Steenuil ~ Little Owl ~ on Beleef de Lente

mei2k

Re: Steenuil ~ Little Owl ~ on Beleef de Lente

Post by mei2k »

It was beautiful! The little one was so confident, he jumped so we could see his legs :2thumbsup:
So brave!
I will miss them! Yet I wish them a long happy life with plenty of food and flights full of joy and a nice spouse next year :rolleyes:
Mariya

Post by Mariya »

macdoum wrote:I went 'exploring' on the Little Owl forum and found this treasure-chest of photographs . There are 290 s'thing pics there but well worth seeing. :chick: ;

http://www.noctua.org/page15.html
Thank you for the link. Vpecheatalenie got a great viewing! I want to go to the owls:) hold them, stroke them. I can imagine what positive emotions were ornithologists, when they are given the opportunity to hold them in their hands, pat.

Interestingly, this is their house on the photo? http://athene.web-log.nl/photos/steenui ... _0195.html
mei2k

Post by mei2k »

Parent has just visited the nest!
I couldn't take the capture with owl inside, but that was definitely an adult owl
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Did it cry pitifully?
mei2k

Post by mei2k »

alice44 wrote:Did it cry pitifully?
S/he had food in the beak and was calling, I can't judge whether it was pitifully or not :unsure:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

mei2k wrote: S/he had food in the beak and was calling, I can't judge whether it was pitifully or not :unsure:
I am pretty sure some Owl calls that seem pitiful are not. But really when the parent was there and seemed to be looking for a chick it really seemed pitiful and having a beak full for a chick who has left...

But I agree with you that second chick seemed to take off with confidence and purpose, but I hope it did not get lost.
mei2k

Post by mei2k »

It's very strange - to come back when the owlets are already gone, maybe the first time it's ok, but you wrote that an adult has already visited the nest before. :puzzled: I hope they didn't lose their chicks. And I hope the first visit was from dad and second from mom. Now they both know :)
alice44

Post by alice44 »

mei2k wrote:It's very strange - to come back when the owlets are already gone, maybe the first time it's ok, but you wrote that an adult has already visited the nest before. :puzzled: I hope they didn't lose their chicks. And I hope the first visit was from dad and second from mom. Now they both know :)
One visit from each parent should be enough and I also wondered if 2 owlets didn't seem like enough, so it was worth another check.

I love these little owls almost as much as the Tawnys.
Mariya

Post by Mariya »

Here you can see pictures of our little owls http://www.pbase.com/buiter/stoned :loveshower:
And here to read the information http://www.athene.web-log.nl/

But I do not understand the message of June 30, 2010 8:38 and June 27, 2010 at 3:26. Lost Child? Died? Check out who knows English and please write. I was beginning to worry. Although it worth to know the truth?
Mariya

Post by Mariya »

The article is called: "Uitgevlogen ... en dan" and "Laatste echte velddag".
Here it will be rather what I said at the time. Sorry.
mei2k

Post by mei2k »

The first article gives common information about the first chick who flew away. He was ringed, he has to hide somewhere after leaving the nest; chicks rather often die during first weeks out and these researchers are studying causes of deaths - the most often are drowning and getting stuck (somewhere? I don't know what is veedrinkbakken)

I didn't find there the second article you were talking about.

By the way, it is not English there, it's Dutch. I usually use Google Translator to translate from Dutch. http://translate.google.com/
--------------------------
Первая статья дает общую информацию о том, что первый птенец покинул гнездо вскоре после кольцевания, и теперь ему придется найти укромное место, чтобы спрятаться. Очень часто птенцы погибают в первые недели жизни на воле. Голландские орнитологи изучают причины смертей - чаще всего птенцы тонут или застревают где-то (гугл не перевел с голландского, где именно).

Вторую статью, о которой Вы говорили, я не нашла на этом сайте.

И кстати, все статьи там не на английском, а на голландском языке. Как правило, я использую Google Translator для перевода текста с голландского языка. http://translate.google.com/
mei2k

Post by mei2k »

OK I found the second article, it says about some field activity - people who are in charge of the Steenuil stream were checking the other nests on their research territory. The last clutch was on 21 of May, they found a chick of 8-9 days old. The earliest resulted in one chick who was lively and trying to fly, over 30 days of age. They found one empty nest, the chick from which must have been 18 days old, but they didn't find him there; they didn't know the reason. The very first clutch (don't know which exactly) they've never found. The nesting season is over.
-----------------------
Я нашла вторую статью, в ней говорится от полевых исследованиях людей, которые ведут камеру Воробьиных сычей, на подотчетной им территории. Они проверили несколько гнезд - в одном был птенец 8-9 дней от роду, по подсчетам это была последняя кладка - от 21 мая, одному птенцу было более 30 дней и он уже пытался летать и очень заинтересовался их присутствием, одно гнездо оказалось полностью пустым, несмотря на то, что птенцу в нем должно было быть в момент визита около 18 дней; причин исчезновения установить не удалось. Самую первую кладку из всех (неясно где именно, чья именно) они так и не нашли. Сезон гнездования подошел к концу.
Mariya

Post by Mariya »

mei2k, thank you, for detailed translation !!!! So there it was not about those owls.
Very sorry for all these little owls. It would seem that leaving the nest, they should be close to his parents to safety, as many deaths among them. In the big world, a beautiful and interesting, for the inexperienced fledglings so much danger.

I will try once again to lay out a link to a photo album. I hope that now opens.
http://www.pbase.com/buiter/stoned
alice44

Post by alice44 »

mei2k you do so well with the translation!

I get such a mess from the Dutch I feel almost as lost when I am done as when I began. So many Dutch words make some logical sense in English -- you can see the relationship between English and Dutch words but the grammar comes out so funny.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Mariya wrote:mei2k, thank you, for detailed translation !!!! So there it was not about those owls.
Very sorry for all these little owls. It would seem that leaving the nest, they should be close to his parents to safety, as many deaths among them. In the big world, a beautiful and interesting, for the inexperienced fledglings so much danger.

I will try once again to lay out a link to a photo album. I hope that now opens.
They are adorable handfuls.
visitor

Post by visitor »

Mariya wrote: I will try once again to lay out a link to a photo album. I hope that now opens.
Oh, it opened now, thank you, Mariya! Beautiful pictures, the chicks are so cute!!! :loveshower:
a storkaholic
mei2k

Post by mei2k »

alice44 wrote:mei2k you do so well with the translation!

I get such a mess from the Dutch I feel almost as lost when I am done as when I began. So many Dutch words make some logical sense in English -- you can see the relationship between English and Dutch words but the grammar comes out so funny.
I was trained for a few years to be a translator, but the training wasn't very good and after all I changed my mind and became a web-designer. I guess university taught me to catch main ideas in any text that you don't understand (it is needed to pass the exams and tests :laugh: )
Actually I find Dutch rather difficult, very strange language:)
mei2k

Post by mei2k »

Why did they shut down all the cameras on BdL??? Does anybody know? :shock: :faint:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

mei2k wrote:Why did they shut down all the cameras on BdL??? Does anybody know? :shock: :faint:
mei2k,as the season has ended and I presume all the nests are empty now they have said 'Goodbye and hhope to see us all next season'. see here;
http://genietvandelente.nl/viewtopic.ph ... &start=210
There are the last blogs posted.
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
mei2k

Post by mei2k »

I read the posts, but nests are not empty! My lovely barn owlets are still there, they are too young to leave, and also white storks didn't leave yet. That's why I am so surprised. I was hoping to see them leave their nests, but now I know I won't :cry:

Return to “Owls”