Owls Around the World

ame

Re: Owls Around the World

Post by ame »

the first owlet has made its virgin flight, apparently by accident. it's said in Helsingin Sanomat today that one of the owlets swayed off the roof and managed glide more or less controlled down in the middle of the street Mikonkatu in front of Forum-mall in downtown Helsinki yesterday morning, April 18th. here in the pages of city-maganize Vartti there are some pictures. they are in an un-logical order though. i think that the logical order would be 3, 1, and 2.
http://omakaupunki.hs.fi/paakaupunkiseu ... i_katolta/

owlet landed in the middle of the street (taken by some passer-by)

and another picture of the owlet in the street, also taken by someone passing by, published in the web-page of the newspaper Iltasanomat:

after ringing (photo by Tapio Salonen)

back on the roof (photo by Tapio Salonen)

the story tells that the security guards of the mall caught the owlet and put it in a cardboard box. then they called a member of the city-eagleowl-working group Tapio Salonen of the Ornitholocical Society Tringa to come and take care of the owlet. it was banded and its feet and wings checked that they weren't injured in any way. after that the owlet was lifted back on the roof.
ame

Post by ame »

the ringing was such an interesting event that also the Finnish TV has reported in their web-pages. there are more pictures of the owlet:
http://yle.fi/alueet/helsinki/2011/04/f ... 26403.html
ame

Post by ame »

hip hey! i found a video of the owlets! :headroll:
it's posted by huruukkeli in the Y-tube on Apr 17th. i think this person is our member Hali. :wave:
i hope you don't mind if i post the video here for you. :innocent:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

ame wrote:hip hey! i found a video of the owlets! :headroll:
it's posted by huruukkeli in the Y-tube on Apr 17th. i think this person is our member Hali. :wave:
i hope you don't mind if i post the video here for you. :innocent:
What a lovely fluffy-furry ball of owl. I hope his Mamma found him and continues the upbringing of this lovely owl...is it the same owl that we have already seen reports of ?
:D
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
ame

Post by ame »

yes, they are the same set of three owlets. Dewey, Huey and Louie... :laugh:

their Momma has been constantly keeping an eye on them on the highest rooftop there. fortunately eagleowls aren't as fierce in protecting their younga s Ural owls.... :D
ame

Post by ame »

i looked for more videos of the eagleowlets in Helsinki city-centre and foun this. it's recorded on April 15th and posted by Cityhuuhkaja. :wave:
there one owlets make a little flight exercise.
ame

Post by ame »

the second owlet in the city-eagleowl-triplet has been ringed after a semi-successful flight in downtown Helsinki in the early evening yesterday, around 18 (6 pm). this litlle owlet flew across the street Mannerheimintie and landed on a label of a fastfood restaurant.
Image Photo by a passer-by

Image Photo copyright Mikko Rantanen

it was fished in hand net of a firefighter standing the ladder of a fire engine.
Image Photo copyright Raimo Ganberg

ImagePhoto by a passer-by

ImagePhoto copyright Maarit Ajalin

on the ground the owlet was ringed, put in a box and lifted back on to the home-roof. the operation was witnessed by hundreds of spectators.
ame

Post by ame »

i found another video uploaded in Y-tube by Huruukkeli. :wave:
unfortunately it doesn't say anywhere when this was recorded but i guess it has been on Apr 17th like the previous recording.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

These owlets are both handsome and cute.

I have sort of been thinking about this problem.

I have been thinking about the peregrine falcons in Winnipeg (there is a cam that runs during their relatively short nest period) (I was thinking about them because a one of the youngsters from past clutch was just killed by a plane in Texas :cry: ). If all goes well, when the falcons first fledge they fly to the roofs of lower buildings, but just in case volunteers patrol the streets to protect them if they land in the street or fly into a building or some other terrible thing.

I was thinking how lucky owls were as they can climb up the roof bark of their tree -- BUT of course this is not true of urban owls. What a challenge!
ame

Post by ame »

tawny owl chicks may leave the nest hollow before they can properly fly. then they wander around the surrounding wood, climbing the trees and look like little goblins. climbing up the nest tree isn't even necessary for owls that nest on ground, like these eagleowls. the city-owls have more difficult terrain, though. :D

news update from Helsinki city-owls. an eagleowl parent attacked a mittelspitz-dog on a leash on Friday morning at 7.30, i.e. yesterday morning. it strick the dog once and was trying to hit a second time. the young woman walking the dog managed to protect it. the dog was not physically hurt but badly startled.

the eagleowl's motivs aren't exactly known. it may have been hunting but it may have also felt that its chicks were threatened. eagleowls have been reported attacking dogs earlier, too. one previous case took place in Kuopio, Eastern Finland, in 2009. then an eagleowl managed to even lift up a jack-russel terrier abit but dropped it. the dog was on a walk on leash in the evening.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

There is a report of Owl cams on this thread both Barn Owl and Tawny Owsl' nests;
http://www.heliganwild.com/webcams

I tried but didn't stay long enough to find out how they work (very late here . :mrgreen: )
:wave: :offtobed:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
ame

Post by ame »

the eagleowlets continue their flying exercises in downtown Helsinki.

yesterday, on Easter-Monday one of the owlets flew to the Sanomatalo-building and landed on the doorstep. it was apparently tired after the flight because it was an easy catch for the voluntary firefighter who came to catch it together with a guard. the owlet was put in a box and was taken back to the Forum-mall's roof. "catching the owlet was not stressing, for this was not the first owl-gig." commented the firefighter calmly. i wonder what the owlets think when their every attemp to leave home ends up in the same way: in a box and back home.... :whistling:

today afternoon one of them landed in the street Mannerheimintie and was then admired and photographed by dozens of passers-by before the guards of the Forum-mall came and fished it with a handnet, put it in a box and took the owlet back to the homeroof. the two siblings of the owlet followed the development of the situation from the rooftop of Forum.
Image picture by Mikko Knuuttila from Helsingin Sanomat
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Well, I hope all this boxing comes out okay for them
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

ame wrote:the eagleowlets continue their flying exercises in downtown Helsinki.

yesterday, on Easter-Monday one of the owlets flew to the Sanomatalo-building and landed on the doorstep. it was apparently tired after the flight because it was an easy catch for the voluntary firefighter who came to catch it together with a guard. the owlet was put in a box and was taken back to the Forum-mall's roof. "catching the owlet was not stressing, for this was not the first owl-gig." commented the firefighter calmly. i wonder what the owlets think when their every attemp to leave home ends up in the same way: in a box and back home.... :whistling:

today afternoon one of them landed in the street Mannerheimintie and was then admired and photographed by dozens of passers-by before the guards of the Forum-mall came and fished it with a handnet, put it in a box and took the owlet back to the homeroof. the two siblings of the owlet followed the development of the situation from the rooftop of Forum.
Image picture by Mikko Knuuttila from Helsingin Sanomat
This is becoming quite a game.. :laugh: Poor owlets...nowhere to fledge to. :slap:
I can imagine the firefightes reaction when the call comes.."O.K fellas..the owls are at it again..c'mon.!
The onlookers must be quite bemused.!
Apparently the siblings too are watching to see if this one is brought back too.! Maybe they are taking bets up there. :rotf:
Emily Dickinson
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

:D Macdoum! :rotf: :mrgreen: I think you are right!

These owls are so cute. How can they be called eagle-owls? They look like little long-haired lapdogs. :laugh:
Kitty KCMO
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Kitty KCMO wrote::D Macdoum! :rotf: :mrgreen: I think you are right!

These owls are so cute. How can they be called eagle-owls? They look like little long-haired lapdogs. :laugh:
I was thinking exactly that
ame

Post by ame »

alice44 wrote: I was thinking exactly that
"little"??!

i can imagine that if i had one sitting in my lap while i'm sitting on a chair with my back straight up-right the owlet would be looking in my eyes at the same horizontal level. :shock: :laugh:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

ame wrote: "little"??!

i can imagine that if i had one sitting in my lap while i'm sitting on a chair with my back straight up-right the owlet would be looking in my eyes at the same horizontal level. :shock: :laugh:
:shock: ~~~~ So big ? ~~~~.LOL

Alice I borrowed one of your smilies
Emily Dickinson
ame

Post by ame »

this several days old picture of the owlets in Helsinki, but they are so cute, that i'll post it anyway. :innocent:
this is apparently the youngest of the owlets and the last one of them taking a flight exercise out from the home roof. this owlet dropped softly in the middle of pedestrian crossing in the street Mannerheimintie on Apr 24th.
Image Picture C: Kari Soilevaara

the guard from the Forum mall stopped the traffic, put the owlet in a box again and took it back to the roof. a brave girl! :headroll:
Image Picture C: Kari Soilevaara
this news was published in the website of YLE News on Apr 25th. (YLE is the Finnish TV company corresponding to BBC)

here are some more of Kari Soilevaara's pictures of the owlets:
http://www.tarsiger.com/gallery/index.p ... cies=26530
i don't know why i can't see them larger now....? i first saw one big picture but now they are only thumb-size...?
:puzzled:
-EDIT: hit the small picture with the left mouse button. then you'll be able to see the big pictures.

now i found a catalogue of Kari Soilevaara's pictures in the tarsiger-collection:
http://www.tarsiger.com/images/Soiska/
the eagle owl-pictures are the picture files whose name begin with "bubo" and then there's the picturedate as the end.
ame

Post by ame »

i found a video of the capture operation of one of the owlets. the link was in the webpages of Tringa, the ornithological society of Helsinki region.
this video uploaded by EagleOwl321 also shows how the flying exursion began. thank you! :wave:

and here's another which is uploaded in Youtube by electr1x. thank you! :wave:

on Tringa's pages the posts are unfortunately in Finnish but they contain a lot of pictures.
http://www.tringa.fi/fi/foorumi/func,vi ... tstart,80/

Return to “Owls”