Owls Around the World

frithjof

Re: Owls Around the World

Post by frithjof »

For everyone who is interested in de dutch webcams Beleef de lente.
They are closing the live-stream cams on 30 june :cry:
They expect that al the birds have leave their nests by then.

All the video's stay on the site so we can watch them. :D
For downloading this video's somebody told me to use real player.
Bosuil

Post by Bosuil »

It's not easy being the youngest in a Barn Owl family - first you've got to wait your turn, the larger ones grab the first preys that are "delivered", then when you get one and aren't disturbed, being an Owl, you've got to swallow it whole!

Clip is from June 11, 2009, 0:30 AM UK time, right after Ma brought the mouse:

http://tinyurl.com/Nr3WithPrey
unp

Post by unp »

The link given in post viewtopic.php?p=40159#p40159 above is very interesting. The direct link to English translations is http://www.genietvandelente.nl/viewforum.php?f=59.

After some digging at beleefdelente, found this link http://www.evenementgemist.nl/mortel/. It gives four views of the chicks' abode including what can be called the paddling pool - a flat roof safe for early flying exercises (wish I had found this link a few days ago) - and the history of the nest below.

Latest developments can be followed at
http://perigrines.nl/forumtest/viewtopi ... start=2775 (the text is in Dutch but snapshots and videos are self-explanatory). The tower itself and surroundings can be seen at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fmX1EdSuqU (and other videos by ahennen).

Interestingly, peregrine chicks don't display any aggression towards each other, some tug-of-war bouts during feedings at the most. Kestrel chicks' behavior (in Muttenz) is similar, meaning no mutual aggression, a spectacular difference being the special technique of protecting their trophy with their wings after grabbing a piece and turning their back on siblings. Also, after being robbed smaller chicks don't give up but continue maneuvering for food.

Having seen the peregrine forum and YouTube videos, I believe now that beleefdelente is not against downloads (would like to hope I'm not wrong). Real Player (freeware basic version) does capture stream and clips. Another way is to use VideoCacheView to retrieve clips from the browser cache and convert them to .wmv files.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Thanks for help finding the English commentary/information. For some reason I simply cannot find it.
The history of the peregrine nest was especially interesting.

At this moment all the Little Dutch Owls are hanging out in the "hallway," well two are out the door taking a closer look at the world. Somebody is going to jump or get pushed anytime now. There is one little one at the back that keeps pushing forward -- burrowing under the rest of them so that he too, can see the big world. Owls are so cute.

Looks like maybe one jumped while I was out in the garden. Ooops no, I think there are still 4, but they can hide in plain sight.
Reptile

Post by Reptile »

frithjof wrote: Hello Reptile

I know that the video's of last year were on the site till the new season started.
I can log in on their page so i will ask the question for you.
Do you only want the video's of the falcon peregrines??
Hello)))
I downloaded the clips from yutub. This is not the same clips that were recorded at Beleefe de lente. But at least something. Some of the observers I was devastated))). I can not understand-how else to download.
Reptile

Post by Reptile »

unp wrote:Interestingly, peregrine chicks don't display any aggression towards each other, some tug-of-war bouts during feedings at the most. Kestrel chicks' behavior (in Muttenz) is similar, meaning no mutual aggression, a spectacular difference being the special technique of protecting their trophy with their wings after grabbing a piece and turning their back on siblings. Also, after being robbed smaller chicks don't give up but continue maneuvering for food.
Yes! It is very interesting and unusual. I was surprised. Video Quartet is very nice, everything in place like real brothers.
Yesterday, ate chicken, some of the farmers in the pocket)

Alice44, It seems to me that the owls are growing 2 times faster than the Estonian owls. Feed them more and better
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Yes, I have just been watching the Litle owls at Bleef de lente.
Saw the four , one being fed and then the others protesting and impatient.
I went a moment to the kitchen and couldn't believe my eyes there was only one left. :puzzled:
I thought to look at cam 2 and there were the other three owls. :chick:
Just like 'our owls' they were outside ,two at the 'door' ? ledge ? and one cleaning its feathers..!! BTW..
I always have the problem...when I watch a video there I have to 'slide' the image to try and see. Same tonight when I switched to cam2 . One image in front of the other ?? Am I doing something wrong ?
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I do not know about sliding the image but it takes for EVER to switch between cams.

The thing about these Little Owls is that they seem to all take turns being brave and looking out and then experiencing a fit of panic. Not like Maxi who was always bravest.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

The first of the little owls has flown the coop. I have watched the video several times and can hardly see it. But that is what the translations says and I only see the three owls now -- currently all in their nest and busily pecking and cleaning one another (and sleeping). They are so cute.

I gather the owls and the Kestrel are or were nesting in the same building. I would love to see a photo of the babies out in the wild.

macdoum

Post by macdoum »

:hi: Alice,
Just looked now and I can only see two owlets 'ON THE RUNWAY' !!( and still cannot connect to the cam 2 exept by sliding the image again :puzzled: )
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Still 2 -- both in the nest box. Since I was out all day I was afraid they might all be gone.

Later
The two remaining Owls are out sitting on the ledge side by side. I bet they are sooo cute from the outside. I wonder if their siblings are encouraging them to come out.
Bosuil

Post by Bosuil »

If you want to see both cam images of the Little Owl, try here : (a forum member made this so we could watch both cams simultaneously + also write observations while keeping the cams in view! Leave a note on the guestbook on his site or mail him if you appreciate it. ;-) ).
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Bosuil wrote:If you want to see both cam images of the Little Owl, try here : (a forum member made this so we could watch both cams simultaneously + also write observations while keeping the cams in view! Leave a note on the guestbook on his site or mail him if you appreciate it. ;-) ).
It is quite cool.

And now there is but one and it is nervous about looking out to see what happened!

I went a little over board on the captures -- because they are so darned CUTE!

This is after his sibling has left and he is so nervous about getting back to the door and peeking out.

Later the Last Little Owl (still at home) being fed on the porch.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Thanks Bosuil for the tip. :hi:
Tonight I see only one..
Thank you Alice for the pics. :bow:
I am afrais we are going to say GOODBYE again to the little Owls,soon. :slap:
...and then WHERE will we go ? :help:
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Still one last Little Owl in the nest. I have seen him fed several times and he still seems nervous when he goes off to the doorway but I think he is getting lonely.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

alice44 wrote:Still one last Little Owl in the nest. I have seen him fed several times and he still seems nervous when he goes off to the doorway but I think he is getting lonely.
At this time it looks like the Beleef 'TINY' is thinking about take-off ? :cry:
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

The Last Little Owl is still at home
(a timid little creature -- watching the video where the 3rd owl leaves the Last one jumps back and looks so nervous about the outer world)
Here is the Last Little Owl peeking out of the nest box at a parent who was delivering food.

The parent refused to enter the nest box. It called and called until the Last Little Owl came out. :rolleyes:
Bosuil

Post by Bosuil »

macdoum wrote:I am afrais we are going to say GOODBYE again to the little Owls,soon. :slap:
...and then WHERE will we go ? :help:
To the Cornwall Barn Owls? Right now, the 2 largest ones putting on quite a show, exercising their wings, focussing.

And do stop by the Israeli Barn Owls, while they're still around, that's to say, 3 of the 5 - they are a remarkable family!
Bosuil

Post by Bosuil »

alice44 wrote:Here is the Last Little Owl peeking out of the nest box at a parent who was delivering food.The parent refused to enter the nest box. It called and called until the Last Little Owl came out. :rolleyes:
Funny that you saw that, Alice! The night before, LLO had just decided to go back inside, his head was through the entrance hole, when a parent arrived with a large earthworm.
He turned around, grabbed and ate the worm, all hanging in there.

At this moment, s/he is still home and looking right at us (inside webcam) - or rather, through us - the way owls, birds of prey focus....
alice44

Post by alice44 »

The LLO is calling and calling. It has been in the nest box and I was beginning to get worried. But he is now out on the porch -- way out, oops back in. I think the cars driving by scare him. And yesterday (my time -- maybe early this morning) I saw a pigeon on the porch and the LLO scared inside the nest box. He seems to run/flap into the box whenever there is noise or movement outside.

Return to “Owls”