Owls Around the World

macdoum

Re: Owls Around the World

Post by macdoum »

Ame,Thank you for closure on that owl family. Such a pity the male died.
? not enough mice in Helsinki,maybe.
I hope the remainder of that family will fly away to the countryside where they face less dangers.
I wish them a long life. :wave:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
ame

Post by ame »

in the article the was no speculation of the cause of death of the male but i don't think it was starvation (i don't think that's possible in any city). it's more likely that the male had collided with something like his daughter. birds fly against windows or antennae or something like that. a city is such an unnatural environment for them (sigh...)

it's a pity that he died, but, on the other hand, every place would be swarming with owls in the end (like mice and voles) if there weren't mortality, too. i'm pretty convinced that their territory was so good that sooner or later another olw family will be raised there or somewhere nearby. city rabbits are not easily going to be extinct! :thumbs: ..nor city-rats. :whistling:
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Ohhh, how sad to hear the papa owl may have died, & the sad news about the little female owlet. But nature has its ways, I suppose, & it is natural that such things happen. Thank you for updating us on this, Ame.
Kitty KCMO
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

:wave:
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

I think I saw five eggs
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Yes, it looks like eggs! :laugh:
Kitty KCMO
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

Yes, six now
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

ImageImage
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

:loveshower:
FIRST little owlet
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

Feeding and I saw two little owlets
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

ImageImageImageImage
ame

Post by ame »

in yesterday's issue of the newspaper Helsingin Sanomat there was an article about the male of the eagleowl family which raised three young eagleowls in downtown Helsinki last spring. the male of this family was found dead in last October and now the cause of death has been found out: it was an herpes infection caught from presumably a pidgeon which it had eaten.

the article says that the male in question was ringed as a nestling in 2006 in Eastern Helsinki area. it was found dead on Oct 26th on the roof of Hotel Arthur in Eastern Helsinki (but very close to down-town Helsinki). during the nesting last spring the numbers in the rings of the male were not readable but the way they were attached and the wearing marks on the rings of the dead bird matched the marks that were photographed during last spring's nesting so that it is very likely that the male found dead was indeed the father of the eagleowl family which nested in downtown Helsinki last spring.

the cause of death was found to be an infection of herpes virus, possibly caught from a pidgeon which the owl had eaten. this is a new type of cause of death caused by the urban living style of these eagleowls: in wild nature it would not have been possible.

here at the webpage of Tringa.fi you can find a story of the eagleowls in Helsinki written by a person who followed closely the life of the eagleowl family last year and reported it on the webpages of Tringa, the ornithological society of Helsinki:
http://www.tringa.fi/fi/foorumi/func,vi ... start,144/
the summary is there in English even though the pages there are usually in Finnish.
thank you Marja Saarinen for the summary! :wave: (i suppose you can ask for more information directly from her at marjalintu@kolumbus.fi)

the female of the family has been heard calling at her territory during the winter and it is possible that she will find a new mate there for the nesting season which is about to begin. let's keep our fingers crossed! :2thumbsup:
Bosuil

Post by Bosuil »

For the former friends of Klaus and Klaara!

Tawny Owl in the Netherlands (webcam, but no stream yet, only photo's and clips, text in Dutch):

click here for page with photo's

Funny picture with head turned back 180 degrees
Bosuil

Post by Bosuil »

Tawny Owl now with webcam - in the Netherlands. There are 3 eggs.

stream = http://nestkastlive.nl/bosuil/

macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Bosuil wrote:Tawny Owl with webcam - in the Netherlands. There are 3 eggs.

stream = http://nestkastlive.nl/bosuil/

:peek: Happy Birthday Bosuil :chick:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Bosuil

Post by Bosuil »

Thanks, macdoum!

picture of the 3 eggs:

macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Bosuil...you have lots of Birthday greetings on the Birthday page;
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=314&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=180
Emily Dickinson
Bosuil

Post by Bosuil »

Thx macdoum, had never been in that part of the forum.

FYI - I only now read when the Dutch Tawny Owl laid her eggs. The first (of the 2) was laid March 1. She started incubating right away, though not consistently. Anyway, with an incubation period for these owls of 28-30 days, hatching time is very near!

I'm sure the owner of the nestbox and the people of NestkastLive would welcome "overseas" webcamviewers or at least those in other time zones to keep an eye during "our night" (and the owls' day) - e.g., in the chat on the site I read that it wasn't clear whether the male had brought food during the past night.
You may also post observations in the chatroom - English will be no problem.

Some more info: during the past 2 years, Tawny Owls have nested there succesfully. The nestbox is designed for Tawny Owls.
Bosuil

Post by Bosuil »

Dutch Tawny Owls have a hatch! The owlet was first seen about an hour ago:

clip of feeding (made by Leo Ceelen, who installed the nestbox):
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Seems that hatchings are going well. I watched a long time the past few days but nothing ever happened and I got bored. :rolleyes:
Maybe I had better look more now. :wave:
Emily Dickinson

Return to “Owls”