Owls Around the World

macdoum

Re: Owls Around the World

Post by macdoum »

alice44 wrote:In the little Dutch owls
http://www.beleefdelente.nl/steenuil
this video 31-05: Lijster ligt dwars
is quite the sight. It is a little bit much, but seeing the tiny owl carry this huge prey (maybe a starling or a thrush) is impressive.
Alice, thats impressive.. :rotf: I am very glad the 'prey' was already dead.!!
What a struggle to get it through the 'doorway'. :mrgreen:
The owlets were standing way back in fear...
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

About the Barn Owlets...........I have finally remembered where I heard THAT noise before..
Those huge lorrys,or trains in the station ? When they let the air out of the break-system..........Same sound. :innocent: :whistling:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

macdoum wrote:About the Barn Owlets...........I have finally remembered where I heard THAT noise before..
Those huge lorrys,or trains in the station ? When they let the air out of the break-system..........Same sound. :innocent: :whistling:
It is somehow threatening.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I just stumbled on this article
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8004426.stm
its about the owl program in Israel. :rolleyes:
I think it is the information we have seen but it is nice to see in the general news. Where more people can hear about the value of birds to farmers.
Muscovy Duck

Post by Muscovy Duck »

macdoum wrote:...
Alice, thats impressive.. :rotf: I am very glad the 'prey' was already dead.!!
What a struggle to get it through the 'doorway'. :mrgreen:
The owlets were standing way back in fear...
Which was soon replaced by the joy of a family dinner... :D
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Today on Beleef I saw a video of" The one that got away" very lucky prey. :nod:
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

macdoum wrote:Today on Beleef I saw a video of" The one that got away" very lucky prey. :nod:
The Kicker that Survived (01-06: kikker-survival) or another one?
My dutch friend comes over for knitting tonight -- nope she is gone to a wedding. Next time she comes over I will make her translate things for me :blush: although as she is not a bird watcher so she has to guess at some of the bird names.

English and Frisian are meant to be closely related and a few Dutch words sort of look like English words -- but that can be embarrassingly wrong sometimes.
Bosuil

Post by Bosuil »

alice44 wrote: My dutch friend (..) Next time she comes over I will make her translate things for me (...)

English and Frisian are meant to be closely related and a few Dutch words sort of look like English words -- but that can be embarrassingly wrong sometimes.
Alice, and everybody here interested in the "Steenuil"/Little Owl (and the other bird-cams at that Dutch site): some young bird enthousiasts who have set up a fan forum last year around Beleef de Lente and other webcams, like the Loodus webcams, are busy with an English section there, that will have translations of the daily logbook entries. As soon as it is open, we will let you know.

Oh, and a hint: if you see a Dutch bird name you donot recognise, search for it in Dutch wikipedia, then pick up the Latin/scientific name, then change wikipedia to your own language and search again.

Edit: forum is in opening stages, you can already take a look here: here and here here
Bosuil

Post by Bosuil »

Meanwhile, being among owl enthousiasts, I thought I'd pass on yet another Barn Owl webcam (yeah, I know, there is no end to our addiction ;-) ), stream here.

Screen shot June 3

It is in Cornwall, UK - I haven't checked if it has been mentioned here yet. There's 3 owlets, very different in size, as they all hatch 2 days apart (we have another true "Tiny" here), the nest is in the early stages still and it is just amazing how they manage in their own phase of life.

Clip: Image
where "Tiny Barny" gets presented a huge meal, and after sheer endless patience of Mum (this private feeding session was over 30 min.!), finally swallows a still rather large chunk of mouse.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Thank you Bosuil, no we never have too much of Owlcams.! :hi:
I have just seen ?Tinybarn being fed too.
Yes, a patient Mom-owl. :thumbs:
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

While I was watching Tiny Barny was eating on his own. Poor little mite just smashing and smashing the mouse up and down, even leaning on his siblings. They made no attempt to take the mouse or disturb him but let him lean on them as he worked the mouse.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Hello, Alice,Besuil and M.D and all the Owlfriends..
Kenny posted today 5th June in 'our' Tawny Owl webforum an article on Owls.
Its beautiful, there are photos and a video in a ?newspaper article.
Please go and looksee.!
Keep your hankercheif handy.......for a moment I thought they were OUR owls. :rolleyes: :wave:
Emily Dickinson
Bosuil

Post by Bosuil »

For all the fans of the Little Owl / Steenuil of the Dutch site Beleef de Lente:

Soon today, at 10:30 AM, the owlets will be ringed and weighed, you may follow it "live" at the webcam stream http://www.beleefdelente.nl .

As announced earlier, check for English translations of the logbook entries and video clip titles here.
In due time, older entries will also be added.
Reptile

Post by Reptile »

I very much want to download video from http://www.beleefdelente.nl/steenuil
Would you please tell me how to do it
unp

Post by unp »

This is possible though not in a simple and obvious way. The problem is to find out whether the site owners allow downloading their videos. They might have chosen this method of streaming to discourage copying. Or they might have done so for some other reason and not actually object to their videos being downloaded, say, for personal use. I couldn't find this information at http://www.beleefdelente.nl; on the other hand, I don't know Dutch...
mei2k

Post by mei2k »

Little owls are almost ready to explore the world :shake: Went out of their box and are looking outside very excited!
Reptile

Post by Reptile »

unp wrote:This is possible though not in a simple and obvious way. The problem is to find out whether the site owners allow downloading their videos. They might have chosen this method of streaming to discourage copying. Or they might have done so for some other reason and not actually object to their videos being downloaded, say, for personal use. I couldn't find this information at http://www.beleefdelente.nl; on the other hand, I don't know Dutch...
Thank you. I am in despair. Falcons have grown up and fly. Coming soon will close the page, but I do not have any of their records !!(((( Site http://www.beleefdelente.nl/slechtvalk
can not open the page where you can ask a question (((The Forum is not a (((Or open or an error
frithjof

Post by frithjof »

Reptile wrote: Thank you. I am in despair. Falcons have grown up and fly. Coming soon will close the page, but I do not have any of their records !!(((( Site http://www.beleefdelente.nl/slechtvalk
can not open the page where you can ask a question (((The Forum is not a (((Or open or an error
Hello Reptile

I know that the video's of last year were on the site till the new season started.
I can log in on their page so i will ask the question for you.
Do you only want the video's of the falcon peregrines??
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Aren't the falcons on the ledge (balcony) cute! Especially when they come up to the camera to give it the eye! :loveshower:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

The Little Dutch Owls are spending time in the hallway -- looking out at the world.

Return to “Owls”