Steenuil ~ Little Owl ~ on Beleef de Lente

Bleggi

Re: Steenuil ~ Little Owl ~ on Beleef de Lente

Post by Bleggi »

Nothing unusual happened in the meantime. The two owls are sitting in their home during the day more or less - until evening. During the night they are still out.
One is sitting inside (sleeping well)
the other one in the other room :mrgreen: (cleaning)
and sometimes I see them appear outside before one is leaving

They are to watch often while cleaning not only their own - also the other one. Today a very big pigeon was sitting outside. One owl was sitting in her bedroom and calling very loud - calling long enough until the other owl appeared and the pigeon left. I hope it will be better this year than last year when a pigeon threw a little owl out of the home.
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

:loveshower: :loveshower: 15:31
15:32
15:33
15:34
First egg :hi:
I dont know when it happened - the pics show when I saw it. Keep on - little owl!
Bosuil

Post by Bosuil »

Bleggi wrote:First egg :hi:
I dont know when it happened - the pics show when I saw it. Keep on - little owl!
Hi Bleggi - it happened between 14:00 and 14:15 this afternoon acc. to the clip

"Eerste ei (= First egg)".
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

these little "bubble" owls are wonderful - thanks for the news!
RPPinUSA

Post by RPPinUSA »

I am new to this forum but not new to the Steenuils. I am very excited about the first egg being laid and look forward to watching another new Steenuil family. Thank you for letting me join this forum.

RPPinUSA
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

RPPin USA you are very welcome here. :gathering: Don't forget to click on Board index and have a look at all the other nests that are busy right now. :wave:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

RPPinUSA wrote:I am new to this forum but not new to the Steenuils. I am very excited about the first egg being laid and look forward to watching another new Steenuil family. Thank you for letting me join this forum.

RPPinUSA
Welcome on our Owlside - I love this bird and I am happy that you are with me now. I am waiting for the next egg - let us see when it will happen.
Greetings from Bleggi :hi:
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

The second egg appeared this night at 2:10 am. This tells the video of the side
15:50 I was allowed to see it for a very short time

http://www.beleefdelente.nl/vogel/steenuil
There you find nice videos - you dont have to understand the language. Sorry that there are no sides in english or german.
RPPinUSA

Post by RPPinUSA »

She is a good mom. So nice to see a second egg. The new doorway to the outdoors, I am guessing it is to discourage the other birds. I am sometimes concerned that the hole is too small? The owls seem to struggle a little to get in and out.
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

RPP: I watched the little owls last year and saw some of the videos. Some pigeons went in the little house more often and in the end they threw out one of the small ones. I was crying when I saw it.
Its like a treasure to watch the videos but also being able to watch the owls life.
Regards from Bleggi :hi:

edit: I just watched the last video (24th) where an owl brought a larva and held it to the egg for feeding. But the egg did not like it and so the owl kept it flying away with it.
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

:loveshower: Third egg
Image :hi:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

RPPinUSA wrote:She is a good mom. So nice to see a second egg. The new doorway to the outdoors, I am guessing it is to discourage the other birds. I am sometimes concerned that the hole is too small? The owls seem to struggle a little to get in and out.
:hi: Some other people are concerned about the size of the entrance hole as well but the Little Owl seems to be coping and its much better than the worry of pigeons nesting in the halllway entrance,like last year (and the year before. :rant: ). So many people complained then but the reply was 'Its Nature,we cannot interfere' !

Bleggi thank you for the news everyday. :nod:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

I see one egg way over to the right, and the other two close together ... does that mean anything?
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

NancyM wrote:I see one egg way over to the right, and the other two close together ... does that mean anything?
There is a video about the third egg and that the little owl needed three steps to get the eggs together. That is done in the meanwhile. But yesterday there was another thing that me worried! Not a thing, but a pigeon:

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image :hi:
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

macdoum: I love to share the news with all of you, you are welcome.
I hope everything will go well with the owl family and we can watch sweet young ones, too. Since we dont have the estonian owl cam I will watch this one. I love this birds so much.
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

Today I noticed, that we dont see a second owl in the left room, when he it sitting on the right side. I saw the Lady-Owl sleeping on the left side, turned to the cam of the middle room and saw a bird slipping into it from the left side. Going back there was still sleeping the first owl I saw.
10:34
Image Image :hi:
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

Since some days Lady Owl is sitting on her eggs most of the time. Mr. Owl brings food - sometimes a mouse but most of the time he brings "meikever" maybugs. One day he brought one in the livingroom. She took it, worked a bit on it and brought it in the other room. Here she put sometimes what she doesnt like to eat at once. She left to her eggs and sat down. But the maybug was not dead and walked a bit and was hiding between two pieces of wood on the floor.
Later on Lady Owl heard anything scratching and went to have a look what happens over there. She found the meal and ate it at once.
In the evening she left sometimes, but not very long. Its too dangerous to let the eggs alone. I am looking forward to the babies of her that will come soon, I hope. Then I will keep you informed about it.
Greetings Bleggi
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

no news at the moment :sleeping:
Bosuil

Post by Bosuil »

Hatching time getting close at Beleef de Lente Little Owls, Mom talking to the eggs and eggs talk back!

Site: http://www.beleefdelente.nl/vogel/steenuil

Clip with chicks squeaking, from last night: http://www.beleefdelente.nl/clips/669
RPPinUSA

Post by RPPinUSA »

I just logged on! We have an owlet :loveshower:
A very vocal and very active owlet. :bounce:

Return to “Owls”