SWR Uhu Webcam (Germany, Eifel)

spatz

Re: Owls Around the World

Post by spatz »

:hi:
new message by stefan
Bea

Post by Bea »

Thanks for the hints - I´ll try to translate with my non-perfect English :rolleyes:

The planned 2nd try for an adoption of the owlet couldn´t be made, because the owlet in the nest was several days younger than our owlet and so the competition for food would have been a very unequal one, as it is a very diffucult year with less food at all.

So the owlet is now with an owl couple and its owlets in an aviary. If these shouldn´t adopt him, too, it will be grown, fed and trained together with other orphant owlets to get reintroduced as a "ready owl" into the wild.

In the German region "Eifel", where the cam is located, this year are only few owl couples breeding (that´s also the reason why no more adoption familys could be found), when they controlled the breeding places they found in many nests no young owlets.

In the nests with young owlets were mostly only 1 or 2, and often not in a good nutritional status. The lots of rain during the last weeks didn´t make the situation better.
A nearly dead young owlet could be saved in the last seconds when a vet gave it a sugar liquid ....

I´ll keep my fingers crossed for our little owlet, that it will find its way in a good owl-life :2thumbsup:
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
spatz

Post by spatz »

as well that there are people like stefan and his colleagues
Thank you very much :loveshower: :loveshower:
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

:hi: Bea, there is a message from Stefan Brücher dated 06.09.2013 – could you please translate it?
Today the nest place was visited by an eagle owl (Lotte?), which spent there some time. The second owl was nearby, the voice was audible. :loveshower:
Bea

Post by Bea »

Hi Mamicja,

I´ll try it :D
-------------------------------

Already last autumn webcam watchers from the Netherlands supposed that new Eagle Owls could be in the neighbourhood of the the Eagle Owl-couple that we can see in the webcam (Lotte).

A hunter from a neighboured territory gave a hint to Stefan - and he found an until now unknown Eagle Owl nest. Not far from this nest was a successful breeding already in 2002.

When controlling this new nest Stefan found out, that two young Eagle Owls have fledged there and are still around in the area.
Maybe the bad food situation this year became even worse for the Webcam-Eagle-Owls by this new neighbours.
Not coming to a successful breeding becomes more clear now for Stefan Brücher.

Meanwhile the young "Adoption-Eagle-Owl" was trained to catch living prey and was set free on Sunday, 1. September.

The new two young Eagle Owls are still near and following their parents, but the Webcam-Eagle-Owl-couple (Lotte) already appeared at their webcam-nest for autumn courtship display.
---------

Mamicja, so it seems that the Eagle Owl on your screenshots are Lotte and her male audible near :loveshower:
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Thanks a lot for the informations and pictures/video's

wow, nice pictures Mamicja
( I'm always forgot to look there :blush: )
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

The next visit of an eagle owl.
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

Today’s visitor (sometimes in the evenings you can only hear an owl’s voice)
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

The „UHU’ place was today visited by an owl (there was no closeups).

There was also another visitor (weasel? marten?), but it moved too quickly and was too dark to recognize.
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

Today evening an owl appeared. Nearby the second one was audible. Stunning vocalization!
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

Today’s visit of two eagle owls. They moved stones – it looked like seeking for a nest place.
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

The next visit (male, I think, waiting for a Lady Owl)
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

Short visit of two owls, one by one. The second one looked like Lotte.

Katinka

Post by Katinka »

Dzień dobry or Good evening, Mamicja!

I am very glad to come across the last pages of the Owls' thread - and a big thanks!, for you are following "the" German Eagle owl webcam. Great impressions I discovered now! :thumbs: I WAS following it since 2011, but as the breed this year didn't come off, and the idea to let them adopt a foreign owl child had failed, I lost the cam out of my mind. Admitted, the black storks are my favourite wild animals, and LK donates us with such a brilliant cam technique...

So, what I may add as a general info for this kind of owl in Germany is: They have the so called Herbst-Balz, autumn mating season.
The mild and often sunny character of this year's autumn here (cam situated in my region, 80 km distance) has strengthen the mating spirit, no question.
As I have saved the YT channel in my favourites where you can look through a large row of short sequences, here the link:
http://www.youtube.com/user/bdlowls/videos
En groote BEDANKT to the owl community in the Netherlands behind this channel!
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

Thank you Katinka for this interesting link. I added it to my favorites.
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

http://webcam.pixtura.de/SWR_UHU/index.php

An owl (I think female, maybe Lotte?) visited the nest

Katinka

Post by Katinka »

Now very clear: spring-winter is decreasing with the temperatures. Birds will come to an end with first mating impulses. So Mamicja - you did some great catches, to "ban" our Uhu Owls by daylight. I didn't, and even on the 30'-screenshots they weren't to see...

I am looking forward to having some real cold days in the valley!
Katinka

Post by Katinka »

A screenshot of our German great Owl, please...
I'm catching a very calm view on him, sitting there in the harsh cold since quite a while...
Bea

Post by Bea »

Violá ;)

Return to “Owls”