Looduskalender
http://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/

Steenuil ~ Little Owl ~ on Beleef de Lente
http://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=176
Page 3 of 51

Author:  abvgd [ May 13th, 2010, 3:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steenuil ~ Little Owl ~ on Beleef de Lente



Image


Evening, dove does not allow Mr Owl go on the hunt:


Image

Author:  macdoum [ May 14th, 2010, 12:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steenuil ~ Little Owl ~ on Beleef de Lente

THX abvgd for the update.
Those doves will not let the Little Owl nest in peace. :slap:
Do you see how the dove/s are so wary of Mrs.Owl ? They tip-toe cautiously past the nest hole. :rotf: They are afraid of Mrs. Owl but not Mr. Owl.
Mr. Owl has not got the fighting spirit same as his mate. :rant:
Doves,please go away and leave this nest in peace.

Author:  abvgd [ May 14th, 2010, 2:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steenuil ~ Little Owl ~ on Beleef de Lente

macdoum wrote:
THX abvgd for the update.
Those doves will not let the Little Owl nest in peace. :slap:
Do you see how the dove/s are so wary of Mrs.Owl ? They tip-toe cautiously past the nest hole. :rotf: They are afraid of Mrs. Owl but not Mr. Owl.
Mr. Owl has not got the fighting spirit same as his mate. :rant:
Doves,please go away and leave this nest in peace.


Yes, they are afraid Mrs Owl, they know how she can fight!
I hope that they will change their minds to go back.

Author:  abvgd [ May 14th, 2010, 3:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steenuil ~ Little Owl ~ on Beleef de Lente

A crow took something and flew away:


and in the evening he stole three dove's eggs :) and a one owl's mouse :(

Author:  alice44 [ May 14th, 2010, 3:39 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steenuil ~ Little Owl ~ on Beleef de Lente

Good grief this year there is such violence.


But maybe now the crow has done what the Owls could not -- I hope the crow cannot get into their part of the nest.

Author:  macdoum [ May 15th, 2010, 12:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steenuil ~ Little Owl ~ on Beleef de Lente

alice44 wrote:
Good grief this year there is such violence.


But maybe now the crow has done what the Owls could not -- I hope the crow cannot get into their part of the nest.


I doubt he could fit,Alice.
I have just been there tonight and the doves have been back again today.. Friday.
Apparently they didn't stay.. :rant:

Author:  abvgd [ May 15th, 2010, 6:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steenuil ~ Little Owl ~ on Beleef de Lente

Dove has attacked Mr Owl =(
Image

Image

Image

Author:  alice44 [ May 15th, 2010, 6:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steenuil ~ Little Owl ~ on Beleef de Lente

Oh my

I watched and the owls seemed very busy and there was no dove and I thought phew -- but I guess I was just watching at a lucky time.

Author:  abvgd [ May 15th, 2010, 7:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steenuil ~ Little Owl ~ on Beleef de Lente


Author:  alice44 [ May 15th, 2010, 8:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steenuil ~ Little Owl ~ on Beleef de Lente

dove is on the porch

2 hours later that dove is still sitting on the porch. She should know by now that the crow is not going to let her raise young here, even if she can beat up Mr. Owl

Author:  macdoum [ May 15th, 2010, 10:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steenuil ~ Little Owl ~ on Beleef de Lente

Maybe I should go up there and take my bazooka ? :rant: :rolleyes: :rotf:

Author:  alice44 [ May 15th, 2010, 10:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steenuil ~ Little Owl ~ on Beleef de Lente

These evening the little owls have been very busy. I think Mr. Owl has made several deliveries and Mrs Owl has put a couple of little things into the dove corner -- where the crow can get at them. -- I think they were cockroaches or something like that, so maybe not something the crow would get too excited about.

Author:  macdoum [ May 19th, 2010, 1:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steenuil ~ Little Owl ~ on Beleef de Lente

alice44 wrote:
These evening the little owls have been very busy. I think Mr. Owl has made several deliveries and Mrs Owl has put a couple of little things into the dove corner -- where the crow can get at them. -- I think they were cockroaches or something like that, so maybe not something the crow would get too excited about.


Alice,they call them 'Cockchaffers' =my beetle
They are bugs,or Sprang Beetle. genus Melontha /fam/Scarabaeidae. !!
(thanks to Beleef people for the info)
see here;http://www.varsity.co.uk/news/2242 sadly no photo there.
Didn't find a photo yet. :slap: Here;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rachel_s/3513844660/

Author:  alice44 [ May 19th, 2010, 4:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steenuil ~ Little Owl ~ on Beleef de Lente

Interestingly I think that flickr account belongs to a woman in England I met through StumbleUpon. She sends me science & nature sites every now and then.

Author:  macdoum [ May 20th, 2010, 1:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steenuil ~ Little Owl ~ on Beleef de Lente

alice44 wrote:
Interestingly I think that flickr account belongs to a woman in England I met through StumbleUpon. She sends me science & nature sites every now and then.

Then its a small world Alice.!! I hope she will forgive me for showing one of her (excellent) photos here. She seems a very skilled person esp. in macro-photos. :nod: Her photos of the insect world are very good.

Author:  alice44 [ May 20th, 2010, 7:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steenuil ~ Little Owl ~ on Beleef de Lente

I just checked they are her pages - given the name and avatar I was pretty sure. I am sure she will be pleased as punch!

I seem remember her writing about getting a macro lens and how bored her kids got when they went out with her while she was photographing.

No sign of the Dove just now,

Author:  alice44 [ May 20th, 2010, 8:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steenuil ~ Little Owl ~ on Beleef de Lente

ooops 8:08 NL time (I think)

The Dove is out there standing on the stoop.

The video from 15-05 is very dramatic!

Author:  macdoum [ May 21st, 2010, 1:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steenuil ~ Little Owl ~ on Beleef de Lente

They are expecting a hatching this Pentecost weekend. So hope all goes well.

Author:  abvgd [ May 21st, 2010, 3:05 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steenuil ~ Little Owl ~ on Beleef de Lente

Nothing very interesting happened yesterday, but I made two video.

1.
Doves came several times on a morning.
As a rule they sat on ledge, but one time dove went into nest box and sat under the camera.


2.
Mr Owl brought a mouse and talk with Mrs Owl.
Image

Mrs Owl eat mouse and 2 fat fly (food come to Mrs Owl itself :D ).
At the end a Tit paid a visit to Mrs Owl.


=)

Author:  alice44 [ May 21st, 2010, 3:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steenuil ~ Little Owl ~ on Beleef de Lente

I used the word stoop and I really meant ledge.


Mrs Owl seemed very pleased with herself when she ate the first fly.

Page 3 of 51 All times are UTC + 2 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/