Steenuil ~ Little Owl ~ on Beleef de Lente

Bosuil

Re: Steenuil ~ Little Owl ~ on Beleef de Lente

Post by Bosuil »

mei2k wrote:OK I found the second article, it says about some field activity - people who are in charge of the Steenuil stream were checking the other nests on their research territory. The last clutch was on 21 of May, they found a chick of 8-9 days old. The earliest resulted in one chick who was lively and trying to fly, over 30 days of age. They found one empty nest, the chick from which must have been 18 days old, but they didn't find him there; they didn't know the reason. The very first clutch (don't know which exactly) they've never found. The nesting season is over.
Translation almost 100%! Kudo's!
The blog is maintained by bird-ringers who also write the logbook posts at the BdL Little Owl forum. In the blog, they report their ringing and nestcheck activities of their research area.
The part of the 2nd text:
Veel 30+ jongen en ook al veel uitgevlogen. (...)
Op de valreep helaas ook nog een mislukt nest. Eigenlijk hadden er jongen in moeten zitten van een dag of 18, maar de kast was geheel leeg. Altijd weer lastig vast te stellen wat daar gebeurd is.
Op een andere plek nog een jong van 8-9 dagen oud. Teruggerekend is hier het eerste ei pas op 21 mei gelegd. Daarmee is het de laatste van dit seizoen. Helemaal uitsluiten dat het een vervolglegsel is kunnen we niet. Het eerste legsel hebben we echter nooit gevonden.
translates into:
We found many chicks over over 30 days old, many already fledged. (...)
Unfortunately, at closing time we also found a failed nest. Actually there should have been chicks from about 18 days old, but the nest box was totally empty. Hard to guess what happened.
At another place (nestsite) we found a chick of 8-9 days old, the egg must then have been laid on May 21. That's the latest (date of egg laying) of this season (in the research area of the ringers). We cannot know 100% sure that it is a 2nd clutch - we never found a first clutch.
Bosuil

Post by Bosuil »

mei2k wrote:The first article gives common information about the first chick who flew away. He was ringed, he has to hide somewhere after leaving the nest; chicks rather often die during first weeks out and these researchers are studying causes of deaths - the most often are drowning and getting stuck (somewhere? I don't know what is veedrinkbakken)
Veedrinkbak = trough, any structure/container/sort of tub that contains water for animals. In the blog, it is advised to put a piece of wood (or plastic) in the water, so that when a bird accidentally ends up in a trough with water, it may try to climb on).

This should have helped.

This worked perfectly. (Photo's from the blog.)
Bosuil

Post by Bosuil »

mei2k wrote:Why did they shut down all the cameras on BdL??? Does anybody know? :shock: :faint:
Mei2k, I donot know the whole story, but like last year, BdL broadcasts the camstreams and keeps the forums open - as originally announced - from March 1 till June 30 (or actually, July 1, 8 AM). In the 2 earlier seasons, they started April 1 and ended July 31.

There was a petition over at the BdL Barn Owl forum to keep the cams open till the owlets would fledge (I added a suggestion to close the cams of the Great Tit (empty) and the Common Kestrel (Stock Doves instead) and even the Nuthatch (empty but for the Woodpecker who came to sleep at night), thereby saving $$ on bandwidth and server use etc., but alas, VBN (Dutch Bird Protection Society that runs the BdL site) didnot change their original plans - it was too expensive.

In any case, all the video clips remain on the site (just click the bird pic's) and also the logbook texts will remain visible. However, the forums close (and that was one among many reasons to start the site Geniet van de Lente.
mei2k

Post by mei2k »

Bosuil, thank you for correction and new information!
Mariya

Post by Mariya »

As I understand from the article about our little owls, that the first, which departed - vanished. And ornithologists were unable to detect it. Right? Not in vain the owl flew twice a day with food. But it is hoped that with him everything is in order and in the future we learn of their fate in the articles.
I never thought that in such a small basin sink birdies. Thanks for the photo - uchtu for the future. We are now hot, and I plan to put your bird on villa basin of water. Although we place water - a lot of ditches. But I feed them on the site.
Mariya

Post by Mariya »

mei2k wrote: Actually I find Dutch rather difficult, very strange language:)
Yes Interesting language - a mixture of English with a German. I guess this is about how our Slavic - Ukrainian, Belarusian. :rolleyes:
mei2k

Post by mei2k »

Awful news :cry:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

From The Beleef de Lente website I just found this clip;
my title would be Mrs Owl and her scared husband

See here:
http://www.vogelbescherming.nl/vogels_k ... n_het_jaar
I would agree that one clip tells all the story from the last nesting.. :rotf:
Well,that dove in the hallway is twice the size of The Little Owl. :rolleyes:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Rionn

Post by Rionn »

The webcams of Beleef de lente will start again on the first of March! http://www.beleefdelente.nl/
So we can follow many different birds by laying eggs and feeding their chicks.
Enjoy it!
leonia

Post by leonia »

Rionn wrote:The webcams of Beleef de lente will start again on the first of March! http://www.beleefdelente.nl/
So we can follow many different birds by laying eggs and feeding their chicks.
Enjoy it!
Thank you Rionn! I got the news too today, but until now the cams haven't been started. May be through out the day! Enjoy it!
Tom

Post by Tom »

Leonia and Rionn and other interested people,
I just saw that the cams have started. Only the stork (ooievaar) is already there.
There is also a cam for a purple heron and the peregrine has three cams now! Looks very promising.
Bye
Bosuil

Post by Bosuil »

As last year, translations of the "Beleef de Lente" logbook posts can be found here:

http://www.genietvandelente.nl/viewforum.php?f=156
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Bosuil wrote:As last year, translations of the "Beleef de Lente" logbook posts can be found here:

http://www.genietvandelente.nl/viewforum.php?f=156
:hi: Bosuil..looking forward to the arrival of the Litttle Owls. :thumbs:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
leonia

Post by leonia »

Yesterday in the early morning just round dawn I heard them both talking to each other and then having a little flirtation. It happened outside cam-view but was nevertheless very entertaining . . . :whistling:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

leonia wrote:Yesterday in the early morning just round dawn I heard them both talking to each other and then having a little flirtation. It happened outside cam-view but was nevertheless very entertaining . . . :whistling:

Yes.. :loveshower: all the cams are open exept the Swallow and the Cranes.
Next to the Little Owl cam is a little video of the reunion. :thumbs: very beautiful,and same for the Falcon cam some videos there too. (you can see the falcons 'kissing'.. or are they exchanging news.. looks like kisses to me. :rolleyes: )
:D
Emily Dickinson
leonia

Post by leonia »

Maybe they do, but they won't tell us . . . :mrgreen:
Little owls are very cute together, very nice to look at.
This morning again at about 6.30 Central European Time: you could here them both in the background whispering sweet nothings. :whistling:
And now the dawn chorus is starting again. :shake:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

And there is a third cam -- I hope we do not just get a better view of pigeons harassing Little Owls.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

alice44 wrote:And there is a third cam -- I hope we do not just get a better view of pigeons harassing Little Owls.
Alice don't even think about it. :slap:
Emily Dickinson
mei2k

Post by mei2k »

macdoum

Post by macdoum »

:rant: .. sadly the Stock Doves/Pigeons.. :sad: are back again and blocking the doorway. :cry:
:help:
Emily Dickinson

Return to “Owls”