, black arrow where she perched, bird icon where she was on the 28th when the data were sent:

I think the first part of her route (the yellow line) was on the 27th, when she flew back to the area where many of the red lines come together, which is probably where she roosted for the night. The rest of the route, including fishing attempt, would then be in the early hours of the 28th.
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

November 2

Osprey Tiiu hasn't moved on the map the last 4 days, so maybe her transmitter isn't working as it should, or she might have flown to an area where there's no GSM coverage.

There are quite some GSM masts in the southeastern part of her range, but it could be that there are none near the part of the Komoé River which she visited regularly, some 35 km to the northwest, so that no data can be transmitted.
I'll see if I can find out if there are GSM masts near her part of the river.
Riitta

Post by Riitta »

Kukelke wrote:November 2

Osprey Tiiu hasn't moved on the map the last 4 days...
I'm waiting for good news of Tiiu, Kukelke... :dunno:
Good luck by fiinding out the wanted GSM masts. :thumbs:
Paul WLW

Post by Paul WLW »

Kukelke wrote:November 2

Osprey Tiiu hasn't moved on the map the last 4 days, so maybe her transmitter isn't working as it should, or she might have flown to an area where there's no GSM coverage.

There are quite some GSM masts in the southeastern part of her range, but it could be that there are none near the part of the Komoé River which she visited regularly, some 35 km to the northwest, so that no data can be transmitted.
There is an element of luck in all of this. There is a GSM mast near Tiiu's favourite fishing spot because a town (Katimassou) lies just the other side of the river. But if (for example) Tiiu had moved only 20km to the west, there might be no GSM service.

There are many zones with NO cellular coverage at all: To the north of this area is the large Comoe National Park, an important wildlife reserve and World Heritage Site. There are almost no cell masts INSIDE the park because they are not allowed to be constructed.

We must also remember that the GSM service depends on a reliable electricity supply to work and, in West Africa, power outages of several days are by no means unusual.
Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

Kukelke wrote:Osprey Tiiu hasn't moved on the map the last 4 days, so maybe her transmitter isn't working as it should, or she might have flown to an area where there's no GSM coverage.
Can one distinguish between "no new datas came in" and "Tiiu didn't move"?
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

Thanks for the additional info, Paul WLW.

Likely the ponds in the southeast of the area where she has been until now, are already drying out, so I was thinking that Tiiu might have moved to another area, or another stretch of the river, now that the dry season has begun.

-----

@Janne+Ais,

I don't think we, the viewers, can distinguish between "no new data came in" and "Tiiu didn't move" when only looking at the map.
Maybe Urmas can see this, if he has access to all data logs, so he can check for transmitter signals. If a signal was received after the 28th, then this means that Tiiu didn't move. In all other cases it would be difficult if not impossible, I think.

Tiiu wouldn't be the first, nor the last, tracked bird whose signals stopped because a lack of GSM coverage in the wintering area, only to pop up on the radar again once the bird began to migrate north in spring and reached an area with GSM coverage.
All we can do is wait and see.
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

November 4

New data came in, and osprey Tiiu is back on the map. I haven't had a closer look at her movements yet, but we can see that she indeed visited an area much further from her usual range until now, where probably there was no GSM cover.

Here an overview of her recent trip to another part of the Komoé River, some 30 km to the northwest of her usual bend of the river:

More details about Tiiu's travels in next post.
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

I had a closer look at Tiiu's movements, but didn't get any wiser on her whereabouts between the early morning of October 28 and evening of the 31st. No data at all for this period. Just a straight line between her last known position on the 28th and her reappearence on the map November 1.

Tiiu's position at this new stretch of the Komoé River on November 1:

Her position on November 2 (arrow indicates her position on the 1st). It looks like she has made two fishing attempts in the river:

On November 3, Tiiu was back again in this area some 7 km east of her usual part of the river:
Paul WLW

Post by Paul WLW »

IT'S NOT JUST THE AMAZON....

One of the most interesting things (for me) about osprey migrations are the side-lessons that we can pick up while following their movements. During Tiiu's exploration of the river, I spotted this pattern on Google Earth and used the "historical imaging" and other sources to research it.

These two pictures - 11 months apart - show the progress of large-scale timber extraction in a forest area. The new roads are exactly 1000m apart, east-to-west. An area of almost 21 ha has been completely clear-felled and stripped in less than a year. This onging activity is almost certainly illegal, and will result in widespread soil erosion and degradation of the sorrounding jungle.

Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Paul WLW wrote:IT'S NOT JUST THE AMAZON....

One of the most interesting things (for me) about osprey migrations are the side-lessons that we can pick up while following their movements. During Tiiu's exploration of the river, I spotted this pattern on Google Earth and used the "historical imaging" and other sources to research it.

These two pictures - 11 months apart - show the progress of large-scale timber extraction in a forest area. The new roads are exactly 1000m apart, east-to-west. An area of almost 21 ha has been completely clear-felled and stripped in less than a year. This onging activity is almost certainly illegal, and will result in widespread soil erosion and degradation of the sorrounding jungle.
Thank you for your report - and getting us to know the reality - even if not so pleasant!
:cry:
joey

Post by joey »

Dataviz of Honey Buzzard migration
"[...] After wintering in Africa, in Spring 2011 the birds fly back. But en route we see the female lose her way - possibly due to unfavourable winds. After a long journey the male arrives back in the Veluwe forest and waits for her."
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

November 7

New data came in today, so lets have another look at what osprey Tiiu has been up to lately.

After she was in this area 7 km east of the Komoé River early on the 3rd, she flew west to her usual bend of the river again, where she likely was perched in a tree on the river bank:

Tiiu then explored a bit to the northwest of this bend in the river. The area there looks flat and might be flooded still, so I won't rule out that she attempted to fish there. After that she returned and perched once more in a tree on the river bank, before flying to an area to the south where she hasn't been so far (arrows indicate where she perched in trees on the river bank):

Overview of Tiiu's route between November 3 and early November 4:

Early on November 5, when the data was sent, Tiiu was back in the area 7 km east of the river. After zooming in it looks like she roosted in a tree she has been using before (arrow indicates her roost from November 4 to 5):

Overview (the point in the SW where she came from, might indicate that she fished there, as the area is flat and without trees, and possibly still flooded):
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

November 12

Osprey Tiiu was off the radar again for some days, but is back with new data. I don't have much time right now to attempt a detailed analysis, but it's clear that she explored the Komoé River some more; this time towards the southwest where she spent a couple of days (area within blue circle):

Riitta

Post by Riitta »

Kukelke wrote:November 12

Osprey Tiiu was off the radar again for some days, but is back with new data...
Kukelke :hi: , good to read, that Tiiu is back. :nod:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

It has been interesting routes - crooks - Tiiu has made lately around the river Komoé..

But as interesting as Tiiu I have found the Slovenian black stork Francek's surprising route over the Mediterranian Sea to Sahara and further to Niger - he is still in almost Sahara desert ...
http://otroski.rtvslo.si/infodrom/prispevek/2492
He started his migration very late (recorded on the birdmap 8. Aug and started to move southwards 28. Sep) and was not supposed to take that route over Italy/Sicily instead of the one over the Bosphorus. If I understand right, people in Slovenia have been worried about Francek's dangerous route, as many migration birds along that route are hunted for to be food - or just for fun?. So Francek's success to reach western Africa must be seen as a sensation and all the following watchers certainly hold their breath that he also manages to return to Slovenia next spring. Me, too! :thumbs:
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

November 18

Osprey Tiiu lately spent most of her time in the area some 7 km east of the Komoé River. On November 10, 11 and 12 Tiiu visited an area east of the village of Yabouakrou, which is situated about 10 km NW of her most southeasterly range. Until now she only flew by here, but now it seems she has roosted or been eating in some trees there.
She also made a few trips to her usual southeastern corner of her area, but always came back to this area 7 km east of the river.
On November 16 Tiiu made a trip to a place some 200 m west of the river, before returning to the aforementioned favourite spot 7 km east again.

Blue circle = roosting/eating spots near village of Yabouakrou on Nov 10, 11 & 12 - Arrow = trip to west side of the river on Nov 16

@Riita :wave:
Yes, it's good to see her back. We always start to worry when we don't hear from the birds we follow, but usually it's nothing to worry about once they've reached their wintering areas. That is, for experienced adult birds, where it's often just a lack of GSM masts to send data from. It's more worrying when juveniles stop sending data, disappear from the radar, or only send from the same area without any real movements, like what's happening with Finnish satellite tracked juvenile osprey Birgit now, who may have perished or be in trouble, or in the best case isn't moving because she's adapting to the extreme heat in her area (Paul WLW can explain this better than I do): http://koivu.luomus.fi/info/tracking/in ... autumn2014
Riitta

Post by Riitta »

@ Kukelke :wave: ,
thanks for your reassuring words and for the link. :thumbs:
Riitta

Post by Riitta »

@ Kukelke, :hi:
I have seen, that the latest data from osprey Tiiu came in: 28.11.2014.
But I'm not able, to explain the movements - like you did it perfectly. :help:

I hope you are well... :puzzled:

Return to “Migration Maps and News”